Rental return 2012, great deal, any thoughts? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Rental return 2012, great deal, any thoughts?

For several years I have been enjoying Mustang rentals from Hertz. Now I'm beginning to see these 2012 cars come up for sale. Beautiful cars, 25 to 35 k, all with warranty and some with Ford certification. These cars are stupidly cheap, some for $5000.00 less that comparable sales. Would you believe $15200.00 for a v6 premium with pony pkg? I've looked at several and they all drive great. Does anyone have experience with these. What should I look for?
The ONLY drawback I have seen is distressed clear coat from repeated runs through automatic car wash brushes. Has anyone tried to buff/polish them out? I'm ready to buy one, any thoughts? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Well the only thing I would be leery of buying a rental is the fact that they may have only had one owner, they have had many,many different drivers & not many of them were kind to the cars.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Talking

My wife and I did that years ago when we really wanted a new car without the new car prices. There used to be a Hertz dealer up in the Raliegh NC area where they would take the cars they retired out of their rental fleet to sell.

We bought a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am in 1999, the only drawback was that it had over 20k miles on it already. It was a really nice V6 model, 4 door and all the extras-something one usually doesn't find in rental cars these days. It came with full maintenance records and we were able to find out it had spent its rental life based out of Orlando International Airport-a Disney World car.

Although I personally didn't like the car itself (really only because I could never get a comfortable seating position in it) it really was a nice car for its time. We kept it until 2004 when we traded it in for our new F150 with 77k trouble free miles on it.

All in all it was a really great deal for young parents that were on a tight budget.

I hafta admit I'd be a little more wary of picking up a Mustang in that manner only because of the fact many people rented them just to thrash them to see what they could do before going down to the dealership so that they didn't have to take that short test drive with a salesman riding along. I would be going over the maintenance records with a fine toothed comb. But I am sure there are some great deals to be had out there. Good luck to you OP!

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013
PONY Member

No way in hell I'd buy a rental. You can bet they're abused
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013
GT Member

I have a ex rental car. My cars about 80% repainted due to key marks and dents that happened after the fact. Ive replaced alot of suspension parts and full exhaust. Ive ha them take the cams out to do the fix on the ticking sound. They said it looked great in there. Transmission shift perfectly fine. Im happy with my ex rental car that i got for under 20k

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013
GT Member

Just check on that warranty, don't think the factory warranty applies once it was used as a "fleet" car.

If truly a lot less than a similar resale (remember not what people are asking what they are getting) then should be fine. Even if abused as a rental car they do maintain them like clockwork and new cars can take it! Not every rental driver abuses cars.

Now: 2016 Mustang GT Fastback-Magnetic Metallic, Ford Racing Touring axle-backs, Ford Racing front strut and k-brace, K&N CAI, sound tube delete, 1975 Corvette Coupe-L48, 4-speed

Past Lives: 2001 Corvette Z51 Coupe, 2012 Mustang Grabber Blue Coupe, 2008 Mustang Torch Red Vert, 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, 1985 Nissan 300ZX, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1972 Fiat 124 Vert, 1971 Chevelle, 1970 Challenger
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoTheKing View Post
No way in hell I'd buy a rental. You can bet they're abused
Add my name to this list ! If someone gave me a rental car. It would be up for sale the same day.
Again, that's just me. I in no way intend to speak for anyone else.
Same goes for any used Mustang with a manual transmission.I would never buy one. I mean its very doubtful that an old lady had it to drive to church with. Don't think rentals go to church much either lol.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013
PONY Member
S197 Member

Rentals are a lot better kept than 95 % of the cars out there owned by non enthusiast. The maintenance records are extensive and fluids are always checked. As with any car have it checked by an an independent inspector. Also you can run the vin through ford for any major repairs. If you find a nice well optioned car dont hesitate to buy one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
Add my name to this list ! If someone gave me a rental car. It would be up for sale the same day.
Again, that's just me. I in no way intend to speak for anyone else.
Same goes for any used Mustang with a manual transmission.I would never buy one. I mean its very doubtful that an old lady had it to drive to church with. Don't think rentals go to church much either lol.

