Looking to get headers on 3.7 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Looking to get headers on 3.7

So, the only two companies I know about are BBK and Borla for long tubes. Problem is, its really hard to tell what these will sound like in person as youtube videos just don't capture the high rev sound at all with these exhaust. I currently have Borla ATAKs on my v6, and friking LOVE the sound at all RPM, and I really don't want to sacrifice that note. Obviously headers will change that up, but from what I can tell Borlas do give it some raspyness I would not like. I have always wanted to run full borla exhaust, if nothing else just to be able to say that, but from youtube videos the BBK's seem to sound better, although I don't trust BBK as far as I can throw them (although I am not really basing that on any concrete reason, I just know I trust borla).

As far as power goes, I also assume Borla will make the most power, although at this point a few HP here and there isn't a huge issue. I have a JLT CAI, BAMA 91 race tune, and the ATAK's and would like to give the car a bit more power and sound.

Any suggestions on what will sound good, or suggestions on how I can make Borla headers sound good with ataks? I also don't really want to wake the dead... well maybe a little

JLT CAI -- 73mm BBK TB -- Lone Wolf Ported Manifolds -- BBK Ceramic Shorties -- Borla ATAK Axle Back -- AM Short Throw -- 3.73 Rear -- DSS Aluminum DS -- Barton Shifter Bracket -- MPT 91 Tune -- Koni Yellow's -- J&M CC Plates -- SR Springs -- Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace -- BMR LCA's and Relo's -- HTRZ III 235/55-17 -- JLT Oil Seperator -- Billlet Grille -- GT500 Rear Diffuser -- Blue on Black Cue Ball Shifter Knob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013
BOSS Member

I think you need to get more stickers on your car (:

Now really, headers will not change the tone in any way......and as far as headers go (quality)....
In general, the head plate should be at least 3/8" (1/2" is best), tubing should be at least 16 gauge (14 is best).....otherwise leaks and burn-though are going to be a problem as well as the longetivity of the headers...that's how you tell a good header from the c4rap (at least one of the ways)

Also...take all the PR materials from Borla or any other "player" and throw them in the "circular file"......learn about component design, as compared to what you specifically need, then search for the mfg that builds that product to that spec.....

if you purchase products in any other way, you're just handing a "sale-person" a crapload of $ with very little in return..............

IMHO of course.........

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot em UP View Post
So, the only two companies I know about are BBK and Borla for long tubes. Problem is, its really hard to tell what these will sound like in person as youtube videos just don't capture the high rev sound at all with these exhaust. I currently have Borla ATAKs on my v6, and friking LOVE the sound at all RPM, and I really don't want to sacrifice that note. Obviously headers will change that up, but from what I can tell Borlas do give it some raspyness I would not like. I have always wanted to run full borla exhaust, if nothing else just to be able to say that, but from youtube videos the BBK's seem to sound better, although I don't trust BBK as far as I can throw them (although I am not really basing that on any concrete reason, I just know I trust borla).

As far as power goes, I also assume Borla will make the most power, although at this point a few HP here and there isn't a huge issue. I have a JLT CAI, BAMA 91 race tune, and the ATAK's and would like to give the car a bit more power and sound.

Any suggestions on what will sound good, or suggestions on how I can make Borla headers sound good with ataks? I also don't really want to wake the dead... well maybe a little
With long tubes you're going to also need to change your midpipe with the cats, it doesn't bolt up. As you're in California, you won't be able to pass smog with long tubes so that is definitely something to consider. You already have one of the loudest axlebacks out there, with the LT headers and aftermarket midpipe it's going to be pretty much as loud as possible with a full exhaust.

You're looking at a peak HP gain over shorty headers, but a hell of a lot more money and complexity when you need to get smogged, and an extremely loud, raspy V6. I personally hate the sound of an aggressive LT exhaust on the 3.7, and really any V6 in general but I can assure you that youtube videos do no justice to how loud it will be.

Anyways, for LTs, midpipe and install, you're looking at well over $1,000.

2012 Base 3.7 Race Red: Airaid Intake. Ford Racing 3.73 Gears. Dynomax 39507 Catback Exhaust. Bama 93rV2 Tune. BBK Short Headers. 6 speed retro shift knob.

