Ford Mustang Forum banner

HELP with header install!

2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  addicted0030 
#1 ·
Thought I would install the BBK ceramic shorty's on our 2011 V6 today, barely started and already hit the wall. I cannot get the bolts that connect the exhaust manifold to the cat pipe off! Even went to the store and bought an air ratchet, but it is too weak to turn them loose. How did you guys get these bolts loose/off? Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated. At this point I am probably going to call it a day, as daylight will be gone soon.

#2 ·
I used several long extensions and came in from under the car. It was a little though to get on the nut and they were super tight but it worked.

#3 ·
Chris: when I went at it with extensions I almost stripped the nut! I was using a 15mm deep well socket, a swivel, and a long extension, and it was a no go. Could you please tell me the exact setup you used? What size socket, what size drive, swivels, extensions, etc. Thought I could bang out the install in 6-8 hours, pretty demoralized at this point. Thank you again for all of your help.

#21 ·
Chris: when I went at it with extensions I almost stripped the nut! I was using a 15mm deep well socket, a swivel, and a long extension, and it was a no go. Could you please tell me the exact setup you used? What size socket, what size drive, swivels, extensions, etc. Thought I could bang out the install in 6-8 hours, pretty demoralized at this point. Thank you again for all of your help.
Yeah it sucks but you just got to muscle it out. It took me almost 12 hours to do mine. To be fair it was really the first time i worked on my car besides doing the CAI so im not really experienced but if i can do it then anyone can. Plus when youre done youre gonna love your ride even more. what shorties did you get?

#6 ·
I used that setup minus the swivel. I just wedged the socket onto the nut. Was using 3/8 tools. They were very tight and my car only has 1000 miles on it. Where in town are you?

#9 ·
Yes I did them all from the bottom. I am by Rhodes Ranch. Ft Apache and Blue Diamond. I'll be off tomorrow through next Wednesday if you want some help next time you try.

#11 ·
WD40 or other rust/nut loosen 2 hours to 24 beforebasket.gifbasket.gifbasket.gifbasket.gifbasket.gifbasket.gifbasket.gifbasket.gif

#12 ·
You will need a Breaker bar, no swivel. there will be enough play in the extensions to get it on the nuts, I think I actually broke 2 of them loose with the Bar above the exhaust pipe.
I did use an air ratchet to take the stock manifolds off, and if you might check, they are 1/2 inch, but I did use a 13 mm wrench putting them back on, makes it easier to get the box end on through the headers.

#13 ·
Just ordered some additonal tools for my next shot at the header install. Got a 1/2" deep well 15mm impact socket; 1/2" drive 20" extension bar; 1/2" drive 24" breaker bar; 1/2" drive universal joint impact socket. Bigger, better tools, and the PB Blaster should do the trick.

#17 ·
If you ever need a hand or a tool, let me know. I'm a corporate jet mechanic and have quite a few tools. It would be nice to meet another enthusiast also. :bigthumbsup

#19 ·
Make sure to put all the Studs back in the head before putting the headers in, some will not go back in, the tubes are in the way. Those studs are 5 mm and spray them down the night before also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.