Best route to fix the exhaust rasp? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Best route to fix the exhaust rasp?

I've done a lot of searching, but I'm a bit confused about what I can do with my exhaust setup. My car is currently under warranty, so I can't do an O/R X or H pipe (I think? According to a dealer rep). I currently just have an Airaid intake and Roush axle-backs, but I'm still really bothered by the amount of horrible rasp around 3k RPMs. I've heard you guys talk about resonators of different lengths fixing the rasp, but I don't know what to take to my muffler shop to get this problem fixed once and for all. I wouldn't even bother with this, but with this engine and a 2.73 rear end I really can't avoid the 3k RPM range in normal daily driving. So every time I open it up I have to hear that really ****** rasp before the engine really screams. Can anyone possibly spare me a straight answer on what I need to bring the exhaust shop to get rid of this? I would really appreciate it if anyone could put in laymen's terms what causes and what would alleviate my exhaust issues!

Airaid CAI, Roush axle-backs, Roush high flow upper grill, Raxiom Smoked Projector HIDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Sheesh! Just take the Roush exhaust off and put the stock mufflers back on.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Just take the Roush exhaust off
this. or put gt 500 axle backs on - some ppl claim a bit of rasp with Roush

2014 GT- 3.73, MT 82, comfort pkg, roush a/b, f14 19x9/19x10 conti DW

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I love the sound and especially the volume of the Roush mufflers and I'm definitely keeping them. I've had them on the car since 200 miles. I just want to figure out what I can do about the 3k RPM rasp...

EDIT: Or if it's the Roush mufflers causing this, I'm ok with selling them and switching to another brand. I really love how loud they are and the vibrations they make within the car. It's just that little bit of rasp that's been bothering me. If it were anywhere else in the powerband I wouldn't care at all, but 3k is unavoidable with this engine in daily driving.

Airaid CAI, Roush axle-backs, Roush high flow upper grill, Raxiom Smoked Projector HIDs
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

It's a 60 degree V6, rasp is inherent in a free flowing exhaust on this engine.

And I could drive my 2.73 geared, manual, 2012 V6 all day without EVER going as high as 3000 rpm.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013
Banned

The only thing inherent here is the Roush mufflers. IF you are getting rasp and you have the stock Cats, resonators and mid pipe (no off road x) and you got rasp with just those mufflers, its the muffler design. I say this because I have 3 setups on my car with the stock X pipe and cats etc and Rasp did not occur till an off road pipe was introduced and the cats and resonators were removed.

There are lots of ways to fix it this but if the mufflers are that way to begin with its gets tricky. You have to tune the exhaust and that often is trial and error. If you add more resonators which you can you will want to go greater than 12". 12" long 4" diameter resonators will cut a little rasp off the top, will reduce or eliminate the drone on the highway but will probably not remove what you want, you will want to go with a longer tube say 16 to 18" resonators or go with something like Vibrant ultra quiet resonators but you run into other issues going longer.

#1 room to weld them into stock pipes, 4" is about the comfortable diameter but only a couple spots they can be welded.
#2 length may not give you many choices where you need the sound tuned the most.

Best results are usually further away from the axle backs, but if room is tight then you will have to go just before the over axles.

Cheapest most effective way in your setup and this sucks, is to replace those mufflers they are so well known for being raspy, get a higher quality set of axle backs that work best with your setup out of the box.

Check out some other brands etc. Because your options are a pair of $100 good resonators, maybe another $150 to $200 to have them welded and you may find it did not even make a dent at the right wavelength.

Most of the posts and reviews of those Roush mufflers are the same, all rasp. Not bad sounding till you hit that register, even the V6 shelby review complained about it and from the video I can see why.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

At the local cruise in had a guy that had Roush mufflers on it, put on Vibrant Resonators because of the Rasp and they worked, but he also lost the sound. He ended up going with Borla S type which was louder than the Roush after the Resonators but not as loud as before them.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013
Banned

Wonder where he placed them, that had an effect one the way the sound is tuned. Often if you place them further from the axles you will get more sound reduction, the closer you get you will loose less usually. You can see this with were the stock V6 places their resonators before the X as opposed to the GTs where they are placed after and almost middle of the mid pipe. Less distance from the mufflers.

From my understanding the length from where the wavelengths are slowed down, to where they exit has an effect on the sound output. But I also suppose that muffler design may also have a lot to do with it, if they are chambered no packing like MAC flowpaths or like Dynomax strait throughs with louvered cores and packing material you will get different results with resonators.

Chambered mufflers may get greater results with resonators over strait throughs. I do not know where the roush ones fall. never dissected those.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013
Apprentice

I'm currently looking for a set of GT resonators the sound difference is much better with them I think. Will be glad to tone down the rasp.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
PONY Member

You should be shifting at 2k rpm but I know what you mean, I have the same exact setup.

I'd give these a try, I heard it helps;
Vibrant Performance ::.
PONY Member

ive done a lot of research on this.

on our engine, rasp is mostly coming from the combination of 60 degree with an xpipe design.

what ive found that other cars have done to eliminate the rasp is one of these..

thats a magnaflow tru x muffler. think x pipe in a muffler.

you could put one after your x pipe, or alternatively, you could have an xpipe built with one

2013 Performance Pack, MCA, Leather Recaro's, NAV
Steeda Cold Air Intake | BBK Throttle Body | Steeda Shifter Bracket | Whiteline Transmission Mount | Magnaflow Street Catback Exhaust | Tuning Super Store Tuned on a Diablosport Intune i1000 | Eibach Sportline Springs | Koni Sport Dampers (Yellow) | Whiteline Lower Control Arms

Team Magnaflow | Team Road Race Motorsports
Apprentice

Thumbs up

Pretty certain that is one of our Ultra Flo Welded X mufflers. :yelpleased:

Ultra Flo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebrix View Post
ive done a lot of research on this.

on our engine, rasp is mostly coming from the combination of 60 degree with an xpipe design.

what ive found that other cars have done to eliminate the rasp is one of these..

thats a magnaflow tru x muffler. think x pipe in a muffler.

you could put one after your x pipe, or alternatively, you could have an xpipe built with one
PONY Member

lol whoops. i just google searched tru x. i wasnt aware there were a few of these out there.

ok so theirs too =p

the big thing, x in a muffler = no rasp

2013 Performance Pack, MCA, Leather Recaro's, NAV
Steeda Cold Air Intake | BBK Throttle Body | Steeda Shifter Bracket | Whiteline Transmission Mount | Magnaflow Street Catback Exhaust | Tuning Super Store Tuned on a Diablosport Intune i1000 | Eibach Sportline Springs | Koni Sport Dampers (Yellow) | Whiteline Lower Control Arms

Team Magnaflow | Team Road Race Motorsports
Apprentice

Thumbs up

No worries! I spent the last two days looking over our site and remembered that image. And you are right about the internal x-pipe. I have a lot of guys run this for space and a "dual" outlet option too.

A penguin gif?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebrix View Post
lol whoops. i just google searched tru x. i wasnt aware there were a few of these out there.

ok so theirs too =p

the big thing, x in a muffler = no rasp
Apprentice

Has anyone had any experience with one of these in the 3.7? Or know of a video this has really got me interested.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page