What's the hardest part of changing headers - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

What's the hardest part of changing headers

I am thinking to get new shorty headers for my 2014 V6. Looking at the engine bay, I feel like it is going to be an easy job. I can access all the bolts of the exhaust manifold from above.

But from what I read, it easily take a day for average Joe, or 4 hours for an experienced mechanic. So what's the hardest part of installing shorty headers?

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

When I installed my BBK longtubes, they almost fell right on. I mean this was the easiest header install, I have ever done.The only hard part was tightening the flange nuts.And it wasn't really hard, just took a bit of patience. Anyone who has trouble installing these headers on a 3.7, has never don't many header installations. The job took less that 6 hours start to finish which included installation of the catted mid pipe. And I took my time.
And by the way. The results were well worth it. The sound improved dramatically, and the power and torque improvement is instantly noticeable.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013
PONY Member

I think the long tubes are easier to install than the short tubes. From what i've read, on short tubes space is tight to get wrenches and sockets on because of the tubes going up. My long tubes ( also like randeez11 said ) were very easy to do myself, i'm disabled and at the time of install (two years ago) i was 58 years old.

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I just checked the price, long headers are about twice as expensive. That's a bummer.

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013
PONY Member

hardest part about the install is convincing my girl to do it for me so i can play games on my computer.

jesus she hits hard.

2013 Performance Pack, MCA, Leather Recaro's, NAV
Steeda Cold Air Intake | BBK Throttle Body | Steeda Shifter Bracket | Whiteline Transmission Mount | Magnaflow Street Catback Exhaust | Tuning Super Store Tuned on a Diablosport Intune i1000 | Eibach Sportline Springs | Koni Sport Dampers (Yellow) | Whiteline Lower Control Arms

Team Magnaflow | Team Road Race Motorsports
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013
PONY Member

The passenger side header is right up against the water line... Hard to get toe the front or rear two bolt without a swiveling (ball socket type)extension.... The driver side can be done in no time flat.

2011 "Cyclone" V6 Premium MT82 6sp "Michelle"
Factory 3.31 Ratio - 35% Tint- Bama 93 Hybrid Tune - FRPP Sport Exhaust - BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers- Air Raid CAI- TSW Nurburgring 19X8.5- Sumitomo HTR Z III 245/45-19
[email protected], Best Trap speed 103.50 before
[email protected], Best Trap speed 103.52 after headers
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013
PONY Member

I'd say figuring put what to do with the stock ones.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowstangguy View Post
The passenger side header is right up against the water line... Hard to get toe the front or rear two bolt without a swiveling (ball socket type)extension.... The driver side can be done in no time flat.
It was not that bad, take the 1 10mm bolt off and it moves out of the way.
The hardest part is breaking the mid pipe to exhaust manifold nuts loose, after that it is pretty easy, just takes time on the shorties to turn the nuts back on 1/3 of a turn at a time. 11 of the nuts can be reached from the top and one has to be tightened from the bottom.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013
GT Member

getting the stock manifolds off the stock x pipe.. that was a pain.. nothing is really hard. just time consuming. took me 7 hours on christmas day, this includes eating lunch and retuning it.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
Rookie

Im really tempted to go wth the shorties but I haven't seen any dyno numbers or any improvements really broadcast yet. I think suspension will come first.

Mustangs... I have had many... probably will have many more!
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtr View Post
Im really tempted to go wth the shorties but I haven't seen any dyno numbers or any improvements really broadcast yet. I think suspension will come first.
Give this some thought. The longtubes are very easy to install. Granted you will need a midpipe. ( I went with the high flow cats unit) I cant comment on improvements with the shorties, but I can tell you first hand that longtubes give a dramatic improvement in sound quality as well as a very noticeable torque increase. Before putting on the headers my car would barely break the tires loose from a dead stop ( mines an automatic with 3:31 gears) now it will lay a pretty good patch, if that what you want. And it definitely pulls much harder even in the lower 2500 to 3500 rpm range.
I know its a personal decision. Good luck.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
Give this some thought. The longtubes are very easy to install. Granted you will need a midpipe. ( I went with the high flow cats unit) I cant comment on improvements with the shorties, but I can tell you first hand that longtubes give a dramatic improvement in sound quality as well as a very noticeable torque increase. Before putting on the headers my car would barely break the tires loose from a dead stop ( mines an automatic with 3:31 gears) now it will lay a pretty good patch, if that what you want. And it definitely pulls much harder even in the lower 2500 to 3500 rpm range.
I know its a personal decision. Good luck.

Too bad I'm still under warranty or I would get the OR and get it tuned.

Site Sponsor

It's such a PITA on a GT / GT500, especially without a lift.

I imagine it's easier on a V6, more room to work with

Nick C.

HID and LED Lighting For Your Mustang
Visit diodedynamics.com To See Products!
(314) 205-3033
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtr View Post
Too bad I'm still under warranty or I would get the OR and get it tuned.
you can still get it tuned. just get a diablosport. it leaves absolutely zero footprint in the ecu when you flash back to stock. something people have tested hoping to call them out on it several times on svtp and bossmustangs

2013 Performance Pack, MCA, Leather Recaro's, NAV
Steeda Cold Air Intake | BBK Throttle Body | Steeda Shifter Bracket | Whiteline Transmission Mount | Magnaflow Street Catback Exhaust | Tuning Super Store Tuned on a Diablosport Intune i1000 | Eibach Sportline Springs | Koni Sport Dampers (Yellow) | Whiteline Lower Control Arms

Team Magnaflow | Team Road Race Motorsports
Rookie

Wow! Yeah that is cool.... I might check it out after I get everything fixed hahaha I would love long tubes and an or pipe

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page