Traction control off or not? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Traction control off or not?

You can see my car in my signature.

I was coming out of a very sharp left hander in second gear, at aprox 5000 rpm, the car momentarily shut down. We're talking probably a quarter or half second. It caught me off guard, so I went back to the same curve, and the same scenario. I then took off in a straight line and no momentary traction control type shut down.

I remember something weird about turning off the traction control. Something about holding the brake? What's going on?

`13 DIB, MCA, Perf Pac, Comf Pac, Back Up Camera, MT82, AE Driveshaft, Bama Tune: 93R, BBK Shortys. Borla Touring Mufflers, Air Raid CAI, AM Shift Knob, WeatherTec mats, Stripes and Tint. "Winter 18" GT Wheels and Tires, powder coated black" Redline Hood Struts, Steeda LCAs. Paid Cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013
Rookie

on 2011 and 2012 ( think they changed it on the 13 and up ) if you hit the traction control button , it takes it off unless you spin over 2000 RPM ( so something like this ) and if you hold down the brake and traction control button after about 20 sec or so you get a message that advance traction control is off. this its all bets are off wheel spinning if you break loss the tires

2012 3.7
75MM TB
CA intake
3.31 rear gears
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013
PONY Member

Holding the brake down and holding the tracs button for 5-10 seconds will turn off stability control. Be advised, the Mustang can go past the point of no return pretty quickly with stability control off. I recommend signing up for some auto-cross events to get better at driving the car with the the electronic controls turned off before assuming you can handle the car safely on the street without electronic intervention. Particularly while attempting "sharp corners at 5000RPM in 2nd gear"

I guess maybe the rule of thumb is that unless you are intentionally taking a turn so hard that all the tires are making lots of noise (insane on the street), the stability control should not be interfering. It only ever annoys me on the street when I am trying to get some throttle-induced rotation at low speeds. (say a right hand 90 degree turn).

If you are referring to just traction control: Yea, just turn that stuff off by momentarily pressing the tracs button.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013
PONY Member

Or you can go into sports mode by foot on the brake (at a stop) and double tapping the traction control.

2011 premium GT. Sterling Grey metalic with Charcoal interior. Roush Axlebacks. Redline hood struts. Shelby GT500 style rims. Smoked side markers. Comfort package with GT coupe Accessories #5. Don't Judge me for the accessories pack, I'm a recovering Ricer...

Other rides:
2011 Mazda CX-7 Touring Turbo
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PileofAces View Post
Or you can go into sports mode by foot on the brake (at a stop) and double tapping the traction control.
?? never heard of sport mode. what does that do ?

2012 3.7
75MM TB
CA intake
3.31 rear gears
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I turned it off this evening.

Yeah, I think I'll just do what 740 says, and leave it on. Things get, shall we say, pretty lively.

`13 DIB, MCA, Perf Pac, Comf Pac, Back Up Camera, MT82, AE Driveshaft, Bama Tune: 93R, BBK Shortys. Borla Touring Mufflers, Air Raid CAI, AM Shift Knob, WeatherTec mats, Stripes and Tint. "Winter 18" GT Wheels and Tires, powder coated black" Redline Hood Struts, Steeda LCAs. Paid Cash.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013
GT Member

My usual driving mode is advance trac and hill-assist turned off. If you don't want to get into trouble as quickly, get some 140-240 tread wear tires.

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

The grip from the 19 Perf Pac tires is impressive. The grip from the GT 18s, not so much. Right now, I'm on the 18s.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page