2011 3.7 with 3.73 gears Highway MPGs - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

2011 3.7 with 3.73 gears Highway MPGs

Well I must say that I am very pleased with this little V6s performance. We just drove from the east coast to Phoenix, AZ. Considering that we went from high 70s in NC to 110 Degrees here in AZ., I would say that the little pony performed exceptionally.

She averaged 26.4 MPG (manual calculation) over the course of 9 separate fill ups. I usually fill up between a half tank and quarter tank. My standard cruise control setting was 80 MPH as long as traffic allowed.

I must admit there were a couple of times where we reached triple digits. sometime just for fun and sometimes to show some older GTs not to mess with the 3.7s. Just thought you all might want to know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014
Apprentice

definitely made me consider doing this again. I have just been worried about returning it to stock down the long haul.
Thought of separate rear axle, but i just don't know anymore.
however, knowing that you are getting great gas mileage almost identical to stock numbers at that speed... that makes me reconsider.

2014 Oxford tri-pedal 3.7L- Airaid CAI, BBK TB, Barton 2-post Bracket, AM Short Shifter, DSS Driveshaft, BBK Shorties, Lethal O/R H-pipe with HighFlow Cats Installed, Vibrant Resonators, MagnaFlow Comp Axlebacks.
TRACK PACK WHEELS!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014
PONY Member

Great to hear. Those old GT guys get upset sometimes when all they have is "oh yeah? Well mine sounds cooler"! My 03GT with a 4 speed auto, Borla, Cai didn't even come close to my V6. I suspect it's the 6 speed auto as much as the engine. I moved on.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geestang6 View Post
definitely made me consider doing this again. I have just been worried about returning it to stock down the long haul.
Thought of separate rear axle, but i just don't know anymore.
however, knowing that you are getting great gas mileage almost identical to stock numbers at that speed... that makes me reconsider.
I forgot to mention that I am running the BAMA 87H tune. She really seems to like running at 80MPH. Running 75 MPH I got exactly the same MPG. The worst mileage I got was the last tank and that was 110 degrees and on the hilly terrain between Tucson and Phoenix and that was 25.3 MPG.

I was thinking about getting a stock rear and returning to stock tune for the trip but after this trip I can't see it. When I had the stock tune with the factory gears on the hilly terrain of the NC Piedmont she would only get 28 MPG running 70 MPH. In my mind it just isn't worth the trouble
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014
Apprentice

Debating whether I should return my 3.73 gears or install them. Just decided to move to NYC soon and I'm not sure how much longer I'll be keeping the Mustang if I move there. Not practical
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfire127 View Post
Debating whether I should return my 3.73 gears or install them. Just decided to move to NYC soon and I'm not sure how much longer I'll be keeping the Mustang if I move there. Not practical
how much you want for them had to, the vulture within...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Rocket View Post
I forgot to mention that I am running the BAMA 87H tune. She really seems to like running at 80MPH. Running 75 MPH I got exactly the same MPG. The worst mileage I got was the last tank and that was 110 degrees and on the hilly terrain between Tucson and Phoenix and that was 25.3 MPG.

I was thinking about getting a stock rear and returning to stock tune for the trip but after this trip I can't see it. When I had the stock tune with the factory gears on the hilly terrain of the NC Piedmont she would only get 28 MPG running 70 MPH. In my mind it just isn't worth the trouble
Um...I just drove that road in April and it was flat as a pancake. Route 10.

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDFL View Post
how much you want for them had to, the vulture within...
shipped them back to AM lol, i highly doubt I could get anything better than the refund minus $20 to ship back.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014
PONY Member

I get anywhere between 27-30mpg with 3.73 gears. My city MPGs actually went up some while my highway MPGs maybe dropped 1mpg.
Rookie

me too

went from 32 mpg to 31 with 3.73 from 2.73 city went up about 2 mpg

3.7 V6 3.73 auto best et 14.45 Boise Id.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page