Looking to get headers on 3.7 - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Anyone with BBK LT's have any issues with the 02 extensions and tuning?

2012 3.7 V6 Performance Pack - MRT Interceptors - Steeda CAI -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot em UP View Post
From my research I do think shorties are worth it, seeing as they are not that much money, and will retain my cali legal smog BS, they seem like a good idea, but I am still undecided. I have not touched any handling aspects of my car at all, I was considering going with Eiback sways a while ago, but then realized if i do that, I should just get their full on suspension system (shocks struts sways and springs) for really not THAT much more money. But I don't think I can install all of that myself, even with my dads lift. I think a shop would be needed, and that will cost more .
I don't believe the shorty headers are CARB Exempt.

2011 3.7 Coupe | Ingot Silver | Black Cue Ball Knob | GT500 Spoiler | RTR Rear Valence | Tri-Ax Shifter | 3.73 | BBR Tune | BBK LT Headers | BBK X-Pipe | BBK Throttle | Roush Exhaust | Ford Racing Handling Pack | SVE Lower Arms | Ford Racing Panhard | GT500 Brembo Brakes | JLT Carbon CAI |

2014 5.0 Coupe | Ruby Red | Track Pack | Recaro |
Banned

Maybe intense,landtosea, or z28ths can chime in.. I know they all have long tubes..

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have bbk shorty headers and catless midpipe. That way I can just swap out the midpipe if I need to living in Cali and make it ok for smog. I think it pulls much harder than before. I spin up to 45 mph off idle at 750 rpm. It sounds good too, but very aggressive. There are some drive by videos on my channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XodT...=youtube_gdata

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
Apprentice

Quote:
But, I am not sure I will yet. I called BAMA today to ask if they will adjust my tune if I get shorties, they said there really isn't much they can change for shorties and the guy said honestly your money is better spent on other things.
Sorry but that's just B.S.! Shorties are definitely worth it, they offer decent gains and torque. What was the BAMA reps name, so I can make sure not to deal with that person!

2011 V6 Convertible Kona Blue I Billet Grille
Ford Racing exhaust I Ford Racing M5300N Springs
Airaid CAI I Bama 91 Hybrid Tune
Koni STR.T Shocks
American Racing Bullit Chrome 18" Wheels
255/45/18 Pilot Sport A/S Plus
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangFan25 View Post
Sorry but that's just B.S.! Shorties are definitely worth it, they offer decent gains and torque. What was the BAMA reps name, so I can make sure not to deal with that person!
Lol, wish I knew his name. Honestly, if they do make a difference, should there be a difference in the tune? I did read somewhere that someone was dataloging his car for a Steeda tune I believe and they did notice a difference and accounted for it in the new tune. Should I expect BAMA to write a modified tune even though they seem to think it is unnecessary? From what I remember, the post talked about the shorties creating the car to run leaner up at higher revs, but honestly I don't remember. And I don't think I will be able to convince BAMA to put shorties on a car and go test it out for me.. lol

Also, I run a 91 race tune, should I ask for a hybrid tune? I feel the race tune had better throttle response and power than street, so why would I want a mix of the two? I know I can always try it out and swap back, but does anyone have any input as how they actually differ real world, as in how they feel comparatively?

JLT CAI -- 73mm BBK TB -- Lone Wolf Ported Manifolds -- BBK Ceramic Shorties -- Borla ATAK Axle Back -- AM Short Throw -- 3.73 Rear -- DSS Aluminum DS -- Barton Shifter Bracket -- MPT 91 Tune -- Koni Yellow's -- J&M CC Plates -- SR Springs -- Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace -- BMR LCA's and Relo's -- HTRZ III 235/55-17 -- JLT Oil Seperator -- Billlet Grille -- GT500 Rear Diffuser -- Blue on Black Cue Ball Shifter Knob
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangFan25 View Post
The ECU in the car even tuned makes adjustments on its own, so a lot of things that require no tune piggyback on it. I put the headers on and could feel the difference before I put the header tune in. Also if it is not running good or having problems you can Data log it and send it to them and they will change the tune to what the Data Log says.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
Now really, headers will not change the tone in any way......
Not sure where you got this from, but headers make a huge difference in the sound, both in tone and volume. Different tubing lengths, thicknesses, and shape will yield different sound, that's basic acoustics.

