miss shifted and reved my 3.7 to 8k! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

miss shifted and reved my 3.7 to 8k!

Ok, so today i went from second to third and went back into 1st on accident! This is the first and hopefully the last time this has ever happened to my 2013 3.7. It reved up to 8k and made a pop sound! I then put it in nuetral and drove home normally. After the incident the engine sounded normal and everything seemed unharmed. Is there anything i should check for damage?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013
Sean Reilly

Smile

Your 3.7 Bullet is Just Fine!.......Im sure that you put a Nice Glazing on your Clutch (That will also be Fine) ......But Im SURE that you wont be doing that again anytime Soon! ......

Both your Fuel Cutoff, and Spark Cutoff should have been Triggered, So I Doubt the PCM Actually let your engine Rev. all the way to 8K.

Sean.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Its a relief to here that! I really wish bama would have just raised the rev limiter instead of totally eliminating it with their tunes. But i digress. My clutch felt a little Wierd after that but its now back to normal. I thought for sure that I killed my stang when it happened! And no i wont be doing that again (knock on wood)!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013
RonX91

Not too sure how accidentally shifting in to first instead of second is even possible... I mean, the gears are in opposite directions... :/

Anyways, these cars have cutoffs in place to prevent stuff like this from breaking engines. As long as you didn't see any smoke and you don't hear unusual noises then you should be fine. If you hear anything funny over the next week or so I highly recommend getting it looked at the same day. As said above the only thing you probably really hurt was your clutch.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Red face

No no no i was going from second to third and accidentially went into first . And it made a pop noise when it reved up and right after it made the sound i got it in nuetral. The clutch felt shorter and a little spongy right after but that went away within a couple of minutes. I just drove about 30 miles trying to notice any new noises or feels but everything seems normal.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013
Rookie

What he is saying Is how do you go from 2nd to 3rd an then into 1st again. I can't quite understand what you were trying to do either..
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013
Apprentice

Garage
From the sounds of it, he never made it to third. Hence the accidental downshift to first gear instead of the upshift to third.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

I didnt explain that very clearly. What I ment is that I was going from second to third but confused 1st for third. I was accelerating hard and went to quick shift into third but miss shifted into first. Stupid i know.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013
Rookie

Ohhhh! I thought you were downshifting. But ouch man lol you got lucky!
PONY Member

Yeah check your shifting, maybe some practice would help. Maybe an MGW shifter.
PONY Member

It's fine. The pop you heard was probably back pressure in your exhaust
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoTheKing View Post
It's fine. The pop you heard was probably back pressure in your exhaust
I too know the sound he's talking about..heard it one time my self when revving high. I have my rev limiter raised but sometimes it may pass it a bit on hard wot! That's when I heard mine..everything was fine and still is but I'm positive it wasn't back pressure. Sounded like it came from the engine..

GRABBER BLUE 2012 Mustang Coupe V6 Premium|Pony Package*

Performance: Airaid Intake, SCT SF3 Tuner, BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers, LethalPerformance O/R H-Pipe, FRPP Sport Axle-backs, JLT Oil Separator, DriveShaftShop Aluminum Driveshaft.
Suspension: Boss 302 Strut Brace, Steeda: Chrome Moly LCA's, Adj.UCA, Adj.Panhard bar, Ultra-Lite Springs, Pro-Action Shocks/Struts, Heavy-Duty Caster Camber Plates & Trunk X-Brace.
Wheels/Tires: Staggered 19" Forgestar Wheels with Nitto Invo Tires.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang20133 View Post
Ok, so today i went from second to third and went back into 1st on accident! This is the first and hopefully the last time this has ever happened to my 2013 3.7. It reved up to 8k and made a pop sound! I then put it in nuetral and drove home normally. After the incident the engine sounded normal and everything seemed unharmed. Is there anything i should check for damage?
Fuel and spark cutoffs have nothing to do with this btw- it was a mechanical over rev. Jamming it into 1st at the top of second will force the engine up to whatever speed that would require, probably a lot more than 8k (where your gauge stops).

Keep an eye on it, listen for anything weird, and change the oil/ trans fluid and look for anything scary in there

==2012 Kona Blue Mustang V6==
==1995 Neon Coupe==
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Keep a close eye on it. A friend In his 5.0 did the exact Same thing as you and his engine made a huge pop sound and sounded bad. that was 5 months ago and it's been fine. Keep an eye on everything and never do that again

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
PONY Member

I heard that the 3.7 could go up to 9-10,000 rpm but doesn't make any power up that high.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page