6th gear in the 6-speed manual transmission - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

6th gear in the 6-speed manual transmission

How many of you hate the 6th gear in the 6-speed manual transmission of your V6 Mustang?

I know it is designed for the gas mileage, but this is the first car that requires me to shift back to the 5th gear, just for an incline on the interstate. Otherwise, I can hear the engine being lugged unhappily. This doesn't make me feel my car is very powerful at all.

Should I consider to replace the 2.73 gears with 3.31 ones just for the sake of my 6th gear?

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
PONY Member

Try a 1.4L motor with 6 gears... Going from 6th to 3rd for every little thing gets old pretty fast.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
If you do replace the gear go up to the 3.55:1 at least. Performance improvement is much better. I hate the way the way the auto tranny shifts. It's weird?

2012 Candy Red 3.7 Cyclone {RIP}
2014 3.7 Cyclone DIB\BMR rear lca;s\ American Racing razor 18x9\275/40/18 Yokohama S-drives\Boss 302 strut brace\Airaid "tube"& aFe inverted Dry-S drop-in\UPR catch can\Koni sports\J&M cc plates\DSS 3.5" 1 piece
Bassani\BMR adj. panhard\

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
Apprentice

I have 3.31s from the factory and do not have this issue, above 100km/hr I always shift to 6th. I usually drive around 120km/h though and have no problems passing. Minimal sacrifice to fuel economy too, I'm average 10L/100km mainly city. No complaints.

2011 V6 6MT, Kona Blue, Premium, heated Saddle leather, 3.31, HID
***Procharged***
Mods: AIRAID CAI, Bama, Magnaflow Street CB, BBK S. Headers, BBK Catted X-Pipe, BBK 73TB, Strut Tower Brace, SR Springs 1.5, Koni STR.T Shocks/Struts, Bumpsteer Kit, Panhard Bar, LCAs, PowerStop Brake Kit, Black MGP Caliper Covers, GT500 Rear Diffuser, Roush Side Splitters, Stillen Front Chin, 30% Tint, LEDs, Black Super Snake Stripes, Polk/Alpine, Audio Control LC7i, RF 10" Sub, 19" Staggered AMRs
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post
If you do replace the gear go up to the 3.55:1 at least. Performance improvement is much better. I hate the way the way the auto tranny shifts. It's weird?
Why I have heard that the 6R80 is a pretty great tranny.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv4spd View Post
I know it is designed for the gas mileage, but this is the first car that requires me to shift back to the 5th gear, just for an incline on the interstate.
Is it also the first car you've owned with an overdrive ratio? What you're experiencing is the nature of the overdrive beast and happens to some extent with my GT, too ... maybe not QUITE as noticeably, because I have two more cylinders and another hundred horses to call on, but it's still pretty sluggish compared to 5th, which is the 1:1 ratio that you may be used to.

The whole point of an overdrive ratio is to drop the engine RPMs way down to a point where the engine is loafing along, putting out just enough power to maintain a steady cruising speed while returning better fuel economy. You can't fault the powertrain for feeling down on power when the engine is operating at a mechanical disadvantage.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

The GT comes with 3.31, and most people upgrade it to 3.73. That is a mere 13% icnrease.

V6 comes with 2.73, so 3.31 would be a huge 21% increase already. Isn't 3.55 too much for the RPM at highway speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

What kind of hills are you going up on the highway that you feel the need to downshift to be able to climb them?

My '12 V6 manual 2.73 car never had any issues with going uphill in 6th with the cruise set at 65.

And it would lug itself around town in 6th just fine down to 1000 rpm.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
Banned

OP: 3.73 fixed this for me, also fixed the "too high first" for aggressive starts too. I think its perfect for this car.
Banned
V6 Member
S197 Member

That's pretty normal on the stock rear end; if you don't like it, just upgrade your gears. With my 3.73s I sit at about 2500 rpm on the highway and my 6R80 never needs to down shift (and I still get 27-28 highway mpg and my city has gone up from 18ish to 20). DON'T FEAR THE GEAR
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
What kind of hills are you going up on the highway that you feel the need to downshift to be able to climb them?

My '12 V6 manual 2.73 car never had any issues with going uphill in 6th with the cruise set at 65.

And it would lug itself around town in 6th just fine down to 1000 rpm.
Bingo, same here. 40mph in town? drop that trans into 6th. mine has no issues chugging along at 60-65 on the highway either. and I have some big hills on my commute

==2012 Kona Blue Mustang V6==
==1995 Neon Coupe==
PONY Member

If it's not bucking and shaking it's not lugging. Just because an engine sounds like it's providing power while under load doesn't mean it's lugging.

Lugging usually happens at very low RPM, close to idle and when demanding high power. You'll feel it then. It'll buck like a wild horse. I've never seen any car lug at anything over 1,000 RPM. Even my very low powered MGB will accelerate smoothly uphill at a 1,000 RPM or more.
PONY Member

Cool

I have to say in Texas the 6th gear is fine. That's at 75 MPH. Now if I want to get to 90 MPH i would go to 4th. Coming from a fusion back to a mustang has been great. The fusion also would have shifted from 6th to 4th to make the same move. Yes I'm spoiled as all roads arond here are 70+ outside of town in any direction.

Side note punched the V6 passing today. At 45 MPH I shifted into 2nd, got a 3rd (traction control kicked in) and caught a small tire spin going from 3rd to 4th. Happy has a Camel on hump day.

2014 Black 3.7 6M. 20 inch black bullets, Pypes Axle back, matte black super snake stripes, next up JLT intake.
2011 Mustang 5.0 Race Red. gone and was sick
2011 Mustang 3.7, gone sold 3 times since, that I know of.
PONY Member

When I replaced the stock tires on my base v6, I went down to 215/55R17s. This changed the effective rear gear ratio to about a 2.95, which helped the car a lot. It drives smoother, sixth gear doesn't lug like before, it turns in better and has better feel in the steering. Also it sits a little lower. These tires have stiffer side walls which gives better steering feel and where about $30 cheaper than the stock replacements were. They are V rated to. I know everybody throws a bunch of money at bigger tires and wheel to improve the cars handling, these smaller tire have greatly improved the driveability of the car, it corners flatter and the shifts better spaced.
PONY Member

I've got the Performance Package (3.55's) and I never have a problem... I love having 6th gear, it helps get the RPM's down to about 2200 on the highway...

2012 Premium V6 (manual) Mustang Club of America with Performance Package, comfort package, electronics package, backup sensors/camera, lava red leather interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page