Low tire pressure warning - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Low tire pressure warning

Was driving around today & suddenly an alarm sound (Same sound when you insert the key in the ignition). The indicator says " LOW TIRE PRESSURE".

So the warning stays on all the time. It was late mid night & we stop at the road side( Tire seems fine when check visually). We continue on our journey back home. So far so good & the tires seems ok? BTW we never ever check our tire pressure since we got our car over a year ago from the showroom.

I do hope its only a low tire pressure & not some sensors? We will try to bring to the tire shop tomorrow to check the tire pressure.

*Do we need to reset any thing once we top off the tire?

Our first new ride in Qatar:An American car!
2013 Ford Mustang V6 Black with 18 inch wheels, side "Mustang stripe", 3D carbon GT500 type spoiler
Ride back home:
1991 R129 500SL, 1992 Porsche 928 GTS, 1996 E36 328 & 1997 W140 S320
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013
Apprentice

I had a similar issue like this before. I thought the TPMS sensors were defective. It turned out to be a a nail stuck deep in the groove of the tire. Perhaps try looking for nails in the tires?
I'm surprised you never lost any tire pressure over a year... I lose 1-2 psi every month or two. I always check every month or so.

2012 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium MT

Airaid CAI/ Bassani Axleback/ BAMA 87 Performance Tune
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I see. Whenever you lose some psi- Does it triggers the "low tire pressure" warning on the dash? I guess its normal to lose air pressure over time?

I only can bring my car on a Saturday Morning to a tire shop as over here- Friday- most business are close. I wonder if its ok to drive around a bit tomorrow with the "low tire pressure" warning on the dash? My car is nitrogen filled from the factory. Tires looks OK.

2013 Ford Mustang V6 Black with 18 inch wheels, side "Mustang stripe", 3D carbon GT500 type spoiler
Ride back home:

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013
PONY Member

Yes, it is normal to loose air pressure over time. You should get a tire gauge and check it every 2 or 3 months.
Nitrogen does not leak out as fast as normal air.
Since youv'e had the car over a year, even the nitrogen has probably gotten low. Your sensors are "probably" OK.
You don't need to reset anything once the air pressure is up to norma.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z928 View Post
I see. Whenever you lose some psi- Does it triggers the "low tire pressure" warning on the dash? I guess its normal to lose air pressure over time?

I only can bring my car on a Saturday Morning to a tire shop as over here- Friday- most business are close. I wonder if its ok to drive around a bit tomorrow with the "low tire pressure" warning on the dash? My car is nitrogen filled from the factory. Tires looks OK.
i got the LOW TIRE PRESSURE message last week, turns out i had a screw in my right rear tire and it was leaking air slowly. BTW, don't wait for the warning message, my deflating tire was down to 20 psi when i got the warning from the TPMS. Not knowing what was wrong, i inflated the tire and checked it again a few days later.... down to 24 psi and no warning.

So my guess is that the TPMS warns the driver at around 20psi, wich is way too low already. Tire pressure must be checked regularly for safety

Canadian 2012 V6, MT, Perf.White Pony Package (3.31 gears). Koni Sport Shocks & Struts. Steeda Sport Springs w/HD Mounts, Route 66 SpeedShop 55D rear spring kit. Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace. BMR Adj PHB. BFG G-Force Sport Comp2. Pioneer TS-D6802R Front SPeakers, Clarion 80W/Ch Amp. JL Audio 8 Inch Sub And 175W Amp. GT500 Steering Wheel. 2012+ Tilting Headrests
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulozzz View Post
i got the LOW TIRE PRESSURE message last week, turns out i had a screw in my right rear tire and it was leaking air slowly. BTW, don't wait for the warning message, my deflating tire was down to 20 psi when i got the warning from the TPMS. Not knowing what was wrong, i inflated the tire and checked it again a few days later.... down to 24 psi and no warning.

So my guess is that the TPMS warns the driver at around 20psi, wich is way too low already. Tire pressure must be checked regularly for safety
Wow this is an interesting coincidence. Last week I also got my low tire pressure message and I also had a screw in my right rear tire. When the sensor went off the tire was also at 20 psi. I guess that's the threshold level? After re-inflation I had mine go down to 23 psi a few days later and also no warning. The problematic aspect of this is that at 20 psi the tire does not appear to be deflated visually.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

top it off. At the petrol station shop. The mechanic said One tire has 25 psi, the other have 28psi. The other side both tires have 30psi. Once he top off., the message on the dash is gone

Ride back home:
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I hope you have learned something.......

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I hope you have learned something.......
Yep, and that lesson should include buying a small tire pressure gauge and keeping it in your car or house.
PONY Member

and that is why owning a tire pressure gauge is a good idea

Car: 2011 Black Mustang v6, 6-Speed Auto, Premium Package
MODS: KW Variant 3 Coilovers w/ Maximum Motorsport CC Plates | J&M Adj. Panhard Rod | AEM Intake | Bama 91R | Borla S-Type Axle-Back | Boss Front Conversion w/ Saleen Grille + Foglight w/ Auto Headlight | Boss Rear Diffuser | Forgestar F14 18x10 +42 w/ Nitto NT05 275/35-18 (all around)| BMR LCA | SVT GT500 BBK|
Chuckwalla(CW)-2:21.065
Streets of Willow(CCW)- 1:29.661
Buttonwillow(CCW)-Let's not talk about it
PONY Member

Yep from my experience you'll lose pressure with dramatic temp changes. Change in seasons going from Summer to the first cold spell. I'll also see it when it goes from Cold to Hot. Just fill the air up with tires make sure you don't have any punctures and your good to go.

Cobb Access Port
MAPerformance Tune, CAI, and Intercooler
NGK 6510 Sparkplugs
Everything else is for show.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I check my tire pressure about once a month, but in one of our Fords a sensor in one of the wheels went bad & set off the light on the dash. It was replaced under warranty.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Rookie

Tires usually lose about 1 psi a month. If it is a low profile tire, it can lose more than that. Also, tires lose about 1 psi for every 10 degree drop in temperature (Fahrenheit). So, in a year, each tire may lose about 12 psi. That's not even taking into account the amount it changes from temperature.

With modern tires it can be very difficult to tell from just looking if a tire is low. Unless it is truly a "flat tire," an underinflated tire will often still look ok.

It's probably a good idea to check tire pressures at least once a month. That way you can add some air if needed. Also, if there is a leak from a nail or something, you will catch it early. Because when a tire is too low in pressure, it heats up a lot when driven on (due to needing to flex a lot more). This makes it prone to blowouts or other failure that requires replacement. If you catch a leak or nail early, it can usually be repaired for a lot cheaper than tire replacement.

2012 Ingot Silver V6 MT Premium, MCA package
Rookie

lol in 7 months I only have one tire that leaks..... about 10 lbs. the others are all within 1lb of spec. Haven't found a screw yet. but yeah the low light goes off when the tires are in spec

Mustangs... I have had many... probably will have many more!
Rookie

Also, check tires that have not been driven (even a mile) for four hours. If you don't have a compressor/pump at your house, check your pressures (ALL FOUR), note the pressures (write them down), drive to the station, recheck the pressures, then you know how much to add at the station.
Check your tires every month. They are the only part of your car contacting the road and the most important safety item. Don't buy re-treads. Don't patch sidewall punctures. Drive safely.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page