Where to start with suspension? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Where to start with suspension?

Recently I was debating throwing some money at headers, but after ALL of the forum trolling, I have come to the conclusion when I do want them, I will get shorties, but for now I will hold off on more power. I really need to start work on my suspension... No point in power if I can't keep the tires hooked up.

I am thinking of going sway bars for now (I don't want to get anything I can't install myself). I am looking at the Eibach sways, not sure if I need adjustable or not though. Is this a "good" place to start? I have 100% stock base model suspension and tires, and I do plan on getting some rims and good rubber when my tires ware out, but no real point until then. Eventually I do want full suspension, but that is a long way a lot of money away.

I guess the question is, is there another suspension mod I should do first that would make a bigger everyday difference? Or a different brand that is known to be better? I am pretty new at suspension, and its a bit harder than power mods...

JLT CAI -- 73mm BBK TB -- Lone Wolf Ported Manifolds -- BBK Ceramic Shorties -- Borla ATAK Axle Back -- AM Short Throw -- 3.73 Rear -- DSS Aluminum DS -- Barton Shifter Bracket -- MPT 91 Tune -- Koni Yellow's -- J&M CC Plates -- SR Springs -- Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace -- BMR LCA's and Relo's -- HTRZ III 235/55-17 -- JLT Oil Seperator -- Billlet Grille -- GT500 Rear Diffuser -- Blue on Black Cue Ball Shifter Knob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Wait, you first talk about not being able to hook the power up but then you talk about sway bars, sway bars won't do much for traction.

If you want to put all the car's power down then rear control arms and tires are what that takes.

And if it is just handling you want, then tires are first on the list, then lowering and sway bars.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Wait, you first talk about not being able to hook the power up but then you talk about sway bars, sway bars won't do much for traction.

If you want to put all the car's power down then rear control arms and tires are what that takes.

And if it is just handling you want, then tires are first on the list, then lowering and sway bars.
I agree. The stock rear lca's are flimsy stamped pieces that are prone to flexing. Aftermarket lca's are much more substantial parts and are a relatively inexpensive mod. My BMR lcas more or less cured my wheel hop, letting me get better traction. It will still hop on a wet surface occasionally, but I think that might have more to do with my current tires than anything.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Sorry, didn't mean hook up on launches. I meant stay flatter through cornering. I agree, LCA will be a needed upgrade, that is pretty inexpensive, but I am talking more about overall handling and body role reduction.

JLT CAI -- 73mm BBK TB -- Lone Wolf Ported Manifolds -- BBK Ceramic Shorties -- Borla ATAK Axle Back -- AM Short Throw -- 3.73 Rear -- DSS Aluminum DS -- Barton Shifter Bracket -- MPT 91 Tune -- Koni Yellow's -- J&M CC Plates -- SR Springs -- Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace -- BMR LCA's and Relo's -- HTRZ III 235/55-17 -- JLT Oil Seperator -- Billlet Grille -- GT500 Rear Diffuser -- Blue on Black Cue Ball Shifter Knob
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Pony View Post
I agree. The stock rear lca's are flimsy stamped pieces that are prone to flexing. Aftermarket lca's are much more substantial parts and are a relatively inexpensive mod. My BMR lcas more or less cured my wheel hop, letting me get better traction. It will still hop on a wet surface occasionally, but I think that might have more to do with my current tires than anything.

Actually more about bushing stiffness than stiffness of the arms themselves.

And an upper arm would finish curing all your wheel hop issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot em UP View Post
Sorry, didn't mean hook up on launches. I meant stay flatter through cornering. I agree, LCA will be a needed upgrade, that is pretty inexpensive, but I am talking more about overall handling and body role reduction.
Answer is still tires first, sway bars second for handling.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Actually more about bushing stiffness than stiffness of the arms themselves.

And an upper arm would finish curing all your wheel hop issues.

Answer is still tires first, sway bars second for handling.
Sorry it was late and I was dozing off lol. This too. The bushings on the BMR units are polyurethane unlike the rubber bushing of the stock units. MUCH stiffer. Minimal increase in NVH but a much more planted feel.

I'll get around to a UCA eventually. Next mod will probably be shorties though, once we get to see what the Mac shorties for the 3.7 look like. Haven't been impressed with the quality of the BBK units.

