Improve responsiveness? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Improve responsiveness?

Without getting into FI or engine internals, what are the best options to improve throttle and/or overall response? Please see sig for my current setup.

(BBK) Throttle body - I've read mixed accounts stating a marginal to very noticeable improvement

Gear swap - I currently have 3.31s. I don't think 3.55 would be cost-justified and 3.73 might be too much for cruising comfort, but I'm open to suggestions.

More aggressive tune - I have a Steeda 93. Would going to MPT make much difference?

Other ideas...

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

A tune would make it more "responsive". But if you are looking for more power or quicker take off that is another story.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014
PONY Member

yeah you have ZERO reason to change to a different tuner. steeda and mpt basically tune at the same level.

steeda will do lifetime adjustments on their tunes i believe. just call them, tell them what you want from your tune. they'll adjust it. the guys at steeda are cool as hell.

2013 Performance Pack, MCA, Leather Recaro's, NAV
Steeda Cold Air Intake | BBK Throttle Body | Steeda Shifter Bracket | Whiteline Transmission Mount | Magnaflow Street Catback Exhaust | Tuning Super Store Tuned on a Diablosport Intune i1000 | Eibach Sportline Springs | Koni Sport Dampers (Yellow) | Whiteline Lower Control Arms

Team Magnaflow | Team Road Race Motorsports

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014
Apprentice
S197 Member

I for one noticed the TB quite a bit, I wouldn't have bought it though if it wasn't on sale quite a bit so I'm not sure if you really want to spend that when you could put it towards gears.. If you don't plan to go FI then throw some 3.73s in there, which is what I'd do if I wasn't planning on picking up the LPF turbo.

Black 2011 V6 - Totaled
Candy red 2012 V6 - Sold
Candy red 2013 V6 PP - SCT tuner with Jon Lund tuning, BBK TB, FRPP Sport Axlebacks, Airaid CAI. SOLDDDDDD
2003 Redfire Terminator - Too many mods to list, SOLDDDDDDD
2012 Yellow Blaze 5.0 - M6, Lund tune, GT500s, O/R H pipe, and some other cool stuff
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby2013 View Post
I for one noticed the TB quite a bit, I wouldn't have bought it though if it wasn't on sale quite a bit so I'm not sure if you really want to spend that when you could put it towards gears.. If you don't plan to go FI then throw some 3.73s in there, which is what I'd do if I wasn't planning on picking up the LPF turbo.
Is that kit out yet?

No specs on that kit either.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014
Apprentice
S197 Member

They're working on it. I've been following it somewhat closely and I guess they just have quite a few projects going on at once and haven't gotten it done. They have posted a few pictures of where they have been fitting it in the past couple of days.

Black 2011 V6 - Totaled
Candy red 2012 V6 - Sold
Candy red 2013 V6 PP - SCT tuner with Jon Lund tuning, BBK TB, FRPP Sport Axlebacks, Airaid CAI. SOLDDDDDD
2012 Yellow Blaze 5.0 - M6, Lund tune, GT500s, O/R H pipe, and some other cool stuff
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014
GT Member

gears. whats the hwy speed limit where youre at? with 3.55's at 80 mph im around 2400-2500 rpms and i avg about 27mpg. When i drop back down to 60 or so it goes back up to 30 mpg

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebrix View Post
yeah you have ZERO reason to change to a different tuner. steeda and mpt basically tune at the same level.

steeda will do lifetime adjustments on their tunes i believe. just call them, tell them what you want from your tune. they'll adjust it. the guys at steeda are cool as hell.
Not to dispute your point, I have read several accounts that MPT does harness a bit more than Steeda. Some are just butt dyno comparisons, but honestly that is all i care about. i dont track my car. I'm thinking to drop the $75 and see for myself.

I bought the Steeda tune without buying a tuner from them (I already had it from Bama). at the time they were selling their tunes for $75 and would only tweak it for free to adjust for add ons that you purchase from them.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014
Apprentice
S197 Member

What about a driveshaft? I've heard they help the responsiveness some and I guess that is possible when you take out as much rotational mass that it does. Also, if you're going to change tunes get a Lund. Most say Lund offers the most aggressive tunes and I love mine.

Black 2011 V6 - Totaled
Candy red 2012 V6 - Sold
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

just to shed some light on the tune talk, i just recently switched to mpt and it is night and day difference. so much better response and the shifting is superb on my auto. Also like 3 days before that, i switched to 3.73 gears, which was also an amazing switch. those two things made me re fall in love with my car

2012 v6 mustang base grabber blue auto
Performance: bbk lt headers, bbk o/r midpipe, thrush turbo mufflers, MPT 93r tune, airaid CAI, 3.73 FR gears
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnclutch View Post
just to shed some light on the tune talk, i just recently switched to mpt and it is night and day difference. so much better response and the shifting is superb on my auto. Also like 3 days before that, i switched to 3.73 gears, which was also an amazing switch. those two things made me re fall in love with my car
What tune were you running before MPT?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page