Need new TIRES! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Need new TIRES!

So my stock tires are about done (which is pretty sad, only have 23k miles and burn rubber a few times a year :/ )

Anyways, I am wondering what tires people put on their stock wheels? I don't need super performance, as I only have SR springs and will soon get sway bars. So even with some amazing tires, I think they would be overkill for the stock suspension anyways. I also don't want to spend an excessive amount of money. The stock wheels I believe are 225-60R17, and I really don't know what to be looking for. I do want something better than stock, but am just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions?

JLT CAI -- 73mm BBK TB -- Lone Wolf Ported Manifolds -- BBK Ceramic Shorties -- Borla ATAK Axle Back -- AM Short Throw -- 3.73 Rear -- DSS Aluminum DS -- Barton Shifter Bracket -- MPT 91 Tune -- Koni Yellow's -- J&M CC Plates -- SR Springs -- Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace -- BMR LCA's and Relo's -- HTRZ III 235/55-17 -- JLT Oil Seperator -- Billlet Grille -- GT500 Rear Diffuser -- Blue on Black Cue Ball Shifter Knob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014
BOSS Member

I have been running Yokohama YK 580's (formerly YK 520's) for years on many vehicles....extremely happy with wear, traction & wet/dry performance.....sold primarily through America's Tire company/4 Day Tires. They are a very tough tire IMHO...wife calls me on the phone one day...got a big nail in the tire...went to her work expecting to find the tire flat...it was ok with air, figured I would pull tire and take it for repair....found a bolt, 3/8" diameter....unscrewed it just for giggles to see how long it was..... about 1"....and it didn't penetrate the cord/belt.....not a leak out of it (soap/water). Pulled it anyway, for internal inspection...no damage.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/yk580

IMHO, I would avoid Michelin, BFG like the plague....tread cap separation, sidewall blowouts, excessive wear issues are all commonplace with BFG & Michelin subsidiaries.....it’s not consistent but seem to "rotate" from product line to product line. Michelin dropped the orange oil marketing last year after they initiated a 100,000 tire recall ordered/agreed to by the feds...although others have gone to this technology and seem to have no issues.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014
MACH I Member

I've been running Sumitomo HTRZ IIIs with pretty good luck. Tread life sucks though. Time for me to replace them after a year. Fixing to switch to Conti DWS tires.

I recommend switching from a 225/60 to a 235/55 on the stock 17" wheels. MUCH better tire options in that size.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I see those HTRZ III's at american muscle. And I do like buying from them. But are they good value? There are other options at other sites that have similar priced tires, and I honestly have noooo idea what is good and what isn't in the tire world.

JLT CAI -- 73mm BBK TB -- Lone Wolf Ported Manifolds -- BBK Ceramic Shorties -- Borla ATAK Axle Back -- AM Short Throw -- 3.73 Rear -- DSS Aluminum DS -- Barton Shifter Bracket -- MPT 91 Tune -- Koni Yellow's -- J&M CC Plates -- SR Springs -- Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace -- BMR LCA's and Relo's -- HTRZ III 235/55-17 -- JLT Oil Seperator -- Billlet Grille -- GT500 Rear Diffuser -- Blue on Black Cue Ball Shifter Knob
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014
Apprentice

I just installed Cooper RS3-As last week on mine. I'm thrilled with them. I got the OE Pirellis to last 28k, but these Coopers are better in every aspect. Way quieter, better tread pattern, and quite a bit cheaper. I paid $560 shipped from TreadDepot and paid $48 for mount and balance at my local shop. They're really sticky and do great in the rain. From what I understand these are the same tires that Roush specs on their new Mustangs too.

Airaid CAI, Roush axle-backs, Roush high flow upper grill, Raxiom Smoked Projector HIDs
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot em UP View Post
So my stock tires are about done (which is pretty sad, only have 23k miles and burn rubber a few times a year :/ )

Anyways, I am wondering what tires people put on their stock wheels? I don't need super performance, as I only have SR springs and will soon get sway bars. So even with some amazing tires, I think they would be overkill for the stock suspension anyways. I also don't want to spend an excessive amount of money. The stock wheels I believe are 225-60R17, and I really don't know what to be looking for. I do want something better than stock, but am just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions?
Hey,

I am sorry to hear about your factory tread. That seems really quick, usually hearing they run out closer to 35k miles!

As far as new tires, as suggested before, Sumitomo make a quality tire. I had the HTR III on my 97 GT, they had good traction wet or dry, and gave me decent tread life, especially for a performance tire. I would say, they will do you quite well and are a good all around tire, especially at their price point.

