Help! Engine overheating after gear change. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Help! Engine overheating after gear change.

I just had a very reputable company swap out my stock gears for 3.73 gears. On the way home the temperature gauge went to high and the temp warning light came on. I am bringing it in tomorrow but if anyone has a clue I would appreciate the info. Thanks

Modifications Performance: Airaid CAI, 93P Tune by Torq, Dynomax Exhaust Interior: Auto Headlamp Switch, Leather Seat Upgrade, Infinity Speakers, Billet Chrome: Door Locks, Radio Display Trim, Door Lock/Unlock Covers, Map Light Button Covers, Air Vent Covers Exterior: Chrome Door Handles, Faux Gas Lid Delete; 3.7 Emblems, Stock Wheels Painted Gloss Black, Tinted Lights, Dark Gray Rocker and Hood Crease Stripes, Upper and Lower Billet Grille Overlays Engine Compartment: Custom Strut Brace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
PONY Member

Which year is your Mustang, and how many miles does it have? Where is the coolant temperature gauge needle? All the way to the H mark, or just beyond the middle?

So your Mustang was working fine before the gear swap? The only thing related to a gear swap I can think of is the higher engine load under acceleration, and the higher RPM, after gear swap. They shouldn't touch your engine for this work.

Is your coolant level good? Did you check to see if there is any engine code? I wonder if your thermostat is stuck closed.

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
Banned

Brakes dragging? Forgot to put oil in diff? Problem with tune for new gears?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv4spd View Post
Which year is your Mustang, and how many miles does it have? Where is the coolant temperature gauge needle? All the way to the H mark, or just beyond the middle?

So your Mustang was working fine before the gear swap? The only thing related to a gear swap I can think of is the higher engine load under acceleration, and the higher RPM, after gear swap. They shouldn't touch your engine for this work.

Is your coolant level good? Did you check to see if there is any engine code? I wonder if your thermostat is stuck closed.
2011. 34,000 miles. just went through dealer inspection no issues. all the way to H.

Modifications Performance: Airaid CAI, 93P Tune by Torq, Dynomax Exhaust Interior: Auto Headlamp Switch, Leather Seat Upgrade, Infinity Speakers, Billet Chrome: Door Locks, Radio Display Trim, Door Lock/Unlock Covers, Map Light Button Covers, Air Vent Covers Exterior: Chrome Door Handles, Faux Gas Lid Delete; 3.7 Emblems, Stock Wheels Painted Gloss Black, Tinted Lights, Dark Gray Rocker and Hood Crease Stripes, Upper and Lower Billet Grille Overlays Engine Compartment: Custom Strut Brace
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
Apprentice

Unless they crushed your exhaust system while working on your car I am not sure how they could make your car start overheating. Every time I have ever seen a car overheat it was a bad thermostat or a coolant leak.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'11 Black V6
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Very strange, not at all expected with a gear swap . . . . seems like some coincidence, maybe they did something stupid at the shop like lowered the bottom of the radiator onto something on the lift . . . I would think that, even if they forgot to fill the rear end with lube, it would burn up the rear end before the engine would overheat.

Check for the obvious stuff -- like does it have coolant in the radiator? Is the fan wire still connected?

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Just drove it again, same thing. Also, notice now it it doesn't let me shift from drive to nuetral without holding in the shift button. Before I could just push the shifter from drive to nuetral.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013
Banned

I suspect your engine overheating is not part of the rear gears issue. I am pretty sure you have to hit the button to go any higher up the gear selector past drive. I do not remember every being able to dump it up into N without the button and really why would you.

I would get the car to operating temp at idle, watch the cooling fan and make sure it goes on with the car in D brakes on just sitting.

I would check reservoir and radiator for leaks and check the lvl. I would also while cold check to see if fluid is circulating in the radiator to ensure the water pump is pumping.

Other than that other than a thermostat or (very rare for 30K+ miles) head gasket. I cannot imagine it is anything else.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013
Banned

I like the idea of letting it idle and see if it happens. The rear brake calipers were removed during the gear change, if they were not properly reinstalled maybe theyre dragging. Can you tell if your parking brake still works? This is part of it too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page