Cold weather with a manual <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
MACH I Member

I dunno. 31k on stock fluid and I don't have any issues in the cold.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

19k miles in 7 months? How did that happen?

Especially when cold, and initially starting out in first gear, the engine rpms hang up, and takes a while to drop. If I don't wait until the rpms drop, second can be quite notchy. I live on a hill, with 3.31s, so if I want, I can skip all that and just start out in second. I drive a semi for UPS, so I've been forced to get good at rev matching. Stock fluid and shifter work for me. Oh, almost forgot, probably placebo, but I park in second just for good measure. I like my MT82 a lot.

`13 DIB, MCA, Perf Pac, Comf Pac, Back Up Camera, MT82, AE Driveshaft, Bama Tune: 93R, BBK Shortys. Borla Touring Mufflers, Air Raid CAI, AM Shift Knob, WeatherTec mats, Stripes and Tint. "Winter 18" GT Wheels and Tires, powder coated black" Redline Hood Struts, Steeda LCAs. Paid Cash.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerJerney View Post
19k miles in 7 months? How did that happen?

Especially when cold, and initially starting out in first gear, the engine rpms hang up, and takes a while to drop. If I don't wait until the rpms drop, second can be quite notchy. I live on a hill, with 3.31s, so if I want, I can skip all that and just start out in second. I drive a semi for UPS, so I've been forced to get good at rev matching. Stock fluid and shifter work for me. Oh, almost forgot, probably placebo, but I park in second just for good measure. I like my MT82 a lot.
Real easy lol. I hit 28k in the first year. It's meant to drive not sit parked!

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way

GT Member

mine feels like crap when its cold out too.. I have a barton lower bracket, spec flyhweel and exedy clutch. it felt like crap in the cold before all this too. I also have redline MTL fluid in my trans.

Grabber Blue 2012 V6 6-Speed Procharger P-1SC-1 @ 8psi tuned by Mustang Magic, Tial-Q BOV 3.55 Gears, Spec flywheel, exedy stage-3 clutch, 4in Alum. Driveshaft, Lethal Off-Road X, 12" resonators, 2.5" exhaust all the way back, QTP electric cutouts, GT500 Axlebacks, Barton Shifter, FRPP Strut tower bar, J&M LCA's, Steeda UCA ,CHE adj. panhard bar, FRPP P-Springs...lots of show mods
409/335 on a 98 degree day -- [email protected] - Car has 11's in it!
Rookie

I have also been thinking of replacing the stock clutch fluid line
with the SR steel flexible line from AM.

I was watching a Joe Heck Racing video where they show replaced
the stock clutch line with one they have made.They show that
the diameter in the ford stock fitting is smaller than the diameter
of in the line.

They state after replacing the clutch line it fixed the shifting troubles.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
19k miles in 7 months? How did that happen
90 miles a day to and from work, almost 30,000 miles in 1 year for me and at 31,000 now.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Mine is a little stiff shifting at first when it gets cold but nothing I would consider a problem. I just make sure to give the car 5 - 10 minutes of warmup time when it gets bitter cold. I drive easy until everything has warmed up.

[LEFT][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=Red]2013 V6 Base, Manual / Race Red / Roush CAI / Roush Axle Back/w square tips / Steeda tower brace.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/LEFT]
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yeah I drive 40 miles each way to work 5-6 days per week. That's why I bought this car, great fuel economy and fun to drive at the same time. Like I said, I'm used to manual transmissions and I realize they are stubborn in the cold weather. My problem with this gearbox is that its performance isn't acceptable for a brand new car. I would understand if the car had ten winters or 100k and it shifted a little strange, but it hasn't even been through a cold month yet so I'm worried about the future. I'm always easy on the car until the cylinder head temp is >190F and oil temps are normal, which is usually 10-15 minutes in the mornings. I talked to the Ford dealer near my office this afternoon. They were no help of course. The parts guy had never heard of it, and said it wasn't listed for him to purchase. And if he did purchase any, I would have to buy the case. I am not particularly fond of that dealer, so I will try my usual guys in Knoxville at Lance Cunningham Ford. They are a much larger dealer so maybe they will know something.

Airaid CAI, Roush axle-backs, Roush high flow upper grill, Raxiom Smoked Projector HIDs
GT Member
5.0L Member

Mine shifts like garbage when cold. Not even that cold out. When it dips into the low 60s it starts having problems on the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts. Its like butter after its warmed up.

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.
PONY Member

30,000 miles per year, at 30 mpg means a thousand gallons of fuel per year, at let's say, $3.50 a gallon= $3500.00. Ouch.

`13 DIB, MCA, Perf Pac, Comf Pac, Back Up Camera, MT82, AE Driveshaft, Bama Tune: 93R, BBK Shortys. Borla Touring Mufflers, Air Raid CAI, AM Shift Knob, WeatherTec mats, Stripes and Tint. "Winter 18" GT Wheels and Tires, powder coated black" Redline Hood Struts, Steeda LCAs. Paid Cash.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
30,000 miles per year, at 30 mpg means a thousand gallons of fuel per year, at let's say, $3.50 a gallon= $3500.00. Ouch.
Even worse when you are only averaging 25.8, still have to drive in town.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
MACH I Member

Quote:
No ouch to it.

Apprentice

is this xl-18 different from the tsb they issued for the dual clutch fluid change? I've had the dual clutch fluid tsb work done to my manual and it is still notchy... first to second and second to third sound like they are grinding every time I try to put it into gear.. this is whenever it is below 60 and gets worse as the temperatures drop further. 12 PP so 3.31 gears
Sean Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureDriving View Post
is this xl-18 different from the tsb they issued for the dual clutch fluid change? I've had the dual clutch fluid tsb work done to my manual and it is still notchy... first to second and second to third sound like they are grinding every time I try to put it into gear.. this is whenever it is below 60 and gets worse as the temperatures drop further. 12 PP so 3.31 gears
Yep, this is totally different.........

Sean.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I just talked to a guy in the parts dept at the dealer where I purchased the car. He had never heard of XL-18. I'm really not sure if I need to just buy some of this stuff from Ford or go through the dealer. I did get him to verify the TSB on the lower control arms, so I've got an appointment next week to get them looked at.

Airaid CAI, Roush axle-backs, Roush high flow upper grill, Raxiom Smoked Projector HIDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page