This may be helpful...

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...e-posting.html

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
Apprentice

My wife's Mustang had Borla ATAK's on it for 4 months before we installed BBK LT's with cats. The headers made a huge sound increase, but the sound type stayed nearly the same (still sounds like the ATAK, just louder).

Wife = 2012 Mustang V6 Premium Grabber Blue BBK CAI, BBK LT w/ HFC, Borla ATAK, MPT Tune, DSS Driveshaft, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BMR LCA's | Best = 13.5 @ 105
Husband = 2010 Camaro V6 Synergy Green Edition IPF Supercharger Best = 12.5 @ 111
Closest finish @ the line = Wife by 0.0028 seconds (4.79 inches)

Also own a 2014 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo Package, 401A, Comfort Package, Shaker Pro System, Pedestal Spoiler
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

The sound will change and there are other Long Tube headers to choose from.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Lol, wish I knew his name. Honestly, if they do make a difference, should there be a difference in the tune? I did read somewhere that someone was dataloging his car for a Steeda tune I believe and they did notice a difference and accounted for it in the new tune. Should I expect BAMA to write a modified tune even though they seem to think it is unnecessary? From what I remember, the post talked about the shorties creating the car to run leaner up at higher revs, but honestly I don't remember. And I don't think I will be able to convince BAMA to put shorties on a car and go test it out for me.. lol

Also, I run a 91 race tune, should I ask for a hybrid tune? I feel the race tune had better throttle response and power than street, so why would I want a mix of the two? I know I can always try it out and swap back, but does anyone have any input as how they actually differ real world, as in how they feel comparatively?
Yup that's exactly what was happening and that was me. I had the shorties on the car and noticed that it would run weird sometimes and run hard others. The datalogs revealed that the car was leaning out in the 2500-4000 rpm range and from 5500-7000 rpm. To stop the engine from running to lean, it would limit the throttle and not open up the throttle body all the way when I went WOT. The values for commanded throttle and actual throttle position were off at times by a decent amount.

After the tune it felt much better... in my case at least. Some say that a retune is not required... but after the retune the car performed much better and I raced a friend before the retune and was close to him and after I began to pull right as I hit the gas. I also lost throttle response that I got back and then some after the retune. I'm very pleased with the gains from the shorty headers + lethal midpipe.

The shorties are a nice upgrade, and a good way to have a full exhaust in California that can easily be swapped out to pass emissions by putting the stock midpipe on.

Either way you have 5 years I think until you need to smog the car.

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
PONY Member

Bama doesn't know what they're talking about in this case. I love them but they're incorrect. And they haven't done any testing on shorties for the 3.7L so their comments are just supposition. I can tell you that MPT definitely saw some things that needed to be changed after shorties went in and personally they are well worth it.
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDMB View Post
Anyone with BBK LT's have any issues with the 02 extensions and tuning?
All I cant tell you is that Bama turned off the rear sensors on my hybrid and race tune. They told me I would have to return the tune to stock to pass emissions.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Apprentice

Just to show how my car sounds.

2011 Mustang V6 Roush Fly-By - YouTube

2011 Mustang V6 Roush Exhaust - YouTube

2011 3.7 Coupe | Ingot Silver | Black Cue Ball Knob | GT500 Spoiler | RTR Rear Valence | Tri-Ax Shifter | 3.73 | BBR Tune | BBK LT Headers | BBK X-Pipe | BBK Throttle | Roush Exhaust | Ford Racing Handling Pack | SVE Lower Arms | Ford Racing Panhard | GT500 Brembo Brakes | JLT Carbon CAI |

2014 5.0 Coupe | Ruby Red | Track Pack | Recaro |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page