2011 Rear shocks need replacing? Failed inspection - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2011 Rear shocks need replacing? Failed inspection

Moved to Maryland this past week and brought my car in to get her state inspection. I was failed because my rear shocks are busted. Rear right has completely leaked all fluids and left is still leaking. Called the dealership and thankfully I am still covered under warranty and a bringing the car in tomorrow morning to get looked at.

Is this a problem anyone else has had? Common or uncommon?

Odd that this only now came up because I did bring my car into Ford 2 weeks ago for my 5000 mile checkup and they didn't catch this.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLew89 View Post
Odd that this only now came up because I did bring my car into Ford 2 weeks ago for my 5000 mile checkup and they didn't catch this.
Not odd at all.

Dealerships aren't allowed to "sell" warranty work. If the customer isn't complaining, it's not a warranty issue. Prevents warranty fraud.

2014 F150 STX Sport 3.7L (stock powertrain, non-stock stereo and lighting).
1975 Mustang II Coupe: 5.0/C4: More mods than will fit here.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013
PONY Member
S197 Member

The factory shocks suck. Have them replaced for free but look to upgrade as one of your first mods. Checking for a bad shock with a car with 5000 miles would not be something a tech would look for.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013
Apprentice
V6 Member

You went in for 5000 mile check and no one noticed a bad shock(s)? You didn't either???? What did the Ford safety check list show? Your Service Adviser should have given you a copy. The checklist is one way dealers "sell" warranty work, so disregard the previous commenter. If there is a verifiable problem, warranty or not, no fraud is involved. Remember, it's still your decision whether to make the repair or not. If you had decided to use your dealer to do the state safety inspection, just about any problem found would most likely be warranty, so how can that be fraud? Besides, suspension is a safety issue, so particular attention is paid to those areas.

This is the first thread I've seen about multiple bad shocks on a single car with only 5000 miles. So, I'm guessing Ford factory shocks hold up just fine - mine were still fine when I installed a set of Koni's at 36,000. I didn't change mine because they were inferior, like many others, I swapped out because I wanted a more aggressiveness to my ride and stance. So again, I would ignore the negative comments about Ford quality unless it's backed up with specifics. Part of the problem with this forum is too many people post BS comments with no validity.

For your part, if you had two bad shocks, surely your ride and handling would have changed so much that I wonder how you didn't notice any change between the time you left the dealer and two weeks later. Your shocks most likely failed very close to the same time, sometime AFTER you left the dealer ansd I suspect some sort of road damage. I also can't help but wonder how you didn't notice that siting in and driving the car. I would pay closer attention and maybe think about your driving habits....slow down over speed bumps, potholes, etc.... Ultimately, it's your responsibility.

'11, V6 Premium, Kona Blue, Saddle, Pony Package/Remote Start/Comfort, Auto, Nav, AirRaid CAI: Lone Wolf Ported Intakes & BBK TB W/Bama Tunes, JLT Catch Can, FRPP 4:10 Gears, BBK LT & Catted X Pipe W/ Magnaflow Cats Back, Koni STR.T W/ Steeda Ultra-Lites, FRPP LCA, BMR Panard, Steeda X-Brace, FRPP Diff Cover, Performance Automatic Trans Pan, Power Stop Rotors W/ Evolution Pads, Llumar CTX tint, Stillen Chin Spoiler, Roush Side & Rear Splitters, OEM Hood Scoop, GT Rear Fascia.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013
Apprentice
V6 Member

Another thought: Are you sure the mechanic doing your "safety" inspection is above reproach and not just trying to sell you a set of shocks??? You wouldn't be the first to be subjected to this type of fraud.

I just can't wrap my brain around the fact you left a Dealer with two bad shocks, drove around for two weeks and neither you nor anyone else noticed something wrong with your suspension. Everything was fine until an independent mech put it up on a lift ??? Inquiring minds want to know................

'11, V6 Premium, Kona Blue, Saddle, Pony Package/Remote Start/Comfort, Auto, Nav, AirRaid CAI: Lone Wolf Ported Intakes & BBK TB W/Bama Tunes, JLT Catch Can, FRPP 4:10 Gears, BBK LT & Catted X Pipe W/ Magnaflow Cats Back, Koni STR.T W/ Steeda Ultra-Lites, FRPP LCA, BMR Panard, Steeda X-Brace, FRPP Diff Cover, Performance Automatic Trans Pan, Power Stop Rotors W/ Evolution Pads, Llumar CTX tint, Stillen Chin Spoiler, Roush Side & Rear Splitters, OEM Hood Scoop, GT Rear Fascia.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Just Moved. Did you have a bunch of stuff in the car when you moved? A car being overweight will cause a shock to blow the same way a lowered car with the stock shocks will.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hey All,

Let Me Clarify A Little. (Sorry For The.Weird.Caps...My Phone Isn't Happy With This SIte)

My Car Has 33,000 Miles. I Was At Ford For An Oil change And.checkup Like I am Every 5000 Miles.

