New owner with question about Airaid Cold Air Intake - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

New owner with question about Airaid Cold Air Intake

So I recently purchased a base model 2012 Mustang. I just installed an Airaid CAI. I have never modded a car before so I just wanted to make sure that what I am experiencing is normal.

When I really get into the throttle or the car has to work like going up hills and the trans stays in a higher gear I can really hear the engine now. What I mean is the growl is much more noticeable. I know this is probably a stupid question and people will say what else where you expecting but I just did not expect that much of a change in engine sound. I am not complaining just making sure the change was supposed to be that noticeable.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
Welcome to the site!! Yes sir,it is supposed to sound that way-enjoy!!

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

That sound is half the fun! Enjoy it.

2014 V6 Auto, black, Performance Package, 102a, Dynotech drive shaft, brakes: Wilwood Superlite (front), adj. panhard; 3.73 gear; Steeda Sport Springs; Steeda sway bar.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

By installing on open element air filter setup you have taken all the sound damping out of the inlet, it is going to be loud that way.

And a tune will take care of that transmission action, make it like a whole new car, a lots faster whole new car.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013
Apprentice

That is totally normal. It is the sound of the beast you awakened .

2012 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium MT

Airaid CAI/ Bassani Axleback/ BAMA 87 Performance Tune
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the answers. I figured that was the case but just wanted to be sure.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0null View Post
So I recently purchased a base model 2012 Mustang. I just installed an Airaid CAI. I have never modded a car before so I just wanted to make sure that what I am experiencing is normal.

When I really get into the throttle or the car has to work like going up hills and the trans stays in a higher gear I can really hear the engine now. What I mean is the growl is much more noticeable. I know this is probably a stupid question and people will say what else where you expecting but I just did not expect that much of a change in engine sound. I am not complaining just making sure the change was supposed to be that noticeable.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum and Congratulations on your new Mustang! Yes, all of the noises you're experiencing are completely normal. You're really going to hear the engine scream with a CAI on there!

Post up some pictures of your new Stang, we'd love to check it out. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks Dan.

Next is axle back exhaust once I decide on the Borla Stinger or the Borla ATAK and I get 50 posts so I can get the AM discount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0009.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	282618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0011.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	941.0 KB
ID:	282626  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013
GT Member

Do you guys with the CAI find that the car is louder in normal cruising, or just when you accelerate? One of the things I like about the car is how well it's insulated from road noise; sometimes I feel like I'm in a lincoln. Would like to add some growl only when I hit the "go" pedal. Don't want a noiser car all around because that gets fatiguing on longer trips.

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Jazzcat, that is really the only time you will hear the growl. I travel for work and just drove 300 highway miles and the sound was normal for the whole trip. But once you get into it you will definitely had a good difference.

PONY Member

It growls when you get on the gas. You CAN hear it even at partial throttle but its not annoying. I like the sound.

2012 Black MCA, HID package, Steeda splitter, Airaid cold air intake, AM Hood struts, FRPP Sport axle back, Soon : matching lower grille, MMD tailight surrounds and tint.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

That is normal, though the pop would concern me. Just try to be more careful, and like above, a shifter will help make sure that doesn't happen again.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
Rookie

Welcome, and congrats on the mustang, it looks great!
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0null View Post
Thanks Dan.

Next is axle back exhaust once I decide on the Borla Stinger or the Borla ATAK and I get 50 posts so I can get the AM discount.
Nice! I think I have the twin to ' your mustang. For what it's worth, if you don't like the white stripes at the bottom of the rockers, it peels right off. Grab one edge and peel back at an angle. It was the first mod I did to my car. Then a shorty antenna, then a shifter knob, etc. Next on the list are shorty headers, FRPP sport exhaust, airaid cai,
and finally rims and tires. I'm really having problems finding the right rims to go on a ruby red mustang. Chrome or machined? I don't like all black rims, there needs to be some contrast imho.

Anyways, nice 'stang!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yeah, I was going to remove the white stripe but the wife said no and if I want to be able to continue to buy mods then I have to keep her happy. I was actually leaning towards matte black rims as I don't like a lot of flash. Down the road I am thinking long tube headers, shorty O/R X pipe and then lowering springs and staggered 18".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page