My old lady drives it to church.....and the store......and to get her hair done......and to work.....and to....oh never mind you made your point, LOLOL

And she's really not that old, anyway

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
Rookie

just get an independent inspection from someone who knows mustangs. and that warranty is key.

that said, as a frequent renter of cars, i can safely say you would NOT want to purchase any car i have rented.

11 v6 auto. black.black bbk longtubes/xpipe, magnaflow gt competition exhaust, sct93 tune, Eibach Pro kit, GT break upgrade.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

and my .02 the V6 automatics are reliable cars and while it may have been beat on for part of it's life pretty much the majority of us get on it once in a while. The savings over a new car of that trim level is huge. I will throw out an alternative that you didn't ask for but agin it my .02.....if you don't want the premium you can get a new V6 base model for $22k (or less) + TTL after rebates then any abuse will only be your fault. This is from someone who dislikes the bells and whistles in a car.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Apprentice

As long as you get a car fax for it, know how to get up underneath it and check for damage, and know what these cars are supposed to drive like when all sorted properly then buying an ex rental car should not be problem. Especially if it has less than 36k miles on it and still has the warranty because of that. I bought my car from a lot down here in S. Florida called Off Lease Only. They had multiple 11-13 v6 mustangs in both convertible and hardtop. They also offered free carfax with all of them on their site.

I was lucky enough to show up on a day when they had just gotten in a grabber blue rental that had the premium interior package / pony package. The car only had 4k miles on it, and was listed on the car fax as a rental. It said damage rt rear. The body work was perfect, looked show room new. Got up underneath it and the unibody was fine. The end of the story is that I got a 13 v6 premium with black leather, blue tooth, my sync and ect. for 18,500 no negotiation. The car stickered for 10k more than that and still smelled new on the inside.

Have had zero problems with it. These modern cars are over engineered. So even if every a hole that drives it stomps the pedal to the floor over and over, all that does it break it in properly.

2013 Grabber Blue Premium Couple, Auto, FRPP N Springs, FRPP Dampeners, Lund Tune
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

I honestly can't recommend buying a former rental car at almost any price. At best they are neglected and worst they get beat on with no mercy. Or so I have heard.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

OP Thanks you

I asked the same question in the Mustang Forum, didnt know it would show up in both places.
Apprentice

Garage
I was in your same shoes 2 years ago. Was looking at a Hertz Rent-to-Buy 2011 Prem v6 Auto 30k miles for $18k before taxes. I was expecting it to be a decent driver but it drove real good, took it to a mechanic to dig for problems and even he was surprised at the upkeep and drive for a 30k mile car. He said all was good but he would not buy it due to the 1 year or less warranty. I was still going to get it but chanced upon a 2012 Prem v6 Auto with 20k miles as a rental for $19k before taxes from a dealership with the 3 year Ford warranty. I was all in, drove the Hertz 2011 v6 to the dealership and test drove the similar colored performance white 2012 v6. Looked the same, felt the same only difference was newer year, 10k less miles and the additional 2 years of warranty. This car was the absolute love of my life and is definitely one of the best decisions I have made. 6 months later and I was in a brand spanking new Black 2013 v6 Performance Packaged MT, heated seats with the acessories I wanted - in all honesty this car makes me a better person everytime I get into it. I have 10k miles on her and do not punch it much as as on the rental one. The rental was already broken into and consistantly giving 25-30mpg from the get-go, had to wait 7 or 8 months till I saw the same on the new car and now for some reason 24mpg is the new high but that is for another post. As phenomenal as the new car is the rental was great for the money and was broken into and ready to play out the door. From my experience with the 2 rentals I believe that the Mustang unlike most other cars has more tolerance to bad driving than most other cars and you will not go wrong if you cover your bases by checking maintenance records, accident records and have the 3 year warranty. I think around 15k miles used would be ideal but at $15k with 25k miles that seems like a sweet deal for a rental. I do not remember the distressed clear coat but I do remember taking extra pains to get her shining like new. I was offered 16k trade in value but showed them the before and now pictures and guaranteed the car would sell in 2 weeks if they gave me $18k. The car sold in 3 days and I still have mixed feelings about letting her go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page