Wheels/tires: Enkei Raijin 18x8. Sumitomo 235/50/18 HTR A/S P01

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrickland1988 View Post
With long tubes you're going to also need to change your midpipe with the cats, it doesn't bolt up. As you're in California, you won't be able to pass smog with long tubes so that is definitely something to consider. You already have one of the loudest axlebacks out there, with the LT headers and aftermarket midpipe it's going to be pretty much as loud as possible with a full exhaust.

You're looking at a peak HP gain over shorty headers, but a hell of a lot more money and complexity when you need to get smogged, and an extremely loud, raspy V6. I personally hate the sound of an aggressive LT exhaust on the 3.7, and really any V6 in general but I can assure you that youtube videos do no justice to how loud it will be.

Anyways, for LTs, midpipe and install, you're looking at well over $1,000.
Beech kid, pretty sure the sound will change. The volume and velocity of the air columb will be all different. And the engine will be under different load, which will also change it a bit.

Mstrickland, yea I know I won't pass smog, buy my dad has a lift in his garage so install and putting the stocks back on will be a days job every few years. No big deal. And the borlas come with an xpipe, the bbk's I would have to buy one, but no big deal. I don't see shorty headers being worth it is all. If I'm going to do it, I would do it. But I just don't know if I will like the sound... The ataks are amazing, and screwing that sound up would suck.

I know you can add resonators to help, bug I don't really know much about them or what is involved with installing them (I try to do all my own work, which thus far has been successful). Would they help, and what exactly are they?

What sort of power torque difference would LT make over shorty? Maybe if it isn't a huge deal, I could go for some shorty's.

JLT CAI -- 73mm BBK TB -- Lone Wolf Ported Manifolds -- BBK Ceramic Shorties -- Borla ATAK Axle Back -- AM Short Throw -- 3.73 Rear -- DSS Aluminum DS -- Barton Shifter Bracket -- MPT 91 Tune -- Koni Yellow's -- J&M CC Plates -- SR Springs -- Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace -- BMR LCA's and Relo's -- HTRZ III 235/55-17 -- JLT Oil Seperator -- Billlet Grille -- GT500 Rear Diffuser -- Blue on Black Cue Ball Shifter Knob
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013
Banned
V6 Member
S197 Member

I had the ATAKs to start with and then added the long tubes and catless X. I loved the sound of the ATAKs until I added the other pieces. Then it would wake the dead three counties away and the rasp was bad. I added 10" Vibrant resonators and it helped. It toned it down and took most of the rasp away. I've had people ask for a video of the sound but I won't even bother, it doesn't sound the same.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013
Rookie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDAHDHUjHUw

This video at 4:40 sums it up best for me. It think it sounds awful (imho) and is entirely too loud, especially for a V6.

2012 Base 3.7 Race Red: Airaid Intake. Ford Racing 3.73 Gears. Dynomax 39507 Catback Exhaust. Bama 93rV2 Tune. BBK Short Headers. 6 speed retro shift knob.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013
PONY Member

The people that made this video is why i went with long tubes. The video showed how easy the install is and was . Last i heard, he put his factory axle backs on because the ones he had were way too loud.

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrickland1988 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDAHDHUjHUw

This video at 4:40 sums it up best for me. It think it sounds awful (imho) and is entirely too loud, especially for a V6.
Yea, I think LT's even with resonators might be a bit much as a daily driver... People already know I'm coming from a mile away, don't need to make it even more insane. So at this point the shorties are looking enticing. But it leads me back to the very simple question. Is there a point to them? I know LT's will make power, lots of power... How well would the shorties do with stock xpipe and cats? Granted I could swap those out for performance cats or go catless, but at that point why would I not just go LT's... I'm not so concerned with power and torque, but I'm also not just buying these for sound.... Anyone have an idea of what kind of gains I can expect with stock cats and x with my atak mufflers? Would it be as noticeable as for instance my ataks were (I felt the difference when I put those on, as opposed to my CAI which was mostly just added engine noise IMO).

I know if I actually wanted more pull I should get some 3.73 gears, as I still have stock 2.93 or 2.73 or whatever they are... But that will come later when I don't have as much highway driving in my life...

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot em UP View Post
Yea, I think LT's even with resonators might be a bit much as a daily driver... People already know I'm coming from a mile away, don't need to make it even more insane. So at this point the shorties are looking enticing. But it leads me back to the very simple question. Is there a point to them? I know LT's will make power, lots of power... How well would the shorties do with stock xpipe and cats? Granted I could swap those out for performance cats or go catless, but at that point why would I not just go LT's... I'm not so concerned with power and torque, but I'm also not just buying these for sound.... Anyone have an idea of what kind of gains I can expect with stock cats and x with my atak mufflers? Would it be as noticeable as for instance my ataks were (I felt the difference when I put those on, as opposed to my CAI which was mostly just added engine noise IMO).