On my 06 GT I had a set of Mickey Thompson Street Comp tires. In my opinion, they are probably the best overall value. They are a bit softer than Sumitomo, and therefore ware slightly quicker, but they kept my 06 with 360 RWHP under control! They are a bit more expensive, but worth every penny. I don't think you would be disappointed with these.

When you purchase a new set of tires, keep in mind we do offer a 6% discount for our forum members. Also, if a competitor has a lower advertised price we will match their price.

If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to myself or contact the customer service team listed below my signature. Good luck!

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
Hey,

I am sorry to hear about your factory tread. That seems really quick, usually hearing they run out closer to 35k miles!

As far as new tires, as suggested before, Sumitomo make a quality tire. I had the HTR III on my 97 GT, they had good traction wet or dry, and gave me decent tread life, especially for a performance tire. I would say, they will do you quite well and are a good all around tire, especially at their price point.

On my 06 GT I had a set of Mickey Thompson Street Comp tires. In my opinion, they are probably the best overall value. They are a bit softer than Sumitomo, and therefore ware slightly quicker, but they kept my 06 with 360 RWHP under control! They are a bit more expensive, but worth every penny. I don't think you would be disappointed with these.

When you purchase a new set of tires, keep in mind we do offer a 6% discount for our forum members. Also, if a competitor has a lower advertised price we will match their price.

If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to myself or contact the customer service team listed below my signature. Good luck!

-Dan
Heh, my stockers only made it about 14k.

OP, I got about 25k out of the Sumi's, but I'll be honest - they needed to go about 5k ago. Had to wait on the income tax to come in. Keep in mind they went through a couple of trips to the strip, a couple burnouts, and some pretty hard driving on what few curvy backroads we have. Spent $116 per tire on TireRack. Oh, I believe treadwear is 300.

This year I'm switching to Continental DWS all seasons in 235/55r17. I hear they're a great tire with plenty of grip on dry and does great in the rain. I don't drive as aggressively or as much lately and these have a better treadwear rating, so they should last me quite awhile.

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

look at michelin pilot sport A/S 3s top A/S tire for dry grip rivaling some summer tires...

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014
GT Member

I look forward to my next tire change. Plan to get summer tires for the first time. Figured it didn't make sense to get A/S because I change to winter tires.

Leaning towards the Conti DWs. I hope I get some good tread wear out of them. I think the Michelin Super Sports don't wear as long...If so, contis should be good enough for a DD.

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

just ordered pilot sport a/s will be interesting comparing them to the summers

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangkid9234 View Post
just ordered pilot sport a/s will be interesting comparing them to the summers
do you drive the stang all year? winter tires?

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Youts guy's may wanna look at the GT radial's on Champiro from China. They really grip wet or dry, and last too! America's tire or Discount tire.

2012 Candy Red 3.7 Cyclone {RIP}
2014 3.7 Cyclone DIB\BMR rear lca;s\ American Racing razor 18x9\275/40/18 Yokohama S-drives\Boss 302 strut brace\Airaid "tube"& aFe inverted Dry-S drop-in\UPR catch can\Koni sports\J&M cc plates\DSS 3.5" 1 piece
Bassani\BMR adj. panhard\
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzcat View Post
do you drive the stang all year? winter tires?
Don't know about him, but I go all year on summers.

PONY Member

He is from LA. If i lived there i would go with Summer tires. My factory Pirelli (235/50-18) tires only lasted 19,000 . I run Cooper (255/45-18) Zeon RS3-A (all Season) now, i'm happy with them but i wish i could run a summer tire all year round. Summer tires grip so much better than all season.

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Apprentice

Pirelli's

Finally got tired of sliding around in the winter on 4/32 tread on the Pirelli (235/50-18) nero zero's but I was so pleased with the performance and life that I bought another set. Amazing the difference a new set is compared to the old ones. Much quieter too. $799.00 from the Ford dealer including an alignment.
Its only my opinion, but a good burnout takes 1000 miles or more off a set each time you do one. Doesn't take many to half the life of your tires. I do them anyway, it is part of the joy of owning a Mustang. But I'll hold off until I get my old tires back on for the summer and burn them off with a clean conscience.

2012 V6 Coupe, Premium, Pony, Grabber Blue
Boss 302 Recaro interior, love it!
Boss 302 front Tower brace.
Closed rear tire gap by shortening stock rear springs by 1.5".

"The harder I work, the luckier I get" (Samual Goldwyn)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page