Cold weather with a manual <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Cold weather with a manual trans

Here in east TN, the weather has dropped down into the high 20s-30F early in the morning. Every manual transmission I've owned is always a little bitchy in the cold, but this MT-82 is so difficult to work with before it's up to temp 15-20 minutes down the road. Have you guys that live in colder areas switched trans fluid or are you still running the stock fluid?

My car is 7 months old now with 19k miles. The shift from 1st to 2nd feels absolutely awful, and 2nd to 3rd often hangs up halfway through. I've resorted to double clutching full time now as I can't stand how it feels. Should I look into different fluid? I don't feel like there is anything wrong with the car, just not happy with the shifting feel.

Airaid CAI, Roush axle-backs, Roush high flow upper grill, Raxiom Smoked Projector HIDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013
PONY Member

I am further north in MD, and my car's transmission feels OK. I have a 2014 V6 manual with just 2000 miles. But I did two things to my MT-82 (see below):

1) MGW shifter
2) BG Syncro Shift II transmission fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhance View Post
Here in east TN, the weather has dropped down into the high 20s-30F early in the morning. Every manual transmission I've owned is always a little bitchy in the cold, but this MT-82 is so difficult to work with before it's up to temp 15-20 minutes down the road. Have you guys that live in colder areas switched trans fluid or are you still running the stock fluid?

My car is 7 months old now with 19k miles. The shift from 1st to 2nd feels absolutely awful, and 2nd to 3rd often hangs up halfway through. I've resorted to double clutching full time now as I can't stand how it feels. Should I look into different fluid? I don't feel like there is anything wrong with the car, just not happy with the shifting feel.

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013
Rookie

I can tell you it doesnt get any better at 50,000 miles lol. I'm planning on getting a new clutch and flywheel and maybe that will help.

2011 Mustang V6

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

30,000 miles on mine and it shifts fine. But I also park in my garage when at home but it sits out at work and still no problems.
BTW where you at in East TN? I am north of Knoxville.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
30,000 miles on mine and it shifts fine. But I also park in my garage when at home but it sits out at work and still no problems.
BTW where you at in East TN? I am north of Knoxville.
You don't notice anything different in the cold? Hm. Most transmissions I've used at least feel stiffer and less compliant. I'm about 40ish miles east of Knoxville in Hamblen County. How about that cold snap we had?

Airaid CAI, Roush axle-backs, Roush high flow upper grill, Raxiom Smoked Projector HIDs
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

We got down to 26 here in Clinton, and working outside and I don't like Cold.
After reading all the cold complaints with the Manual I was regretting last winter, but no problems at all.
I plan on changing the shift bracket, but that is more a fast shifting problem over a cold shift issue. I am one that likes the height and throw on the stock shifter.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013
PONY Member

Ford has released a new additive called XL-18 for the manual transmission fluid. You could try that...

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740weapon View Post
Ford has released a new additive called XL-18 for the manual transmission fluid. You could try that...
This is the first I've heard of that. I'll do some research about it, thanks.

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013
PONY Member

Row the gears a couple times and you're good.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by <3_3.7 View Post
Row the gears a couple times and you're good.
The problem is that isn't really possible lately. To get into 2nd I have to perfectly rev match, and 3rd feels like I'm chipping teeth or something.

PONY Member

Install a Barton shifter bracket first. I doubt fluid will cause such a big problem.
Barton Industries Mustang Shifter Bracket - MT-82 2011BM-4 (11-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping 2011BM-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhance View Post
The problem is that isn't really possible lately. To get into 2nd I have to perfectly rev match, and 3rd feels like I'm chipping teeth or something.

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
Rookie

I installed the two post barton shift bracket.It helped tighten up
the shifts.I also replaced the fluid with Redline MTL fluid
and that helped to also make the shifts easier.

Also change out the brake fluid if its dirty, also helps as
this fluid is also used in your clutch.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv4spd View Post
Install a Barton shifter bracket first. I doubt fluid will cause such a big problem.
Barton Industries Mustang Shifter Bracket - MT-82 2011BM-4 (11-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping 2011BM-4
I was thinking it was a fluid problem since it is heavily affected by the ambient temperatures. It seems to me the bracket would help with chassis flex or powershifting, but I don't have a problem there. I may end up breaking down and buying the whole Barton shifter and bracket setup soon.

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdave View Post
I installed the two post barton shift bracket.It helped tighten up
the shifts.I also replaced the fluid with Redline MTL fluid
and that helped to also make the shifts easier.

Also change out the brake fluid if its dirty, also helps as
this fluid is also used in your clutch.
I've thought about changing brake fluid and switching to stainless steel lines, but I'll probably wait until the summer.

Sean Reilly

Yep! Go to a Ford Dealer and Order up a Bottle of XL-18
There is a Sticky Thread about this Issue at the Top of the Page in the 2011+GT Forum!.....Same Tranny, so go check out the Thread

Sean.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page