2014 V6 Gear swap - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

2014 V6 Gear swap

ok, I'm Still a rookie at this but i want to do a gear swap on my V6. i have the stock 2.73s and i want to go to the 3.73s. i feel like that would be best for having fun haha anyway what all do i need to do this? the entire install kit on american muscle and a tune or just the gears? thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013
PONY Member

You'll need the tune + gears, that much I know.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013
Apprentice

tune, gears, install kit, and gear oil (which may come with the kit)

2011 V6 Kona Blue, MT, 3.55's, airaid cai, 93R tune, BBK shorty headers, 2.5" exhaust, GT axle-backs, BMR rear LCAs, pony package, comfort package

Last edited by konatown; 11-11-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: spelling

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok thanks, thats what I was thinking because why else would they have a kit. But with the tune, could I have a dealership do it, or a bama tune?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013
Apprentice

Don't think the dealership can retune to 3.73's since the V6 didn't originally come with it from the factory. I did the 2.73 to 3.73 swap last week with a BAMA tune, well worth it.

Wife = 2012 Mustang V6 Premium Grabber Blue BBK CAI, BBK LT w/ HFC, Borla ATAK, MPT Tune, DSS Driveshaft, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BMR LCA's | Best = 13.5 @ 105
Husband = 2010 Camaro V6 Synergy Green Edition IPF Supercharger Best = 12.5 @ 111
Closest finish @ the line = Wife by 0.0028 seconds (4.79 inches)

Also own a 2014 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo Package, 401A, Comfort Package, Shaker Pro System, Pedestal Spoiler
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013
Apprentice

How much better is acceleration 0-60 with the 3.73? Do you chirp the tires on take off?

2013 3.7 mustang auto.
Mods: magnaflow catback- 20% tint- roush upper grille- AM billet lower grill- gt500 rear spoiler-jlt oil seperator- boss 302 strut tower brace- SVE drift wheels 19x9.5 on nitto nt555 275/35/19- 3.73's- ebay paddle shifters
》MPT tuned 93race《
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013
PONY Member

You can easily get sub 5 second 0-60 with 3.73 gears. Supporting mods like LCAs and tires can get you even lower times.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by <3_3.7 View Post
You can easily get sub 5 second 0-60 with 3.73 gears. Supporting mods like LCAs and tires can get you even lower times.
Thats what I like, quick burst of speed after a red light or a turn . Was real close to trading in for a 5.0 but now decided to save all that money and use it to mod by sixxer.

2013 3.7 mustang auto.
Mods: magnaflow catback- 20% tint- roush upper grille- AM billet lower grill- gt500 rear spoiler-jlt oil seperator- boss 302 strut tower brace- SVE drift wheels 19x9.5 on nitto nt555 275/35/19- 3.73's- ebay paddle shifters
》MPT tuned 93race《
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013
PONY Member

You won't be disappointed.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

If you get the install kit from AM, make sure you add the "2010+ Bearing" from the drop down menu.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerw225 View Post
ok, I'm Still a rookie at this but i want to do a gear swap on my V6. i have the stock 2.73s and i want to go to the 3.73s. i feel like that would be best for having fun haha anyway what all do i need to do this? the entire install kit on american muscle and a tune or just the gears? thanks
You're going to love a set of 3.73 gears! That's going to be a huge jump over your factory 2.73's. You'll notice huge gains in acceleration and torque!

You're going to need the Gear kit, Installation kit, Gear oil and a Tunet to complete this job. You could attempt to get away without doing the installation kit, however while you have the rear open I'd recommend replacing all the bearings/gaskets etc..

I hope this helps! Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future. You can also give my CS team a call if you need some assistance, they can be reached at the contact information in my signature!

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
You're going to love a set of 3.73 gears! That's going to be a huge jump over your factory 2.73's. You'll notice huge gains in acceleration and torque!

You're going to need the Gear kit, Installation kit, Gear oil and a Tunet to complete this job. You could attempt to get away without doing the installation kit, however while you have the rear open I'd recommend replacing all the bearings/gaskets etc..

I hope this helps! Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future. You can also give my CS team a call if you need some assistance, they can be reached at the contact information in my signature!

-Dan
Thanks! thats exactly what i looking for, more acceleration and torque. im trying to figure out and do more research about my warranty. i dont want to void it, which is why i want to get ford racing gears, and why i ask if a dealer would be able to give me a tune. im going to a dealer in Cincinnati this week so im going to ask, unless anyone works for ford. and with that said there is no way i am doing this myself, so how much will installation run me?
PONY Member

Quote:
Thanks! thats exactly what i looking for, more acceleration and torque. im trying to figure out and do more research about my warranty. i dont want to void it, which is why i want to get ford racing gears, and why i ask if a dealer would be able to give me a tune. im going to a dealer in Cincinnati this week so im going to ask, unless anyone works for ford. and with that said there is no way i am doing this myself, so how much will installation run me?
The available gear options that came from the factory are 2.73 and 3.31 for the V6. They won't be able to adjust the speedo to 3.73s for you. Call around to some well known speed shops in your area. Probably between 300-500$ for labor would be a fair price. If you have someone else do the swap and your rear end explodes (most likely will not happen, Ford will definitely not warranty your rear end.) The aftermarket component has to be the direct cause of the failure for Ford not to warrant your claim (in most cases, lots of shady dealerships out there). Most dealerships won't honor a warranty claim unless they performed the work, even if they are Ford racing parts. They'll toss it right back on the original installers.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

I strongly recommend adding a small bottle of friction modifier to the rear with the gear lube, it helps keep the gears operating quietly, well worth it. Normally I would say check the bearings, seals, etc, but on such a new car it's likely not an issue.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
BOSS Member

Quote:
Awesome! You're going to love a set of 3.73's then.

Give a few local dealerships a call and see what they can do for you. The only way to correct your speedometer is going to be a tune!

Some service writers understand that a tune isn't going to cause any harm to your vehicle and won't give you any trouble with your warranty. I don't recommend attempting to "hide" tuning the car from your dealership though, that never works out well!

Let us know how you make out!

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page