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013
Apprentice

I did springs, struts, shocks, GT500 upper strut mounts, and a panhard bar all at once. It made a big difference. From what most people have said, aftermarket struts and shocks make a huge difference in the ride and stiffness. If you don't already have one, I felt a noticeable firmness when I added a Boss strut brace. However, mind didn't have one stock.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Pony View Post
Sorry it was late and I was dozing off lol. This too. The bushings on the BMR units are polyurethane unlike the rubber bushing of the stock units. MUCH stiffer. Minimal increase in NVH but a much more planted feel.

I'll get around to a UCA eventually. Next mod will probably be shorties though, once we get to see what the Mac shorties for the 3.7 look like. Haven't been impressed with the quality of the BBK units.

Do the upper control arm first, the shorties just aren't going to make a big difference.

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Ok, so if I am planning to hold out on tires until I need new ones, which is probably 15-20k miles away, I should get the sway bar now as my first upgrade?

Also, the LCA do seem pretty enticing. Look really easy to install and are pretty cheap. They just mainly help on launching and wheel hop? And when everyone tells me it will fix wheel hop, as in how our solid rear axle likes to jump around when you hit a bump in a turn? Is that "wheel hop" that everyone refers to? Because that has gotten me almost killed more than once... Would love to get rid of that.

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Front and rear sway bars were the first mode I made. I couldn't stand the way the Stang took corners, or big curves. They made a HUGE difference. My car now corners nice and flat with very little body roll. Trust me, you'll really like what they do. I too have a base v6 with base tires. The best I think are Whiteline but those are really expensive. I have Eibachs and they work really nice. I got the adjustable but have yet to try other settings on them. Warning: Eibachs are kinda notorious for making a clunking sound at times.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangInTexas View Post
Front and rear sway bars were the first mode I made. I couldn't stand the way the Stang took corners, or big curves. They made a HUGE difference. My car now corners nice and flat with very little body roll. Trust me, you'll really like what they do. I too have a base v6 with base tires. The best I think are Whiteline but those are really expensive. I have Eibachs and they work really nice. I got the adjustable but have yet to try other settings on them. Warning: Eibachs are kinda notorious for making a clunking sound at times.
Awesome! Thanks for the input. And what do you mean by clunking? That doesn't sound good...

MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot em UP View Post
Ok, so if I am planning to hold out on tires until I need new ones, which is probably 15-20k miles away, I should get the sway bar now as my first upgrade?

Also, the LCA do seem pretty enticing. Look really easy to install and are pretty cheap. They just mainly help on launching and wheel hop? And when everyone tells me it will fix wheel hop, as in how our solid rear axle likes to jump around when you hit a bump in a turn? Is that "wheel hop" that everyone refers to? Because that has gotten me almost killed more than once... Would love to get rid of that.
That's not the wheel hop I'm referring to, although it did help that a little. Shocks struts and springs will help more in that area.

Wheel hop like what I'm talking about happens when you launch and you're spinning but on the cusp of getting traction. Basically it's causing the rear suspension to load and unload in rapid succession which in turn makes the axle jump up and down. Its fairly hard on the drive line and I've seen axles and diffs destroyed from it.

That's about as good as I can explain it. It'd be easier if I could just show you lol. Not too great at explaining things like that.

Hope that helps!

PONY Member

according to a conversation i had with vorshlag (running top 3 in both scca and nasa in their REGION in both autocross and road courses)...

biggest difference you can make to the s197 is by moving to 18x10's square

behind that, lower control arm BRACKETS make the most significant difference above all other suspension mods on these cars.

nobody in the world knows more about putting the power down than vorslag

springs and shocks and plates. they of course, recommend their monotube setup which has all 3. bilstein dampers.

good luck

2013 Performance Pack, MCA, Leather Recaro's, NAV
Steeda Cold Air Intake | BBK Throttle Body | Steeda Shifter Bracket | Whiteline Transmission Mount | Magnaflow Street Catback Exhaust | Tuning Super Store Tuned on a Diablosport Intune i1000 | Eibach Sportline Springs | Koni Sport Dampers (Yellow) | Whiteline Lower Control Arms

Team Magnaflow | Team Road Race Motorsports
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yea, I didn't realized that is what you meant by wheel hop. I don't hard launch often but when I have I definitely have experienced that.

So I should look into LCA's as well as relocation brackets for them? Would it be more beneficial to get the relocation brackets and use the stock arms or get better arms first? Assuming I can only afford one at a time?

SHELBY GT 350 Member

LCAs should be one of the first mods, and they absolutely DO help in cornering, as well as the launch.

Swaybars are a great upgrade, but in my opinion, they're farther down the list... after LCAs, springs, shocks, struts, etc.

We carry all of this at Mustang Parts & Performance - UPR Products

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page