Rental return 2012, great deal, any thoughts? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

While not a mustang, my other car (2012 VW Golf) was an ex-rental. I bought it for about half the price of a new car and had about 40k on the clock. I got it with CPO and an extended warranty until 120k. It had one scratch on it and was in near mint condition. It was like I practically got a new car for half the price. Now with the mustangs, people could rent them out just to burn rubber and therefore is a type of car that is likely to get abused more often.

If it is not CPO, I would have a dealer or mechanic inspect it. I bought a used mustang and took it to the dealers and paid $80 to inspect it (or you can take it to a local mechanic for cheaper but I wanted ford) and everything was mint. I saved almost half of the price vs new car. Try to get the service records of the car, rentals usually take good care of their cars.

I would say go for it if everything checks out with the mechanic!

Edit to give you some price figures (Canadian):
2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.5 Base with Heated Seats- 40k odo (CPO w/ Extended Warranty)- MSRP: 25-30k, Got it for: 16k
2011 Ford Mustang Premium (options in sig)-58k odo (Non CPO/Factory Warranty)- MSRP: 30-34k, Got it for: 18k

2011 V6 6MT, Kona Blue, Premium, heated Saddle leather, 3.31, HID
***Procharged***
Mods: AIRAID CAI, Bama, Magnaflow Street CB, BBK S. Headers, BBK Catted X-Pipe, BBK 73TB, Strut Tower Brace, SR Springs 1.5, Koni STR.T Shocks/Struts, Bumpsteer Kit, Panhard Bar, LCAs, PowerStop Brake Kit, Black MGP Caliper Covers, GT500 Rear Diffuser, Roush Side Splitters, Stillen Front Chin, 30% Tint, LEDs, Black Super Snake Stripes, Polk/Alpine, Audio Control LC7i, RF 10" Sub, 19" Staggered AMRs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin366 View Post
I honestly can't recommend buying a former rental car at almost any price. At best they are neglected and worst they get beat on with no mercy. Or so I have heard.
i see where you are coming from but i dont understand how you could beat the hell out of it and the rental car place not know or see or feel that some thing is wrong with it. I also dont think people who rented it drive it like i do. Im sure 80% of the people at least were mature non car people would needed it for business or to get around, not some kids doing burnouts. But then again even if they sat there and did burnouts and floored it everywhere, so do I and my car is problem free up to 60,XXX. I think its more of a mental thing that an actual problem with the car. Its a mustang, they are meant to ride hard.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
PONY Member

Be sure it's still under warranty and then buy the EXTENDED WARRANTY!!!!!

SHELBY GT 350 Member

and I'm gonna guess the majority of renters don't beat on it...of course you are gonna "see what it does" 1 or 2x but I would worry more about neglect from the rental agency. You have to be 25 to rent most of the time and while some people are #[email protected]*^'s the majority just need a car.

key word is guess

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Sav
Apprentice

Personally, I wouldn't go for a previous rental or even lease return for that matter, at least when it comes to performance cars or cars of similar caliber. Just knowing what my own car goes through, with my spirited driving, all the warranty issues I've had, and everything else, I wouldn't even buy my own car after the fact (lease). Cars on dealer lots with a few hundred miles get thrashed from time to time, let alone a car with 20,000+ on the odometer put on by many different drives. That said, these cars are built to/should be built to take some kind of abuse from time to time given their performance nature, so if it has all the maintenance records, checks out during an inspection, and you're getting a killer discount, I would go for it if you're opposed to leasing new.

2012 Mustang V6 Premium Coupe MCA - Performance White/Charcoal Black
Rookie

I will say my 2012 mustang is an ex-rental i have had it for about two months now and i have not had a single issue at all. I actually go the ex-rental at a local ford dealer. I had the car checked out before i purchased it and it was perfect. The car had about 32,xxx i am now about 33,xxx. I will say this car is a very big change from what i traded in. I use to drive a 2008 Nissan Titan. I love this car and i believe that all of my future cars will be a mustang. So as far as you looking at getting an ex-rental have it checked over and if it gets the pass then get it. I also got my mustang for about 16,8k.
Apprentice

