Lowering the rear end only. How low? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Lowering the rear end only. How low?

Don't mind the look with my factory pony package wheels and 18" tires,but with my summer 19" tires with Brembo wheels the wheel well gap is too big. I haven't seen many that will sell you the rear springs only. Also how low can I go without changing the panhard bar? BMR has rear only springs that give you a 1-1/2" drop.

2012 V6 Premium,Kona Blue, Auto, Pony package, Saddle leather,Quarter louvers,Airaid cai,Ford Racing strut tower brace,flowmaster axleback,JLT oil separator,3:31,
Best e.t. 14.02 @ 101 mph (so far)

1999 vert, V6, Chrome Yellow,bone stock (for now!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014
Banned

1 1/2" drop in the rear with nothing in the front is going to look kind of weird. Why are you thinking along those lines?

Various spring makers have kits that will give you a 1" drop all around. I think you would be happier with the look. Brembo50.com has a spring designed to give just a 1/2 drop in the rear, but these are designed to work with a Brembo GT car. Not sure what the effect would be with a V6.

I think a 1/2" rear drop would be the max you could go without an adjustable panhard bar to recenter the axle.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
1 1/2" drop in the rear with nothing in the front is going to look kind of weird. Why are you thinking along those lines?

Various spring makers have kits that will give you a 1" drop all around. I think you would be happier with the look. Brembo50.com has a spring designed to give just a 1/2 drop in the rear, but these are designed to work with a Brembo GT car. Not sure what the effect would be with a V6.

I think a 1/2" rear drop would be the max you could go without an adjustable panhard bar to recenter the axle.
I find the gap in the front to be acceptable, the one in the back however is much larger. I mentioned the 1-1/2" drop because it's the only ones I've seen that you can by the rear springs only. I've seen the brembo ones but to my eye they don't make enough of a difference.

2012 V6 Premium,Kona Blue, Auto, Pony package, Saddle leather,Quarter louvers,Airaid cai,Ford Racing strut tower brace,flowmaster axleback,JLT oil separator,3:31,

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracer View Post
Don't mind the look with my factory pony package wheels and 18" tires,but with my summer 19" tires with Brembo wheels the wheel well gap is too big. I haven't seen many that will sell you the rear springs only. Also how low can I go without changing the panhard bar? BMR has rear only springs that give you a 1-1/2" drop.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Canadian 2012 V6, MT, Perf.White Pony Package (3.31 gears). Koni Sport Shocks & Struts. Steeda Sport Springs w/HD Mounts, Route 66 SpeedShop 55D rear spring kit. Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace. BMR Adj PHB. BFG G-Force Sport Comp2. Pioneer TS-D6802R Front SPeakers, Clarion 80W/Ch Amp. JL Audio 8 Inch Sub And 175W Amp. GT500 Steering Wheel. 2012+ Tilting Headrests
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
PONY Member

Quote:

Hi spdracer

I have rear Steeda Sport springs for sale if you are interested, used them only a week and lowered the rear about 1inch

I am now using rout66 speedshop 55D spring kit on my V6 and they lower about 3/8

Canadian 2012 V6, MT, Perf.White Pony Package (3.31 gears). Koni Sport Shocks & Struts. Steeda Sport Springs w/HD Mounts, Route 66 SpeedShop 55D rear spring kit. Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace. BMR Adj PHB. BFG G-Force Sport Comp2. Pioneer TS-D6802R Front SPeakers, Clarion 80W/Ch Amp. JL Audio 8 Inch Sub And 175W Amp. GT500 Steering Wheel. 2012+ Tilting Headrests
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
Apprentice

Difficult question, no easy answer

I have been trying to figure it out myself and have found very little helpful information. My "opinion" is that the PP front springs take a set, and in time drop the front end the perfect amount above the tires. However, the rear GT springs don't take a set and leave the rear end too high. My solution was to re-curve the stock rear springs myself so that I could determine just how much to lower the car. I'm not suggesting this as a long term fix, just as a way to figure out what spring to buy.
With 4000 miles on the re-curved set and several different reiterations I have figured out exactly the length of rear spring I need. I want the stock rate so the stock shocks will still be properly calibrated and front and rear will still be in sync.
Unfortunately I have found little published information on those specs from the aftermarket companies. All they supply is the "drop", and most talk about a firmer ride. I need the free length and the rate from each spring manufacturer, and plan on contacting each one directly.
Lastly I only want to buy the rears, the fronts are fine, I like the ride and handling.
Hopefully the money I saved from not buying a bunch of trial springs will pay for an adjustable panhard bar, a necessary component.
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post6136825

For comparison specs I am looking for are a free length of 12.5 inches (about 1.5" shorter than stock) and a rate of 140lb/inch. I know it must seem odd to take 1.5" off the rear and nothing off the front, but that is the dimensions needed to get a 1/2" tire gap difference rake with <40K miles on the front springs. At this point the rear end is offset about 5/16 toward the drivers side, hence the need for a panhard bar.

2012 V6 Coupe, Premium, Pony, Grabber Blue
Boss 302 Recaro interior, love it!
Boss 302 front Tower brace.
Closed rear tire gap by shortening stock rear springs by 1.5".

"The harder I work, the luckier I get" (Samual Goldwyn)

Last edited by 12PPGB; 04-07-2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added dimensions
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
GT Member

Just measure the tire to wheelwell gap compare front to back, if back is greater don't see any reason why you can't just drop the back.

I did that on my '08, bought a set of FRPP springs and just used the rear to level out the car, shifts some more weight to the back. Was cheaper than buying the roush rear only at the time.

Now: 2016 Mustang GT Fastback-Magnetic Metallic, Ford Racing Touring axle-backs, Ford Racing front strut and k-brace, K&N CAI, sound tube delete, 1975 Corvette Coupe-L48, 4-speed

Past Lives: 2001 Corvette Z51 Coupe, 2012 Mustang Grabber Blue Coupe, 2008 Mustang Torch Red Vert, 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, 1985 Nissan 300ZX, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1972 Fiat 124 Vert, 1971 Chevelle, 1970 Challenger
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulozzz View Post
Hi spdracer

I have rear Steeda Sport springs for sale if you are interested, used them only a week and lowered the rear about 1inch

I am now using rout66 speedshop 55D spring kit on my V6 and they lower about 3/8

Are they listed for sale somewhere?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Are they listed for sale somewhere?
Hi Spdracer, just PMed you.... check your mail

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page