rear end gear help and opinions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

rear end gear help and opinions

I have a 2012 automatic v6 mustang base model and im getting ready to order new rear end gears for it because the stock 2.73 just arent cutting it, so im either going to swap to 3.73 or 4.10s.

1. what are the pros and cons of each? (outside of gas mileage)
2. has anyone had personal experience with either?
3. any advice would be great

sorry if something like this has already been posted, i just like the most recent information.

thanks guys

2012 v6 mustang base grabber blue auto
Performance: bbk lt headers, bbk o/r midpipe, thrush turbo mufflers, MPT 93r tune, airaid CAI, 3.73 FR gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Yes, subject has been posted many times.

My suggestion would be to go with a 3.31 gear, you will have a oem tune available and since the first gear in the auto is so low(4.236:1) 3.31's will be plenty.

The really fast mod in this situation is a high stall converter, will make a much bigger difference than a gear change, only down side is the cost.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

yea i already have unlimited tunes for life through bama so that part wouldnt be an issue. I mean other stuff like headers, mids. cai and what not but im just really needing help off the line is all

2012 v6 mustang base grabber blue auto
Performance: bbk lt headers, bbk o/r midpipe, thrush turbo mufflers, MPT 93r tune, airaid CAI, 3.73 FR gears

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnclutch View Post
yea i already have unlimited tunes for life through bama so that part wouldnt be an issue. I mean other stuff like headers, mids. cai and what not but im just really needing help off the line is all
The high stall converter will be the biggest help in getting off the line, even if you left the 2.73's in it.

You can knock a half second or more off the E.T.'s with a converter change, all those other mods you list put together might get that.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013
PONY Member

We have a lot of hills in East Tennessee . I went from the factory 3.31's to 3.73's, feels like a different car. Pulls the hills without effort, brings the torque down to slower speeds. 3.73's are good on highway driving, 60 mph is around 2,000 rpm. Now that my wife and i bought a new Edge, we can do most of the highway driving in it and not the Mustang. Because of this, i may change to 4.10's if i don't trade for a 2015 Mustang when they come out

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013
Rookie
V6 Member

Hey Ltngdrvr,
Ford service area rep says if I didn't get 3.31 from factory (Performance Pac) it can't be programed. Do you know a way? I have a programmer if need be but I would like stock tune to work when I trade it in.

I have a ""surge" 2nd to 3rd, drops rpm then flares rpm, just before shift.

The nice Lady rep said there may be a warranty issue because of the gear swap. I explaned to her that it has been to the dealer twice for this problem before I changed the gears. The dealer saw the problem but had no idea how to correct it. They up-dated PCM program and said "Try it and see how it does" No change

2013 Premium Black Auto.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnclutch View Post
I have a 2012 automatic v6 mustang base model and im getting ready to order new rear end gears for it because the stock 2.73 just arent cutting it, so im either going to swap to 3.73 or 4.10s.

1. what are the pros and cons of each? (outside of gas mileage)
2. has anyone had personal experience with either?
3. any advice would be great

sorry if something like this has already been posted, i just like the most recent information.

thanks guys
It's okay here to ask the same question over and over again so don't worry.

You won't go any faster with 4.10s than 3.73s, you'll just burn gas faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page