I know if I actually wanted more pull I should get some 3.73 gears, as I still have stock 2.93 or 2.73 or whatever they are... But that will come later when I don't have as much highway driving in my life...
Shorties will provide some low-mid range torque while LT and midpipe will provide a little bit more top-end power. My shorties actually came in the mail today so I'll let you know how I like them once they're installed. If I owned Ataks I don't think I could live with any other exhaust mods. Consider selling them and getting something cheaper while putting the money towards the rest of your exhaust? My Dynomax catback is deep and not raspy and dirt cheap

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I pull nice and smooth from 2000 RPM on instead of hitting 4000 RPM and taking off, tone is lower and I don't have to worry about a big fine for non OEM Cats or no cats. Shorties all the way.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Op. I have BBK long tubes on my car. All I can tell you is when you go to longtubes, the sound will drastically change. in my case, 'I was running Ford Racing sort axlebacks. once the headers went on, the sound got much louder and deeper. I feel my car sounds about as god as a V6 can sound. And the headers are easy to install, and look great. Well worth the effort. IMO
I did add GT resonators to mine, as the sounds was just too loud, for my tastes. The headers also make a noticeable power increase. I often have to remind myself that the car has only 6 cylinders.
I have BBK ceramic coat units by the way, and as said, they look great. Only thing I would have liked is if the the BBK mid pipe with cats, was stainless steel instead of aluminized steel. It does rust, from the inside , out.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

My dad has borla s-types on his leased v6. So in a year and a half, they are mine. So if my car is too loud with headers (whichever I end up going with) I can probably swap him exhaust for now anyways. Buy I feel like shorties with stick cats will be OK with ATAKs. I just don't want the sound to get "worse" cuz it sounds BOSS now.

Apprentice

I have the BBK LT's with the BBK catted mid-pipe and Roush exhaust on my car and I think it sounds pretty good. It's pretty loud when you want it to be but you can also keep it quiet by not slamming on the gas. I've had numerous compliments on my car.

2011 3.7 Coupe | Ingot Silver | Black Cue Ball Knob | GT500 Spoiler | RTR Rear Valence | Tri-Ax Shifter | 3.73 | BBR Tune | BBK LT Headers | BBK X-Pipe | BBK Throttle | Roush Exhaust | Ford Racing Handling Pack | SVE Lower Arms | Ford Racing Panhard | GT500 Brembo Brakes | JLT Carbon CAI |

2014 5.0 Coupe | Ruby Red | Track Pack | Recaro |
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I just finished changing my oil on my 3,7. All I can say is after looing at my BBK ceramic coat headers from under the car, and on top. they sure look good.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
I just finished changing my oil on my 3,7. All I can say is after looing at my BBK ceramic coat headers from under the car, and on top. they sure look good.
LOL. Just trying to get me to get them LT's huh. No, I think I have pretty much decided that if I do get headers, they will be shorties. But, I am not sure I will yet. I called BAMA today to ask if they will adjust my tune if I get shorties, they said there really isn't much they can change for shorties and the guy said honestly your money is better spent on other things. SOOOO, now I am a bit unsure what to do. I have read just about every thread on shorties vs LT's and the guy whos friend had shorties vs his LT's and the dude with shorties pulled harder to 100, all same setup except LT guy hat 4.1 rear and shorty guy had 3.73 so you would think LT would pull more. Read reviews where people say shorties are stupid, and some where people literally swear by them.

From my research I do think shorties are worth it, seeing as they are not that much money, and will retain my cali legal smog BS, they seem like a good idea, but I am still undecided. I have not touched any handling aspects of my car at all, I was considering going with Eiback sways a while ago, but then realized if i do that, I should just get their full on suspension system (shocks struts sways and springs) for really not THAT much more money. But I don't think I can install all of that myself, even with my dads lift. I think a shop would be needed, and that will cost more .

Sways I could do myself, strut tower brace no problem, but beyond that I don't think I have the skills. So, the question is, shorties, or save for suspension, or just get sways now. I'm rocking the base model mustang suspension, nothing to write home about, but I also don't mind it as I don't track it, and really don't drive my car THAT hard in turns anyways. Maybe I should start a new thread: What do do next? lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page