Second 3.7 now in the driveway - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Second 3.7 now in the driveway

Well I recently traded "down" from my 2011 F150 FX4 to a 2012 premium V6 auto. The truck payments were killing me.

I have to say after about 3,000 miles on the new premium I had some observations I thought I would share with everyone.

First, the car came with after market bullit style wheels and Pirelli PZero Nero tires, and otherwise stock.

The tires whine like I have never heard in a car before, these tires are much noisier than the bf Goodrich eagle f1 supercar tires on my '13 PP V6.

Second, the transmission shifting, I have found that with my somewhat spirited driving style I have come to prefer the shifting of the '12 better than the '13, Ford clearly made a slight tweak to the shift points and the '13 is more docile than the '12 in everyday driving.

In spirited(okay okay, hard) driving the shifting is okay, in a straight shot going once, then slowing down for another go. In the twistys and hard driving through traffic it sucks, the '13 certainly seems to perceive what gear selection I prefer while driving hard better, never mind the sport shift mode. The sport shift mode in the '13 compared to the hill assist mode in the '12 isn't a competition, the '13 sport mode is significantly better at down shifting, holding gears longer, etc. and the select shift feature in the '13 is far more refined and precise than 1,2,3 shifting the '12, the vague meer suggestion of a shift in the '12 is terrible compared to the '13, and the '13 isn't all that spectacular either.

Lastly, the handling in the '12 is far more vague and floaty, especially in the rear than the '13. This certainly due to the PP's bigger sway bars, higher spring rates, bigger, lower profile tires and the strut tower brace.

So in conclusion I can say I far prefer the '13 PP V6 as a spirited driving car over the '12, the '12 is a nicer more comfortable long haul driver though with it plusher suspension and the 2.73 rear getting 3.5-4 mpg's better than the PP in highway driving and far better than that in spirited driving. My biggest complaint has to be the shifting of the '12 I have found that generally speaking I really do not like shifting of it and would take the '13's shift parameters any day of the week over the '12.

2013 V6 Performance Pack - Stock..... for now

2013 V6 Base Performance Pack - Stock..... for now
2012 V6 Premium - GT front swap..... more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013
Apprentice

Sounds like a nice upgrade. Any pictures or plans?

2009 Chevrolet Corvette
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013
Apprentice

Welcome to the double 6 club. It isn't a big club but its cool to have 2 different 6's that act totally different. I agree with your assessment of the 2. Enjoy!!

11 AT 3.7 BBK ceramic LT. ORX w/res. Borla S. BBK TB. Roush CAI. Bama 93R. 2:73 candy red w/black. Saddle int.
14 MT82 3.7 Performance Package GHIG 3.31gear. Stock.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013
Sean Reilly

Yeah, the '13-'14's have a much less aggressive Torque Converter with a Lower Flash (Stall) Speed, not to mention a different TC Lockup Strategy in the TCM Software....

With the '11-'12's you could Easily Roast the Tires Off while doing a Brake Stand!....But with the '13-'14's Even the V8 Guys can barely get the Tires to Chirp.....

Sean.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

My thing is that anything past 3000rpm and driving aggressively the 13 is waaay better than the 12. The 12 is only marginally better suited to my driving style while toting around town.

I would love to have a tune that doesn't affect the shift parameters while in drive but hitting the hill assist mode would activate the tune, as well as the1,2,3 shifting being aggressive

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013
PONY Member

Any photos, I don't believe you.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I don't have two 6s but I do have two '11 convertibles. I love the 500 but I drive the 6 quite a bit more ... and it's not because of the mileage.

2011 Shelby Convertible w/SVT Performance & Electronics Packages
2011 Shelby GTS V6 Convertible, AT, CAI, Aluminum DS, 3.73, Tune
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013
PONY Member

Why didn't you get the MT82?

`13 DIB, MCA, Perf Pac, Comf Pac, Back Up Camera, MT82, AE Driveshaft, Bama Tune: 93R, BBK Shortys. Borla Touring Mufflers, Air Raid CAI, AM Shift Knob, WeatherTec mats, Stripes and Tint. "Winter 18" GT Wheels and Tires, powder coated black" Redline Hood Struts, Steeda LCAs. Paid Cash.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

MACH I Member

I've never driven a '13, but I do find that the automatic transmission on my 2011 is a POS. I've driven a Kia Soul with better shift points and responsiveness.

As far as ride and handling you can't really compare the two cars though because you have the performance package on the '13.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I agree, the Performance Pack on the '13 is worlds apart from the stock setup on the '12. For the money I couldn't ask for much more out of the OEM for a handling upgrade. It would have been nice to see a set of lowering springs in place of the GT rate springs but I can't complain still a lot of fun.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerJerney View Post
Why didn't you get the MT82?

My wife and I intentionally bought the '13 with the auto due to quality concerns of the MT82 and the fact that they added the select shift feature that I had accustomed myself to since it was in our '11 FX4.

As far as the '12 goes we picked up off the dealer lot as a trade in, had been looking for a manual for a few weeks but apperently manual V6 mustangs do not exist in Charlotte, NC....

Rookie

i drive a 11 auto... rented a 2014 and hated it.
since its a rental car, i took it out to some deserted roads outside of vegas. I found i couldnt get the tires to spin, and it just felt sluggish. my car had a tune, ( so i guess that explains some... but yeah not a fan of the car i drove. i was thinking of trading my 11 in for a 14... no longer am i plagued with such thoughts.

11 v6 auto. black.black bbk longtubes/xpipe, magnaflow gt competition exhaust, sct93 tune, Eibach Pro kit, GT break upgrade.
Rookie
S197 Member

Hey 13V6PP, PM me if you want to experience just how different the 12 trans shifts with a tune, I'm in Charlotte too.

2012 Black on Black V6 Premium MCA Convertible, tint, adjustable head rests, windstop, Catback, AiRaid and MPT tune.

Previous Mustangs: 06 GT vert, 03 GT vert, 79 Turbo, 70 Mach 1 351C Ramair, 67 notchback, 65 notchback
PONY Member

I have the Slap Stick in my 11 Ram Hemi. On its best day, it's not a manual. No one with an MT 82 has ever complained about the shift points. It's a big world out there. If you can't find what you want in Charlotte, look outside Charlotte. If anything ever happened to my car, I'd get another one just like it.

`13 DIB, MCA, Perf Pac, Comf Pac, Back Up Camera, MT82, AE Driveshaft, Bama Tune: 93R, BBK Shortys. Borla Touring Mufflers, Air Raid CAI, AM Shift Knob, WeatherTec mats, Stripes and Tint. "Winter 18" GT Wheels and Tires, powder coated black" Redline Hood Struts, Steeda LCAs. Paid Cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page