miss shifted and reved my 3.7 to 8k! - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
MACH I Member

Your engine is probably fine. Good thing you didn't spin out though. That kind of thing can be dangerous.

2018 GT350 - Race red

2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sean Reilly

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivix View Post
Fuel and spark cutoffs have nothing to do with this btw- it was a mechanical over rev. Jamming it into 1st at the top of second will force the engine up to whatever speed that would require, probably a lot more than 8k (where your gauge stops).

Keep an eye on it, listen for anything weird, and change the oil/ trans fluid and look for anything scary in there
Well Paul........Yeah it Actually Does INDEED have something to Do with the Over Rev. that He Performed........
And the reason Why, is because at that Point (No Fuel, or Spark) It is Called a "COLD Over Rev.".....Therefore the Chances of Catastrophic Engine Failure IS Expediently Reduced!.....Compared to an Over Rev. that happens with the Engine actually Combusting!......
It is akin to Missing a Gear (But as I Stated, His Clutch most likely was the Mechanical Part that took the Most Damage.......

Sean.

GT Member

did the same thing at the track over the spring. as soon as i felt the car lurch forward and realized wtf was going on i popped the clutch in, i saw almost 8k before i caught it. besides leaving a flat spot in my drag radials when my tires locked up which scared the crap out of me... my motor and trans are fine. not somthing you ever want to do but it can happen if your trying to shift fast and pull back the wrong way.

Grabber Blue 2012 V6 6-Speed Procharger P-1SC-1 @ 8psi tuned by Mustang Magic, Tial-Q BOV 3.55 Gears, Spec flywheel, exedy stage-3 clutch, 4in Alum. Driveshaft, Lethal Off-Road X, 12" resonators, 2.5" exhaust all the way back, QTP electric cutouts, GT500 Axlebacks, Barton Shifter, FRPP Strut tower bar, J&M LCA's, Steeda UCA ,CHE adj. panhard bar, FRPP P-Springs...lots of show mods
409/335 on a 98 degree day -- [email protected] - Car has 11's in it!

MACH I Member

Yup, that's called a Money Shift. I saw it in person (in my friend's Subaru) and luckily she just glazed her clutch and flywheel. Lots of times it causes damage to heads. If you don't hear any unusual noises, you may be just as lucky.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

Apprentice

May not be relevant, but I've heard Matt Farah from The Smoking Tire refer to Porsche's over-rev count in their cars. Apparently there's a computer parameter that measures how many times an over-rev has occurred, and that's a big deal in the used Porsche market. I don't know much about it personally, but if they care enough to count the over-revs it must be something that, while horrible, isn't a game over for an engine. I'm interested to read more about what this does to an engine not to mention the drive train.

Airaid CAI, Roush axle-backs, Roush high flow upper grill, Raxiom Smoked Projector HIDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page