Leaky drain plug. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Leaky drain plug.

Anybody on here have a problem with a leaky drain plug. Our 2011 V6 seems to have developed a bit of seepage from the drain plug. I do the oil changes myself since the car was new, and only noticed a problem developing this year. Today I did the oil change and inspected the rubber gasket on the plug, looked to be in good shape. Went to autozone to see if they had a replacement just in case, all they had were nylon gaskets. I left the factory rubber gasket in place and added the nylon gasket in hopes of getting a leak free seal. Will check on it in a couple of days, next step will be to order an new plug/gasket from ford.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013
PONY Member

I bet with 2 gaskets it leaks worse

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Maybe a crack in the aluminum pan.

Super important to not over-tighten the plug, repeated over-tightening in the aluminum can cause cracks or pull the threads.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Maybe a crack in the aluminum pan.

Super important to not over-tighten the plug, repeated over-tightening in the aluminum can cause cracks or pull the threads.

I finally installed a fumoto valve recently so I wouldn't have to keeping taking the plug off and to facilitate easy oil changes.

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangted1963 View Post
i bet with 2 gaskets it leaks worse

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

So far, so good..... Plan on getting the Fumoto valve for the next oil change.

Last edited by golkhl; 11-15-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spelling error
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013
MACH I Member

Care must be used when tightening the drain plug, its fairly easy to strip the aluminum threads on the pan. I'd use a torque wrench (19 lb-ft).

I also went with fullmoto F107s w/tubing.

Search results :: Qwik Valve

http://www.qwikvalve.com/

An easy drain into my recycle container & which minimizes splatter.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013
PONY Member

Don't those oil drain valves slow down the oil flow and make metal particles less likely to come out?

Plus, I am worried that bulky valve will be more likely to run into some objects underneath the car and get knocked off.

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013
MACH I Member

The drain plug screws into the side of the pan, so nothing protrudes below the pan itself. The oil flows good, and I take my time with the drain.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv4spd View Post
Don't those oil drain valves slow down the oil flow and make metal particles less likely to come out?

Plus, I am worried that bulky valve will be more likely to run into some objects underneath the car and get knocked off.
If there are metal particles they should stay in the filter and should not have to worry about that draining out the drain plug

2012 PP V6 6MT. Lava red interior, tails and corner lights blacked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page