What to expect when you're expecting (gears) - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by the5 View Post
I just got 3.73's this Sat, I have no grip at all any more.
Best Performance mod so far.
Great, now Monday is going to take forever to get here. Can't wait to get this installed.

Wife = 2012 Mustang V6 Premium Grabber Blue BBK CAI, BBK LT w/ HFC, Borla ATAK, MPT Tune, DSS Driveshaft, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BMR LCA's | Best = 13.5 @ 105
Husband = 2010 Camaro V6 Synergy Green Edition IPF Supercharger Best = 12.5 @ 111
Closest finish @ the line = Wife by 0.0028 seconds (4.79 inches)

Also own a 2014 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo Package, 401A, Comfort Package, Shaker Pro System, Pedestal Spoiler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Love my 3.73s. Great improvement over the factory 3.31s, can only imagine how much better they are compared to the 2.73s.

'14 V6 Prem. 6 speed Perf. Pkg. Oxford White/Saddle
Mods in profile
Apprentice

Isn't no grip a bad thing for performance?

I just destroyed my tires going into 2nd last night. Surprised me a bit. I think my car likes the cooler weather. Thats with a stock Performance Package. I can just imagine how crazy it would have been with more gearing.

I'm not sure if i hit some water on the road, or dirt, or what. The sucker started swimming back and forth in the rear. LOL, I've busted them loose before (going into 2nd) but this was surprising and FUN!!

2013 Performance Package | 3.7 V6 | MT82 | Black on Black |

GT Member
S197 Member

When I had 4.10s in my 04 gt I just noticed no traction. 1st gear lag was gone though

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
PONY Member

I hate to tell you but your wife's Mustang, after the gear change is going to be pretty even with your Camaro in a 1/4th mile .

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

The way you guys are talking I'm thinking its going to be easier to resist a foursome with 3 college girls than to resist stomping on the throttle before the break-in period is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I hate to tell you but your wife's Mustang, after the gear change is going to be pretty even with your Camaro in a 1/4th mile .
She might after the way my car was running last night. I had the tune at 11.5 in boost but for some reason it was at 13:1 in boost with a spike to 14:1 while pulling 8 degrees of timing. Having to get a tune that's richer to maybe fix the issue. I hate having an engine that can't be dyno tuned, you Mustang owners are lucky. When we get a ProCharger installed on the wife's Mustang, going to get it dyno tuned and leave it at that.

Saw an awesome Nissan GT-R last night running 9.5 @ 151 mph, they were shooting for the record of 8.75 seconds. Not bad for just a "V6".

Wife = 2012 Mustang V6 Premium Grabber Blue BBK CAI, BBK LT w/ HFC, Borla ATAK, MPT Tune, DSS Driveshaft, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BMR LCA's | Best = 13.5 @ 105
Husband = 2010 Camaro V6 Synergy Green Edition IPF Supercharger Best = 12.5 @ 111

Also own a 2014 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo Package, 401A, Comfort Package, Shaker Pro System, Pedestal Spoiler
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

So much for getting the gears installed. We had an appointment to drop the car off Monday morning to get it installed, we dropped it off. Monday night the installer said he wasn't able to get it to it, should be able to get to it today. Today I asked him what the status was and he went off talking about how I'm rushing him, so tonight at 8 p.m. we told him to give the car back to us. Got the car back, they didn't even start the install. Time to find a new installer or do the damn thing myself. Would just need a dial caliper, already have bearing pullers for removing bushing in the Camaro.

PONY Member

They are several youtube videos on how to do the gears. I've thought about changing to 4.10's and doing them myself. I don't have a gear puller or dial caliper. I think you can rent them from local parts stores but also a part of me keeps telling me 'its over my head and i'll mess them up' . I've installed everything i have except for the gears. I had my local Ford dealer install them for $550 labor . I didn't trust any local shops.

If you feel like you can do them yourself, do it. Just remember the fluid stinks very very bad

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Got the gears installed finally. Last night we dropped it off at a performance shop recommended to us by a friend and this afternoon we picked it up. Zero gear whine, car pulls pretty good now. Wife already loves it, the car is a little touchier though compared to the 2.73's. Tomorrow night we will be going to the track to see what kind of improvement we get over the 2.73's.

MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
The way you guys are talking I'm thinking its going to be easier to resist a foursome with 3 college girls than to resist stomping on the throttle before the break-in period is over.

She might after the way my car was running last night. I had the tune at 11.5 in boost but for some reason it was at 13:1 in boost with a spike to 14:1 while pulling 8 degrees of timing. Having to get a tune that's richer to maybe fix the issue. I hate having an engine that can't be dyno tuned, you Mustang owners are lucky. When we get a ProCharger installed on the wife's Mustang, going to get it dyno tuned and leave it at that.

Saw an awesome Nissan GT-R last night running 9.5 @ 151 mph, they were shooting for the record of 8.75 seconds. Not bad for just a "V6".
They're gonna have to be faster than that to break the record, or is that just for your track? Because the Alpha Omega GTR is in the 7's.

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Pony View Post
They're gonna have to be faster than that to break the record, or is that just for your track? Because the Alpha Omega GTR is in the 7's.

Don't know, its just what they announced on the PA system. Still awesome as hell that the car can do that.

We were going to race the Mustang tonight but I took the car for a quick test at 100 MPH and the driveshaft was buzzing like crazy, scared the hell out of me. We aren't going to risk the damage so we will be having to get a new driveshaft before we race it since her car was getting up to 102 mph on the 2.73 gears with a 2.4 second 60' time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page