Where to start with suspension? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharad View Post
LCAs should be one of the first mods, and they absolutely DO help in cornering, as well as the launch.

Swaybars are a great upgrade, but in my opinion, they're farther down the list... after LCAs, springs, shocks, struts, etc.

We carry all of this at Mustang Parts & Performance - UPR Products
I agree. Shocks , struts and a set of springs could eliminate most if not all of the body roll. Sway bars are def low on my list.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot em UP View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the input. And what do you mean by clunking? That doesn't sound good...
When you drive over a bump at slow speed, the rear makes a 'clunk' sound. I think it has to do with the fact that the Eibachs top mount in the back is narrower than the factory mount so it can move around. I have yet to get back under my car and try adding washers (spacers) to tighten this down. Actually, it much less now then when I first installed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Pony View Post
I agree. Shocks , struts and a set of springs could eliminate most if not all of the body roll. Sway bars are def low on my list. ]
Sway bars are made exactly for this reason. They are there to lessen the body roll (or sway). Doing expensive lowering and struts, and all, can do it but way not go right to the source? Trust me, upgraded sway bars really change the handling in corners and without adding harshness to the ride.

MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangInTexas View Post
When you drive over a bump at slow speed, the rear makes a 'clunk' sound. I think it has to do with the fact that the Eibachs top mount in the back is narrower than the factory mount so it can move around. I have yet to get back under my car and try adding washers (spacers) to tighten this down. Actually, it much less now then when I first installed them.

Sway bars are made exactly for this reason. They are there to lessen the body roll (or sway). Doing expensive lowering and struts, and all, can do it but way not go right to the source? Trust me, upgraded sway bars really change the handling in corners and without adding harshness to the ride.
Use the right springs and your ride won't be any harsher than stock.

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way

Apprentice

You don't have to get crazy with suspension mods to drastically change the handling and performance characteristics of these cars. You can't go wrong with the FRPP kit. I have just the springs and struts in mine and it handles awesome. Does feel like it needs the sway bars and poly sway bushings though. It is such a stiff chassis that just taking the comfort out of the factory set up with the FRPP kit is a quantum leap in the way the car feels.

2013 Grabber Blue Premium Couple, Auto, FRPP N Springs, FRPP Dampeners, Lund Tune
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I am looking to get sway bars any day now, but I have one major question, is is there any reason I should get adjustable over non adjustable? I am looking to buy Eibach front and rear sways, and it appears as though the adjustable ones are cheaper. Me being a noob just assumes adjustable is better, but the engineer in me is saying they might not be as strong because they must have multiple holes at the ends to adjust with, thus make them weaker. Is there any downside to adjustable, especially considering they are cheaper? Honestly I will probably run them at the middle adjustment seeing as I don't know much about suspension and won't play with them too much, but I see adjustable as a way of maybe in the future when I do get more suspension components I will be able to adjust it all to my liking.

Is there any reason to not get adjustable? Or are they pretty much a better option?

JLT CAI -- 73mm BBK TB -- Lone Wolf Ported Manifolds -- BBK Ceramic Shorties -- Borla ATAK Axle Back -- AM Short Throw -- 3.73 Rear -- DSS Aluminum DS -- Barton Shifter Bracket -- MPT 91 Tune -- Koni Yellow's -- J&M CC Plates -- SR Springs -- Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace -- BMR LCA's and Relo's -- HTRZ III 235/55-17 -- JLT Oil Seperator -- Billlet Grille -- GT500 Rear Diffuser -- Blue on Black Cue Ball Shifter Knob
Rookie

with the sale on at american muscle I couldn't say no to the SR Springs on sale! cheap cheap! Iv read good reviews on them and the are supposed to drop 1.5 front and rear.

Mustangs... I have had many... probably will have many more!
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtr View Post
with the sale on at american muscle I couldn't say no to the SR Springs on sale! cheap cheap! Iv read good reviews on them and the are supposed to drop 1.5 front and rear.
That was a pretty sick deal. I picked it up at 99 bucks! But still, what do I do about sway bars? Is there any reason to get non adjustable over adjustable?

