The first oil change - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

The first oil change

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a new Mustang about a month ago now. This being the first brand new car I've owned (14 miles when I drove it off the lot), I was just curious about the first oil change.

Is there a recommended mileage point i.e. 3,000/5,000?

I plan on changing the oil and filter every 5k miles, but I wasn't sure if the first oil change needed to be earlier.

Thanks in advance.

2013 Race Red, Club of America Pkg, Premium V6: BAMA Tuned (89 Street/93 Race), AirRaid TB Spacer, MMD Hood Struts, JLT Race Red CAI, 10% Tint, Pypes Black Pype Bomb Axle-Back Exhaust, SR Lowering Springs (1.5" all around), BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar.

2001 SVT Cobra, BBK CAI, BBK Twin 65mm TB, MSD Blaster Coils, BBK LT Headers, BBK Shorty Off-road H-pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

OP. We have beaten this subject to death on here.
But in a nut shell. Many people choose to do the FIRST oil change at between 500 and 1500 miles to remove any debris that may be present in a new motor. And there is a lot of validity to that statement, as all new engines do produce some amount of metal particles and always will. After that most people, change their oil at recommended intervals, or somewhat before. I think the majority change it in the 3500-55000 mile range.
I personally feel it is worth the money to do the first oil change early.( at around 1000 miles) I have always considered it to be cheap insurance.

Hope this helps.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Yes, there is, it's when the OLM tells you to. However as Rand mentioned a good number of us recomend to do the first one early...I did and this is what I suggest. Others will chime in with their opinions so I say go do it now before you get a 3rd opinion saying it's a waste of $. Now, B4 it's too late.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Yes, there is, it's when the OLM tells you to. However as Rand mentioned a good number of us recomend to do the first one early...I did and this is what I suggest. Others will chime in with their opinions so I say go do it now before you get a 3rd opinion saying it's a waste of $. Now, B4 it's too late.
Good piece of advice Strange.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
But in a nut shell. Many people choose to do the FIRST oil change at between 500 and 1500 miles to remove any debris that may be present in a new motor. And there is a lot of validity to that statement, as all new engines do produce some amount of metal particles and always will. After that most people, change their oil at recommended intervals, or somewhat before. I think the majority change it in the 3500-55000 mile range.
I personally feel it is worth the money to do the first oil change early.( at around 1000 miles) I have always considered it to be cheap insurance.

Hope this helps.
My apologies for recreating another post. Thanks for the heads up, I'm already at just over 2k so it looks like I need to get her in the shop.

2013 Race Red, Club of America Pkg, Premium V6: BAMA Tuned (89 Street/93 Race), AirRaid TB Spacer, MMD Hood Struts, JLT Race Red CAI, 10% Tint, Pypes Black Pype Bomb Axle-Back Exhaust, SR Lowering Springs (1.5" all around), BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar.

2001 SVT Cobra, BBK CAI, BBK Twin 65mm TB, MSD Blaster Coils, BBK LT Headers, BBK Shorty Off-road H-pipe.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

That's what I would do. No apologies required.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013
Apprentice

I couldn't make up my mind about that first oil change either. I ended up changing mine after the first month around 3k miles.

Airaid CAI, Roush axle-backs, Roush high flow upper grill, Raxiom Smoked Projector HIDs
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhance View Post
I couldn't make up my mind about that first oil change either. I ended up changing mine after the first month around 3k miles.
The other school of thought is that the factory puts some special break in additives in, and you should allow those to do their thing for the entire 5000 miles the factory recommends.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post

Hope this helps.
Oh I don`t know, I`m thinking that folks would at least do more than 1 oil change between the 3500-55,000 mile range

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
Apprentice

Garage
When I bought my 2012 new I had my first one done by dealer at a tad more than 3000 miles.
2nd one 5000 miles later
Getting ready to do my 3rd myself at just over 13,200 miles.

I'm sticking with 5000 miles and use the Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend purchase at Walmart and a Puralator filter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2017 Mustang GT. 6 speed . Bone stock. K&N drop in air filter. Shadow black. Purchased brand new 9/5/2017.

(Sold 9/5/2017 )2012 3.7 Kona Blue, 6 Speed , 3.31 Gears. Window Sticker Online 1/26/2012 Build date 2/1/2012. ETA 2/9/2012 TAKE HOME AND RIDING 2/18/2012
K&N Drop in Filter for now. Ford Racing Boss strut tower brace. Bullitt Rims from American Muscle.
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
Oh I don`t know, I`m thinking that folks would at least do more than 1 oil change between the 3500-55,000 mile range
Sorry Ken. I meant 3500-5500 . I cant type lol.

FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Lemon View Post
Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a new Mustang about a month ago now. This being the first brand new car I've owned (14 miles when I drove it off the lot), I was just curious about the first oil change.

Is there a recommended mileage point i.e. 3,000/5,000?
I plan on changing the oil and filter every 5k miles, but I wasn't sure if the first oil change needed to be earlier.
Thanks in advance.
Hello Neon Lemon,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. Your Mustang's message center will alert you when an oil change is required based on your driving habits. It can be up to a year or up to 10,000 miles. You can click the SETUP button to see how much oil life you have remaining. This information can be viewed in your Owner's Manual (3rd Printing). There is no such thing as too many oil changes, however I know many people do the first one a little early due to “break in”. It’s really up to you. I always recommend speaking your servicing Ford Dealer first.

Deysha
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas_ View Post
The other school of thought is that the factory puts some special break in additives in, and you should allow those to do their thing for the entire 5000 miles the factory recommends.
My owner's manual didn't recommend the first oil change until 10k miles. The first batch of oil doesn't contain anything special according to my dealer.

Airaid CAI, Roush axle-backs, Roush high flow upper grill, Raxiom Smoked Projector HIDs
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhance View Post
My owner's manual didn't recommend the first oil change until 10k miles. The first batch of oil doesn't contain anything special according to my dealer.
No car I own WILL EVER have the same oil in it for 10,000 miles. And just for the record, the dealership I buy my cars from agrees.

As for a break in additive. There was some speculation that one might have been used in the 5.0 because of a tick problem. But Ive never heard anything with regards to the 3.7 needing an additive. Again, his information came from my dealer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page