need help with v6 mods - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

need help with v6 mods

I have 2014 mustang v6 roush manual and i was thinking about getting and airaid intake and a bama tune. Does it make a big difference or suggest a different intake or tune?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
Welcome!I moved your thread here for better results.

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013
Rookie

I don't think it matters all that much. Personally I prefer Steeda's CAI and tune.

My DD: 2013 V6 Auto (Pony Pkg 202A) Performance White, Comfort & Security Pkg
Future Mods: Steeda Tune & CAI, GT500 Quad Exhaust, Stalker Hood, (still debating which spoiler)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
I don't think it matters all that much. Personally I prefer Steeda's CAI and tune.
How can you prefer a certain cai and tune if you're not even running a CAI and tune?

OP, I have the airaid CAI and an MPT tune. I'm pretty sure the consensus is that MPT is the MPT performance tune delivers the greatest gains. Not trying to speak for everyone but that's just my impression from doing lots and lots of reading.

2014 DIB Premium 3.7L MT82 Pony Package
MPT 91 Tune, BBK Chrome Longtubes, BBK Offroad X pipe, 14" Vibrant Resonators, Airaid CAI, Shelby Short Throw Shifter, 3.73 FRPP
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc321 View Post
How can you prefer a certain cai and tune if you're not even running a CAI and tune?

OP, I have the airaid CAI and an MPT tune. I'm pretty sure the consensus is that MPT is the MPT performance tune delivers the greatest gains. Not trying to speak for everyone but that's just my impression from doing lots and lots of reading.
I Started out myself with just a BBK CAI and it did nothing for power. Maybe a little more throttle response and it did make it louder. After I purchased an SCT X3 tuner with the hybrid, Street and Race tune from american muscle which were better than stock but nothing that WOW'd me! After reading all the posts regarding the MPT tune i decided that $75.00 would be worth a try and am I glad i didnt settle. I could barly chirp my tires before and now I have no issue doing a burnout well past 80km/h!!! (BTW I am running the stock 2.73 rear gear and haven't started data logging with MPT just yet)

For $75 its worth a try after what I personally have experienced!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc321 View Post
I worked with a buddy of mine on his mustang as well as his dad's. We had a Bama/Airaid combo at first on his dad's 2010 GT and ended up having some issues, which I know is probably not common by any means. He ended up getting too frustrated and decided to get rid of both and go with the Steeda CAI and tune and hasn't had any issues since. My buddy's 2012 V6 hasn't had any issues either, so I'm personally partial to the Steeda CAI/tune combo.

Now that was the only issue his dad has ever had with AM, and he still buys parts from them, it was just that one time.

My DD: 2013 V6 Auto (Pony Pkg 202A) Performance White, Comfort & Security Pkg
Future Mods: Steeda Tune & CAI, GT500 Quad Exhaust, Stalker Hood, (still debating which spoiler)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013
Apprentice

Not that I have anything to compare to (besides stock) but I'm very happy with my K&N/Bama combo.

--
Steve
2011 3.7 Convertible, K&N Typhoon CAI, Bama SCT Tune
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013
PONY Member

I love all my mods, but have to say that my MPT tune is one of my favorites.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

OP the first mods on my 2012 V6 automatic were an Airraid CAI and Bama tune. The tune did make a noticeable difference in throttle response and top end power. The tune also firmed up the shifts quite a bit.
I ran the 91 race tune. The CAI made a slight difference in sound coming from the engine compartment on acceleration. I don't know how much it actually contributed to the gains.
All in all the tune/ CAI are a worthwhile addition. But just keep your expectations realistic. A tune and CAI, are not going to turn a V6 into a GT.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
PONY Member

ok intakes from anyone do VERY LITTLE for making power. theyre mostly a noisemaker.

a glorious noisemaker that makes your exhaust sound amazing. but a noisemaker nonetheless.

on these v6's tune is the biggest gain.

since you have a 2014 and warranty is a concern, i'd only go with a diablosport tuner as they are the only tuners that dont leave a footprint or time stamp i the ecu after you flash back to stock if you need to take i to the dealership for service.

id go with c&l tuning for your tunes over bama. doug studdard does all their tunes. he founded bamachips (bama performance) and was their best tuner before moving back to alabama and taking a job with c&l.

you can also buy just one tune there rather than 3 an get tunes for life on it. for 75 (beats 150). they also make a pretty good intake.

im running an afe power intake, best airbox of any ive seen. super thick, super beefy, looks amazing.

2013 Performance Pack, MCA, Leather Recaro's, NAV
Steeda Cold Air Intake | BBK Throttle Body | Steeda Shifter Bracket | Whiteline Transmission Mount | Magnaflow Street Catback Exhaust | Tuning Super Store Tuned on a Diablosport Intune i1000 | Eibach Sportline Springs | Koni Sport Dampers (Yellow) | Whiteline Lower Control Arms

Team Magnaflow | Team Road Race Motorsports
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebrix View Post
ok intakes from anyone do VERY LITTLE for making power. theyre mostly a noisemaker.

a glorious noisemaker that makes your exhaust sound amazing. but a noisemaker nonetheless.

on these v6's tune is the biggest gain.

since you have a 2014 and warranty is a concern, i'd only go with a diablosport tuner as they are the only tuners that dont leave a footprint or time stamp i the ecu after you flash back to stock if you need to take i to the dealership for service.

id go with c&l tuning for your tunes over bama. doug studdard does all their tunes. he founded bamachips (bama performance) and was their best tuner before moving back to alabama and taking a job with c&l.

you can also buy just one tune there rather than 3 an get tunes for life on it. for 75 (beats 150). they also make a pretty good intake.

im running an afe power intake, best airbox of any ive seen. super thick, super beefy, looks amazing.
This has been visited so many times....here is the video of comparisons. 2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 - Cold Air Intake & Bama Custom Tune Dyno Results - YouTube You will get the most out of the CAI with a tune. Just a CAI is power up top vs power throughout the band with a tune. A tuner would be the best first choice if you plan to mod more in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page