Engine warm up speed - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Engine warm up speed

One reason I chose a V6 over the GT is the faster warm up speed of smaller engines.

I do short distance driving (less than 2 miles) a lot. My old 1.6 liter, 4-cylinder Mazda protege would reach operating temperature in a couple of blocks. But even my V6 Mustang would take about a mile of driving to get to the normal operating temperature. Considering that it is detrimental to the engine to do heavy accelerations when the engine is cold, I do not think it is fun to take out my V6 Mustang for short distance driving.

I wonder if the auto makers could develop some new technology to warm up their engines to operating temperature really quick.

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
Grimace427

Mercedes has water pumps that are deactivated until reaching a certain temp. There are a lot of things going on to decrease the amount of time it takes to reach operating temp mostly due to emissions and fuel economy. A cold engine consumes more fuel than one at operating temp.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
Rookie

Other than engine block heaters that have to be plugged into AC power, we're pretty much out of luck in that department afaik. It'd be nice during winter if they could at least find a way to make heaters blow warm air faster, though .. I hate freezing my ass off waiting for the coolant to warm up!

2013 V6 Premium A6 - Airaid CAI, Bama 93H Tune, FRPP 3.55 gears, Dynomax Catback

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Interesting.

How about a block heater for that purpose? I think it is more useful than a butt heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Mercedes has water pumps that are deactivated until reaching a certain temp. There are a lot of things going on to decrease the amount of time it takes to reach operating temp mostly due to emissions and fuel economy. A cold engine consumes more fuel than one at operating temp.

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

It should be possible to develop a block heaters powered by the DC.

How about a grille shutter? It would even be good for the aerodynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ad View Post
Other than engine block heaters that have to be plugged into AC power, we're pretty much out of luck in that department afaik. It'd be nice during winter if they could at least find a way to make heaters blow warm air faster, though .. I hate freezing my ass off waiting for the coolant to warm up!

===
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

OP, you're over-thinking all this.

The engines computer controls negate most of the detrimental affects of driving the engine cold, it's not like old school motors that needed the carburetor to be warm so the choke would open fully and allow it to function properly.

Within the first few minutes of operation your Mustangs engine is warm enough to operate without worry.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
Banned

Sounds like youre one of the few perfect for an electric car.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
GT Member

interesting.... i started my car up yesterday when i was leaving my car meet, and my buddy in his 2012 5.0 started his up at the same time. We both left together and came up to a light and hes like lets run, and i looked down and my car was still cold and i didnt want to get on it yet, i told him that and he said his needle is in the middle..

now it could of had something to do with my heat being on in the car when i started it, having a lower degree thermostat or my high power procharger fan... but his car was at operating temps a lot faster then mine.

but i do agree with you, making short distance trips is annoying especially with a manual, the car really rives like crap when its cold. it bucks more, and just doest feel as fluid as it does when it is fully warmed up.

Thats why I take my jeep if im just going around the block, it doesnt care if its warm or cold, it just goes like a jeep should

Grabber Blue 2012 V6 6-Speed Procharger P-1SC-1 @ 8psi tuned by Mustang Magic, Tial-Q BOV 3.55 Gears, Spec flywheel, exedy stage-3 clutch, 4in Alum. Driveshaft, Lethal Off-Road X, 12" resonators, 2.5" exhaust all the way back, QTP electric cutouts, GT500 Axlebacks, Barton Shifter, FRPP Strut tower bar, J&M LCA's, Steeda UCA ,CHE adj. panhard bar, FRPP P-Springs...lots of show mods
409/335 on a 98 degree day -- [email protected] - Car has 11's in it!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

But the viscosity of the engine oil will be significantly higher when cold. Higher viscosity means lower engine oil flow, bad lubrication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
OP, you're over-thinking all this.

The engines computer controls negate most of the detrimental affects of driving the engine cold, it's not like old school motors that needed the carburetor to be warm so the choke would open fully and allow it to function properly.

Within the first few minutes of operation your Mustangs engine is warm enough to operate without worry.

===
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Maybe my assumption is wrong, and both V8 and 4 cylinder engines warm up quicker than our V6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebyu12 View Post
interesting.... i started my car up yesterday when i was leaving my car meet, and my buddy in his 2012 5.0 started his up at the same time. We both left together and came up to a light and hes like lets run, and i looked down and my car was still cold and i didnt want to get on it yet, i told him that and he said his needle is in the middle..

now it could of had something to do with my heat being on in the car when i started it, having a lower degree thermostat or my high power procharger fan... but his car was at operating temps a lot faster then mine.

but i do agree with you, making short distance trips is annoying especially with a manual, the car really rives like crap when its cold. it bucks more, and just doest feel as fluid as it does when it is fully warmed up.

Thats why I take my jeep if im just going around the block, it doesnt care if its warm or cold, it just goes like a jeep should

===
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv4spd View Post
But the viscosity of the engine oil will be significantly higher when cold. Higher viscosity means lower engine oil flow, bad lubrication.
No, this is why they make multi-viscosity oil.

But you believe what you want since you seem determined to be unhappy about your engine taking more than a few seconds to warm up.

Banned

Engines take time to warm up. Period. If you don't like it, i'd recommend something like this:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page