Battery Connector Corrosion - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Battery Connector Corrosion

So...I've neglected to check underneath that red rubber cover on the positive terminal on the battery since I've had the car (Oct. 2010).

I finally needed to change the battery and this is what I found...

That is what it looked like AFTER I cleaned it up. Before, it was completely covered in gooey blue crystals.

Half of the connection was already eaten away. Taking it off the terminal snapped what was remaining right off the cable aggregator thing.

After finding out that Ford only sells the part as a $200 complete positive cable set...

Behold! Positive Battery Terminal Mark I!

Used copper wire, wrapped around one of the screwed-down connections on the plate, wrap around the terminal, wrap back around the plate connection again, wrap around the terminal again. Slap a hose clamp on the terminal.

Not sure how permanent this is...or can be. Planning to check it once in a while to see how it's doing.

2011 Mustang V6 MCA PP Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013
Rookie

Um...... go to autozone and buy a real terminal for 7 dollars. Current setup is a failure waiting to happen.

click here

2014 DIB Premium 3.7L MT82 Pony Package
MPT 91 Tune, BBK Chrome Longtubes, BBK Offroad X pipe, 14" Vibrant Resonators, Airaid CAI, Shelby Short Throw Shifter, 3.73 FRPP
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Damn, looks like I didn't Internet hard enough. Thanks for that.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc321 View Post
Um...... go to autozone and buy a real terminal for 7 dollars. Current setup is a failure waiting to happen.

click here
^^^I agree, & while you are there, pick up a pack of those green & red felt washers that go on the battery posts under the connectors. They help keep corrosion at bay. Also, if you start getting corrosion on a battery terminal, just pour some soda like 7UP or ginger ale on it & it will come right off.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Oh cool, didn't know 7UP works too. Buddy told me to use baking soda. There's still a good amount of corrosion caked into the connector so I'll try that. Thanks!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonFyre View Post
Oh cool, didn't know 7UP works too. Buddy told me to use baking soda. There's still a good amount of corrosion caked into the connector so I'll try that. Thanks!
Yes it works. If you have some stubborn residue, just use a mall bristle brush with the soda, also- baking soda does work, but, 7UP is pretty strong stuff. If I remember correctly from my school days (wayyy back when), they used to put a nail in a bottle of that stuff & it would eat it over a period of time. I wonder what it does to your stomach?

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonFyre View Post
Damn, looks like I didn't Internet hard enough. Thanks for that.
LOL If you need help with anything electrical, hit me up. I am an aircraft electrician by trade, but I love wrenching on cars. Sorry if I came off rude...

2014 DIB Premium 3.7L MT82 Pony Package
MPT 91 Tune, BBK Chrome Longtubes, BBK Offroad X pipe, 14" Vibrant Resonators, Airaid CAI, Shelby Short Throw Shifter, 3.73 FRPP
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013
PONY Member

Personally I wouldn't pour soda into my engine bay. I use Windex. The ammonia counteracts the acid so it's inert and won't eat into your other stuff. It also makes less of a mess.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

+1 baking soda vote....old school enough I cover the terminals in a bit of grease it seals out the air and seems to eliminate corrosion. Yeah the parts store connectors for cheap compared to $200!

I did like the jury rig but fix it................

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Baking soda works, so does coca cola actually, it does a very good job cleaning terminals. As Ken said get the felt washers, and/or some terminal treatment. It comes in a small spray can and is like a heavy paint, works well to keep the terminals clean for a long time.

Seems like a lot of corrosion for a car not very old, how does everything else under the hood look?

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
Apprentice

Found the same thing on our 2011 V6 last week. Battery was starting to go(3 1/2 years and 12k miles), so bought a replacement and found the corroded terminal. Cleaned it up, put in the new battery, good to go. Also added the felt terminal rings and protective lube.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin366 View Post
Baking soda works, so does coca cola actually, it does a very good job cleaning terminals. As Ken said get the felt washers, and/or some terminal treatment. It comes in a small spray can and is like a heavy paint, works well to keep the terminals clean for a long time.

Seems like a lot of corrosion for a car not very old, how does everything else under the hood look?
I couldn't find any other signs of corrosion/rust. I'm in southern California, so this kind of stuff isn't typically a huge problem. I was pretty surprised when I saw it...I've never seen it so bad on my previous cars.

The only thing I can think of is since the battery is near the back edge of the hood, water got in during a rainstorm or car wash and just sat there inside the rubber cover. Oh...and maybe not bothering to check it for 3 years.

In any case, I think these epoxy-coated terminals and this spray you mentioned are in my near future.

I gotta say though, I'm pretty proud of my DIY terminal...but yea, I know the slightest bit of corrosion is going to destroy it immediately. And I really don't want to deal with that again...that stuff was just SO NASTY.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
battery , broken , connector , corrosion , terminal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page