Metal particles in oil catch can - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Metal particles in oil catch can

My JLT oil catch can is working really well. I find 2 or 3 tea spoons of engine oil there about every 2000 miles. My car currently has about 3500 miles. The last time I empty it, I notice a lot of metal particles in the oil. Is this normal?

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Not really sure but it makes sense that there would be some amount of metal from break in but a small amount. Otherwise your camshaft or something else maybe being destroyed. Hopefully someone else with more experience in this will chime in for you. Best of luck

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thank you. Is that because I drive too aggressively?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
Not really sure but it makes sense that there would be some amount of metal from break in but a small amount. Otherwise your camshaft or something else maybe being destroyed. Hopefully someone else with more experience in this will chime in for you. Best of luck

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Doubtful, if everything is put together properly your driving shouldn't be an issue. If the car only has 3500 miles I think a little shavings would be ok. Is this a rebuilt engine or a new car? If it's new just watch it and worse case you have the warranty. If it's rebuilt hopefully whoever did it knew what they were doing and most importantly will stand behind their work. Good luck

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Just saw your car is a 2014. Wouldn't worry to much just keep an eye on it and if it continues go have the dealership check it out.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Does your catch can have that steel Brillo pad type stuff as the filter element? That could be the source of the metal.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing kenv said. More than likely the catch can filter. It'd be really hard to get metal in there from the motor.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
Does your catch can have that steel Brillo pad type stuff as the filter element? That could be the source of the metal.
You better hope its coming from the 'catch can' itself. If not, you have 'major' engine problems . Like Ken said, it should be coming from the steel wire filter stuff on the top of the catch can.

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014
MACH I Member

Metal pieces in a catch can PCV vapor collector? Yikes, how many pieces have gone into the combustion chamber? Either your motor is coming apart at the seams or your catch can is a ticking time bomb!

Seriously, the can filter is made of basically stacked round cut screen wire. If the metal looks like screen wire pull the filter out of the can and blow out any loose pieces.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

SHELBY GT 350 Member

I would swap out my oil and maybe send some in to be looked at by Blackstone (or equiv) is it magnetic? also check the screen.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
PONY Member

Metal in the separator is suspicious. If your motor later on exhibits any problems, and you decide to go to the Dealer, you would be well advised to remove the Separator and return it to stock before any visits to the Dealer. Any mod such as the separator will be easy fodder for the Dealer and Ford to nullify the motor warrantee. best regards Plum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page