storing car for the winter / with a tune - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

storing car for the winter / with a tune

Hello , got a question. Im going to store my car for the winter and probly unhook the battery, should I return car to stock or leave the tune on ? Did not know what would happen with no power to the CPU with a tune on it and no power for long term if any ?

2012 3.7
75MM TB
CA intake
3.31 rear gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013
Apprentice

I don't see any problems but I'm no tuner.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013
MACH I Member
V6 Member

Send a message via MSN to Derfdog15 Send a message via Yahoo to Derfdog15
I have disconnected my battery multiple times while a tune is loaded, and it remains loaded after reconnecting the battery. I don't see an issue.

2003 Redfire V6,
Show: Smoked everything, cobra front bumper, gt rear bumper, rear decklid and lower valence blackout with black mustang letters, 5% rear front 15%, black 98 Cobra rims front, 95 Cobra R rear black with chrome lip, black scoops and spoiler and exhaust tips

Go: CAI, True Duals with flowmaster super 44's, Bama Tune, full suspension (lowered, 8.8, 4.10s, UCA, LCA, springs, CC plates)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Once the tune is loaded it remains just as the stock tune would even with extended battery disconnect, it will just go through the standard relearn cycle, same as it would any time you disconnect the battery.

You would be better off not disconnecting the battery though, instead get a battery maintainer/tender and use that while it's being stored to keep the battery healthy.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013
Apprentice

Garage
reminds me

That time is coming. i don't take mine off the road for winter but it is on light duty with the NE New Jersey weather salt and snow.
My garage is not that warm. Basically The Mustang will sit in the Garage 6 days a week. I put a Battery tender on it. I keep the gas tank full.
In addition I start it and let it run once or twice a week. As well as drive it a few miles once a weekend (weather permitting).

2017 Mustang GT. 6 speed . Bone stock. K&N drop in air filter. Shadow black. Purchased brand new 9/5/2017.

(Sold 9/5/2017 )2012 3.7 Kona Blue, 6 Speed , 3.31 Gears. Window Sticker Online 1/26/2012 Build date 2/1/2012. ETA 2/9/2012 TAKE HOME AND RIDING 2/18/2012
K&N Drop in Filter for now. Ford Racing Boss strut tower brace. Bullitt Rims from American Muscle.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013
Sean Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Once the tune is loaded it remains just as the stock tune would even with extended battery disconnect, it will just go through the standard relearn cycle, same as it would any time you disconnect the battery.

You would be better off not disconnecting the battery though, instead get a battery maintainer/tender and use that while it's being stored to keep the battery healthy.
^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is GREAT ADVICE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good Post Jason....

Sean.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadjones99 View Post
Hello , got a question. Im going to store my car for the winter and probly unhook the battery, should I return car to stock or leave the tune on ? Did not know what would happen with no power to the CPU with a tune on it and no power for long term if any ?
Maybe Im wrong, but don't you guys in Arizona have pretty good weather all year round. ?
I agree with the previous posts. I store my car for about 5 months and I use a trickle charger on the battery. If you have access to hydro, that's the way to go.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page