Also, I am hoping the SR springs on stock dampers/struts and with the Eibach sway bar will work well together with no other modifications needed. Anyone have first hand experience with this setup?

JLT CAI -- 73mm BBK TB -- Lone Wolf Ported Manifolds -- BBK Ceramic Shorties -- Borla ATAK Axle Back -- AM Short Throw -- 3.73 Rear -- DSS Aluminum DS -- Barton Shifter Bracket -- MPT 91 Tune -- Koni Yellow's -- J&M CC Plates -- SR Springs -- Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace -- BMR LCA's and Relo's -- HTRZ III 235/55-17 -- JLT Oil Seperator -- Billlet Grille -- GT500 Rear Diffuser -- Blue on Black Cue Ball Shifter Knob
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Also, I am hoping the SR springs on stock dampers/struts and with the Eibach sway bar will work well together with no other modifications needed. Anyone have first hand experience with this setup?
The parts will fit together and drive down the road, but the stock struts and shocks are awful. Upgrading them makes the car much much nicer to drive. (better handling/performance)

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
That was a pretty sick deal. I picked it up at 99 bucks! But still, what do I do about sway bars? Is there any reason to get non adjustable over adjustable?

The adjustable eibach sways are fantastic and using the different settings really changes the way the car behaves most notably by changing under or oversteer. They will work with a stock suspension or a lowered one. Well worth the money.
As for the stock struts and shocks you really need to upgrade those as well. They will work for a while with those springs but will fail fairly quickly. Koni str orange would be a good choice and they have an unbeatable warranty.
If money is tight the Stranoparts adj sways are a good deal being less money than the eibach last time i looked.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Wait, you first talk about not being able to hook the power up but then you talk about sway bars, sway bars won't do much for traction.

If you want to put all the car's power down then rear control arms and tires are what that takes.

And if it is just handling you want, then tires are first on the list, then lowering and sway bars.
+1 to this. The stock suspension is really soft and with uograded tires it will help but the roll is rediculous and the ride is really sof IMO its a little better after installing lowrring springs but theres nothing like installing koni yellows or tokico or even coilovers which i think is the best route to go if youre interested in changing the shocks and struts.

2014 M/T v6, Koni STR.T with B&G springs, JLT CAI, O/R H pipe, Pypes bomb custom cat-back, Whiteline trans insert, steeda trans bracket, Hurst shifter, 18x9/10 AM Wheels.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I did order the SR springs, couldn't pass it up @ 99.99! But now I am a bit worried about stock struts and shocks. I am not trying to throw too much money down, but my pony has 20K miles on it, just hit 20 the other night actually. I am putting those springs on for sure, but if I am already under there, is it REALLY that big of a deal to go with new struts and springs? I am looking at Koni STR's all around, or would Eibach be better? Or are they pretty much all negligibly the same? The eibachs will fit right up to my 2012, with no need for the replacement strut mount if I am not mistaken that the Koni's would need. Also, the Eibachs are cheaper, which is always enticing!

Basically the decision is, run stock struts and shocks and get Eibach sway bars, or leave stock sways alone for now and get all upgraded suspension one shot.

Any advice on that decision?

Apprentice

Quote:
I did order the SR springs, couldn't pass it up @ 99.99!
Wow, that sounds like a great deal. Is the deal still on? Got a link?

--
Steve
2011 3.7 Convertible, K&N Typhoon CAI, Bama SCT Tune
Apprentice

I've been wanting to install some springs myself to (not sure which springs but no more than a 1.5inch drop.) I'm afraid that the minute I go over a speed bump ill blow my suspension. My stock stuff already creeks when going over bumps.

2012 MCA 6 speed auto.
Mods: JLT CAI,3.73s,BBK TB,lethal x pipe,93 tune
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdheath View Post
Wow, that sounds like a great deal. Is the deal still on? Got a link?
Naw man sorry, deal was like one day only...

PONY Member
S197 Member

If things are tight and the eibach struts are bolt ins then get them. Wont be a huge difference between the two.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page