Also Have Not Noticed Any Weird Riding Or Handling issues. As Weird As That Could.Be With Two Bad Rear shocks

Also, Car inspector Couldn't of Been out To Get Money From Me As He Wasn't Selling The Shocks.

I Am At Ford Now. Will Update When I Know more
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamMitchell View Post
Dealerships aren't allowed to "sell" warranty work. If the customer isn't complaining, it's not a warranty issue. Prevents warranty fraud.

This is incorrect. Whenever the vehicle is in the shop for any work it is the duty of the technician to inspect the vehicle for any defects or damage. If somthing is found that is covered under warranty they get an ARA(Additional Repair Authorization) slip signed by their shop foreman and the repair gets added to the ticket.

I am an ASE master certified dealer technician BTW.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013
PONY Member

My right rear shock also had to be replaced because it was leaking. Nothing to do with an inspection (we don't have them here in CA).. but the dealership noticed it and told me about it.

2012 Premium V6 (manual) Mustang Club of America with Performance Package, comfort package, electronics package, backup sensors/camera, lava red leather interior
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLew89 View Post
Moved to Maryland this past week and brought my car in to get her state inspection. I was failed because my rear shocks are busted. Rear right has completely leaked all fluids and left is still leaking. Called the dealership and thankfully I am still covered under warranty and a bringing the car in tomorrow morning to get looked at.

Is this a problem anyone else has had? Common or uncommon?

Thanks!
Glad to learn your dealer is getting this handled for you, TylerLew89. Please let me know the outcome.

Deysha
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Dealership backed up what the shop told me. Right rear shock is gone and left rear is leaking. Covered under warranty and parts are on order.

Guess I hit a speed bump or two a bit too hard?
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnplanedoc View Post
You went in for 5000 mile check and no one noticed a bad shock(s)? You didn't either???? What did the Ford safety check list show? Your Service Adviser should have given you a copy. The checklist is one way dealers "sell" warranty work, so disregard the previous commenter. If there is a verifiable problem, warranty or not, no fraud is involved. Remember, it's still your decision whether to make the repair or not. If you had decided to use your dealer to do the state safety inspection, just about any problem found would most likely be warranty, so how can that be fraud? Besides, suspension is a safety issue, so particular attention is paid to those areas.

This is the first thread I've seen about multiple bad shocks on a single car with only 5000 miles. So, I'm guessing Ford factory shocks hold up just fine - mine were still fine when I installed a set of Koni's at 36,000. I didn't change mine because they were inferior, like many others, I swapped out because I wanted a more aggressiveness to my ride and stance. So again, I would ignore the negative comments about Ford quality unless it's backed up with specifics. Part of the problem with this forum is too many people post BS comments with no validity.

For your part, if you had two bad shocks, surely your ride and handling would have changed so much that I wonder how you didn't notice any change between the time you left the dealer and two weeks later. Your shocks most likely failed very close to the same time, sometime AFTER you left the dealer ansd I suspect some sort of road damage. I also can't help but wonder how you didn't notice that siting in and driving the car. I would pay closer attention and maybe think about your driving habits....slow down over speed bumps, potholes, etc.... Ultimately, it's your responsibility.
This is my fourth s197 that I have owned. Without a doubt the factory shocks and struts are sub par and anything other than grocery getting style driving and they quickly show their weaknesses. leaking and flat out failed shocks area frequent issue. This is hardly some ******** claim and I could write three or four paragraphs on instances. Now the one set of shocks/struts that are worthy are the GT500 and more specifically the PP as they are made by tokicko. No BS claims here
Apprentice

Did you notice fluid on any of the suspension arms or just the shocks?

I swear it seems I always wind up swapping shocks at 50k no matter what or how I drive
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnplanedoc View Post
What did the Ford safety check list show? Your Service Adviser should have given you a copy. The checklist is one way dealers "sell" warranty work, so disregard the previous commenter.
Yeah, disregard the guy who's been in dealership parts and service departments for over a decade. (including Ford)

2014 F150 STX Sport 3.7L (stock powertrain, non-stock stereo and lighting).
1975 Mustang II Coupe: 5.0/C4: More mods than will fit here.
Apprentice

Like anything else, the checklist is only as good as the tech using it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page