BBK Long tube headers, O/R X pipe installed - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

BBK Long tube headers, O/R X pipe installed

Yesterday morning I installed a set of BBK long tubes accompanied by the BBK shorty off road x pipe that I found locally on craigslist for a great price. I have done a bunch of research and expected to get some raspiness from the setup, but holy cow. I am almost embarrassed to drive the car like this. I am heading down to the local muffler shop to have some resonators welded into the X pipe in the morning. I plan on taking before/after videos of the exhaust note so that we can have factual data in regards to curing the rasp, and what parts do and do not have an effect. I do not plan on purchasing the catted X-pipe until I have to smog the car in 2 years. Just a note, I still have the stock axlebacks installed, but will probably be picking up a set of GT500 axlebacks as I have located a pair for sale locally for $40.

2014 DIB Premium 3.7L MT82 Pony Package
MPT 91 Tune, BBK Chrome Longtubes, BBK Offroad X pipe, 14" Vibrant Resonators, Airaid CAI, Shelby Short Throw Shifter, 3.73 FRPP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013
Apprentice

I put BBK longtube headers and off road X pipe with Borla Atak axle back on mine and it is VERY loud and raspy so I know exactly how you feel, I won't be able to put the resonators on mine until after Christmas.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013
PONY Member

resonators wont kill rasp.

its like this...

resonators kill drone

muffled x pipe kills rasp

look into the magnaflow tru-x muffler 2 in 2 out dynomax has one too, we were talking about it the other day.

but yeah, the magic formula solo performance has been using to get their sweet sounding exhausts is x muffler's coupled with j-pipes (another way to kill drone).

good luck

2013 Performance Pack, MCA, Leather Recaro's, NAV
Steeda Cold Air Intake | BBK Throttle Body | Steeda Shifter Bracket | Whiteline Transmission Mount | Magnaflow Street Catback Exhaust | Tuning Super Store Tuned on a Diablosport Intune i1000 | Eibach Sportline Springs | Koni Sport Dampers (Yellow) | Whiteline Lower Control Arms

Team Magnaflow | Team Road Race Motorsports

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

I asked the shop about the x muffler and they didn't stock any. I actually had to argue with them to install the resonators because the guy was insisting the rasp was being caused by the stock axle backs. We all know that is not the case. Anyhow, I got the resonators on in the midpipe and the rasp is 90% gone. Im pleased with the results. Maybe I'll order the x muffler and have that put in as well. I'll take a video as soon as it quits pouring rain.

MPT 91 Tune, BBK Chrome Longtubes, BBK Offroad X pipe, 14" Vibrant Resonators, Airaid CAI, Shelby Short Throw Shifter, 3.73 FRPP
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I have BBK longtubes and catted X pipe. Mufflers are Ford Racing sport axlebacks. It was very loud . I installed a pair of GT resonators that I had sitting around, and it toned it down to acceptable levels. But there is still rasp in the 3500 rpm range. And you are not going to get rid of it. This is a 6 cylinder.But the sound at idle, and during cruising speeds, is as good as it gets IMO.
And the added mid range torque, was definitely worth the effort.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013
Apprentice

Chris I look forward to hearing/seeing your video

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus'A 6 View Post
Chris I look forward to hearing/seeing your video

Thanks! It's probably going to be tomorrow because it's still raining pretty hard here. On a more positive and unrelated note, I just scored a Shelby short throw shifter and bracket for 150 on craigslist. Actually bought from a Shelby employee apparently this particular shifter was used in R&D.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013
PONY Member

I went with the BBK catted xpipe. I have my 02 sensors turned off but use the catts as resonators. Waiting for your video

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hopefully it will quit raining today. I've been in Vegas for over 20 years and can't recall it raining for over 36 hours straight ever before.

Apprentice

Any install tips/tricks you can pass along? I am going to be installing the BBK shorty headers soon, and want to be well prepared. I too am in Vegas and this rain has been crazy!
Apprentice

I put the longtube headers on mine, so I can't give you much help but I hear the shortys are harder to install. Good luck with it I can only say use fender covers....

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golkhl View Post
Any install tips/tricks you can pass along? I am going to be installing the BBK shorty headers soon, and want to be well prepared. I too am in Vegas and this rain has been crazy!
Cool man. I've never put on the shortys so I'm not much help. If you need a hand hit me up though. I can bend a wrench ok.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Just letting you guys know I haven't forgotten about posting the video... Its just keeps raining and raining here.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc321 View Post
Just letting you guys know I haven't forgotten about posting the video... Its just keeps raining and raining here.
You need to tell that rain to go away.... LOL

Apprentice

Man is it still raining...... LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page