Exhaust question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Exhaust question

so today since I had time at work to mess around with the mustang I decided to un bolt the mufflers to see what it sounds like, and I like it. to me at least it doesn't sound v6. just wanted to know if anyone has done the GT500 rear lip and exhaust kit from AM, and if they have sound clips? I love the look of quad tips, on the RS Camaro they have it and the Nissan GTR I like how they sound and look but im thinking of going GT500 axle back mufflerless

2015 Senior Master Ford Technician
WMR#1037
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

It will be a cut and weld operation to install a GT or GT500 exhaust on the V6 car since the pipe size is different.

And the quad tip GT500 mufflers sound soft on a GT, bound to be even softer on a V6.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013
PONY Member

If you are set on the quad tips, get the valence and either get something like the magnaflow quad muffler deletes for the gt500, which should give you a similar sound to when you pulled off the stock mufflers. However, as stated above there would have to be some modifying of some kind to get the mufflers to fit with the over the axle pipes since gt500 stuff has 3 inch diameter pipes. The other option is get the valence and see if a muffler shop could make a quad tip exhaust for you which might be the more cost effective route to go.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Race Red GT/CS: current
MGW race spec shifter, Borla ATAK axle backs w/ resonator deletes, Boss Intake Manifold w/ Steeda CAI, stainless power longtube headers, driveshaft shop carbon fiber drive shaft, ACT twin disc clutch.

2014 Race Red V6: sold
Airaid Cold Air Intake, pype bomb axle backs, bama 91p tune, ford racing 3.73 gears, Barton short throw shifter, Mac ceramic shorty headers.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
It will be a cut and weld operation to install a GT or GT500 exhaust on the V6 car since the pipe size is different.

And the quad tip GT500 mufflers sound soft on a GT, bound to be even softer on a V6.
i didn't see that mentioned on AM with their GT500 lip and muffler kit. unless i missed it. im not sure if i like the raspy poping at the end would like to mellow that out but still have the loud sound it has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloStang2010 View Post
If you are set on the quad tips, get the valence and either get something like the magnaflow quad muffler deletes for the gt500, which should give you a similar sound to when you pulled off the stock mufflers. However, as stated above there would have to be some modifying of some kind to get the mufflers to fit with the over the axle pipes since gt500 stuff has 3 inch diameter pipes. The other option is get the valence and see if a muffler shop could make a quad tip exhaust for you which might be the more cost effective route to go.

the valence part is no problem since i work at a dealer i can get that half the price. from what you both have said i guess i need to measure the pipe, it looked to be 3 inch to me. not going the muffle shop route i did that with my last 2 cars and with DD's they rust out and fall off.

but thanks for the info.

WMR#1037
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostStang14 View Post
i didn't see that mentioned on AM with their GT500 lip and muffler kit. unless i missed it. im not sure if i like the raspy poping at the end would like to mellow that out but still have the loud sound it has.

the valence part is no problem since i work at a dealer i can get that half the price. from what you both have said i guess i need to measure the pipe, it looked to be 3 inch to me. not going the muffle shop route i did that with my last 2 cars and with DD's they rust out and fall off.

but thanks for the info.
That kit on A/M is listed for GT's not V6's.

The V6 has 2.25" pipes, the GT/GT500 has 2.75".

And the cut and weld sure shouldn't rust out, the oem pipe material is 409 SS, so if you cut the ends off the oem V6 muffler pipes and weld them onto the GT500 mufflers, the only possible rust would be in the welds if the muffler shop uses mild steel filler wire in their welder, and you could coat the welds with cold galvanizing compound or some other rust preventative.

Up to you, only other thing to do is buy something specifically made for the V6 car.
_

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Magnaflow makes a Quad tip for the V6, not a true muffler delete but it does seem to get rid of the Raspiness Magnaflow Competition Quad Tip Mustang Axle-back Exhaust 15076 (11-12 V6) - Free Shipping 15076

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
That kit on A/M is listed for GT's not V6's.

The V6 has 2.25" pipes, the GT/GT500 has 2.75".

And the cut and weld sure shouldn't rust out, the oem pipe material is 409 SS, so if you cut the ends off the oem V6 muffler pipes and weld them onto the GT500 mufflers, the only possible rust would be in the welds if the muffler shop uses mild steel filler wire in their welder, and you could coat the welds with cold galvanizing compound or some other rust preventative.

Up to you, only other thing to do is buy something specifically made for the V6 car.
_
it is listed for the V6 that's where I had found it. I measured the pipe and it is 2.25", did think about getting the GT cat back pipes, but im guessing they are solid 2.75" at that point as well. other thought was doing that and getting a step up pipe to that size and some used GT pipes. didn't think of cutting the muffler pipes, but I think id like to have that for if I ever think of selling the mustang, though I don't think I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
Magnaflow makes a Quad tip for the V6, not a true muffler delete but it does seem to get rid of the Raspiness Magnaflow Competition Quad Tip Mustang Axle-back Exhaust 15076 (11-12 V6) - Free Shipping 15076
mines a 14' and I like the look but im not sure if they would work. also wanted black tips.

WMR#1037
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013
GT Member

I would just buy the valence and get a custom quad tip setup. I've got a 05 and cut out spots for quad tips on mine, and got a local guy to weld up the axle backs. Less than $200 for the work and parts.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Okay, you're right, they do list it under the V6 application, but it does say that V6's require exhaust mods to make it fit. Kind of dumb to list it that way.

And if you're looking for black tips, the dual tips on those mufflers have polished stainless tips, not black.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstafford1 View Post
I would just buy the valence and get a custom quad tip setup. I've got a 05 and cut out spots for quad tips on mine, and got a local guy to weld up the axle backs. Less than $200 for the work and parts.

I have thought of that but last car I had done that with it rusted off within 2 years. another thing is around where I live I don't know of any shops that can do it.

Quote:
Okay, you're right, they do list it under the V6 application, but it does say that V6's require exhaust mods to make it fit. Kind of dumb to list it that way.

And if you're looking for black tips, the dual tips on those mufflers have polished stainless tips, not black.
I could always sand an paint them.

WMR#1037
PONY Member

Powder coating might be a better option if you want the black look like I did. I had to have one of my pype bombs redone and it turned out awesome.

2011 Race Red GT/CS: current
MGW race spec shifter, Borla ATAK axle backs w/ resonator deletes, Boss Intake Manifold w/ Steeda CAI, stainless power longtube headers, driveshaft shop carbon fiber drive shaft, ACT twin disc clutch.

2014 Race Red V6: sold
Airaid Cold Air Intake, pype bomb axle backs, bama 91p tune, ford racing 3.73 gears, Barton short throw shifter, Mac ceramic shorty headers.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
according to their site this will not work on the 13-14 models

WMR#1037
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page