I've said it numerous times on this forum, but used/previous rental cars provide a potential huge value. The idea that you should not even consider purchasing one is ludicrous.
I purchased my 2011 V6 Premium Convertible in October 2011 with 24k miles on it. It was a former rental fleet car, was sold as CPO and included a Ford ESP warranty to 100k and was right at $20,000. This car had an original sticker price of $33,480. Other than the tick (which was fixed), an airbag sensor and a vert latch (both covered under warranty) I have had zero issues with the car. I do have a small clunk sometimes from the rear end that I'm trying to get resolved. The car looked almost brand new. The interior was spotless. There was one tiny door ding and a small scratch on the front bumper. I will trade that for $13,000 any day. We actually flew to Milwaukee from St. Louis to pick up the car and drive it home. Still saved money over a comparable local used car.
That being said, I would definitely have the car inspected or go through the Ford CPO process. If all checks out, no reason not to purchase it if it meets the value you need.

2011 V6 Convertible, Premium, Red Candy, White side stripes, Pony badges on fenders, auto headlights, lower fogs coming soon.
GT Member

All true the only other consideration is that it shows up on Carfax as "fleet" or something like that so would probably reduce resale down the road.

That being said if $ is prime consideration ex-rentals are good savings up front.

And if you are considering used even people who love thier cars and maintain them could still beat on them occasionally....I'm not sure if I would buy a used Mustange from myself!

Now: 2016 Mustang GT Fastback-Magnetic Metallic, Ford Racing Touring axle-backs, Ford Racing front strut and k-brace, K&N CAI, sound tube delete, 1975 Corvette Coupe-L48, 4-speed

Past Lives: 2001 Corvette Z51 Coupe, 2012 Mustang Grabber Blue Coupe, 2008 Mustang Torch Red Vert, 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, 1985 Nissan 300ZX, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1972 Fiat 124 Vert, 1971 Chevelle, 1970 Challenger
Apprentice

Everyone thinks I am driving around in a 30k mustang and I paid 18.5k for it. I would say they are worth the look.

2013 Grabber Blue Premium Couple, Auto, FRPP N Springs, FRPP Dampeners, Lund Tune
Rookie

We picked up our 2012 vert from Enterprise a year ago for much less than what was available around here at the time. The car was really well maintained and in great condition. The only issue was a leaking water pump 2 months ago that was fixed under the factory warranty. Based on our experience I would take this route again and save the cash. We also have a lease return SUV that has been great over the last year with no problems, that is ignoring the chewing pack rat issue

Like has been said by others, it is a great way to save money and still get a great car.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium MT Coupe, Flowmaster Outlaw Axleback, Hurst Shifter, 3.55 C&L intake, Raxiom GPS/Backup camera
Previous toys;
2012 Silver Base V-6, AT, Conv. FRPP Sports axle back
2002 Black, GT, AT, Conv. K&N, Flowmaster 40s
1988 Grey, GT, MT, Conv. K&N, 3.55
1967 Blue Coupe, 5.0 and T-5, Flowmaster 40s and too many int., ext. & mods to list.
1968 Blue Coupe, 289, 3sp MT
PONY Member

i"ll take my 2014 base with tech and sync for 18,814 plus TTL with 3.2 miles on it and I burned the motor in on test drive any day. I don't need gadgets. First time I've got a new car with inspection and plates same month as it sit on the lot a whole 10 days. Janie at autonation Katy is great like others have said, no BS

2014 Black 3.7 6M. 20 inch black bullets, Pypes Axle back, matte black super snake stripes, next up JLT intake.
2011 Mustang 5.0 Race Red. gone and was sick
2011 Mustang 3.7, gone sold 3 times since, that I know of.
Apprentice

Garage
I wouldn't do just think about the people that may of rented the car just to run it hard!
Apprentice

As long as it is under warranty then I guess it would be fine... I highly advise against purchasing ex-rental cars however. Not everyone beats on rental cars, that is true, however people pay extra to get Mustangs instead of cheap Sparks or Fiestas for a reason. One can argue most rentals are not beat on because most rentals are economy cars or sedans. Sports cars are rented because they are sports cars and are [usually] fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page