73mm bbk throttle body idle surge - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

73mm bbk throttle body idle surge

I just installed the BBK throttle body last night and before installing I disconnected the battery, pulled fuse 47 and 3, then began install. After install I hooked everything back up and proceeded with the idle learn procedure. It stayed at a constant idle of 1300+ but once I put it into gear it surged to 3000 rpm and would hover between 3000 and 4000 no matter what gear I was in.

For instance if I was in 5th at 40mph the engine kept pulling to get to 3000+ rpms. A code was thrown and car went into limp mode. I believe the code was IACV or something along that nature, I looked at it but figured it was some sort of vacuum leak. I then took everything apart and reinstalled making sure everything was tight and snug.... Same problem...

Soo off to old reliable, aka the original throttle body, and voila no more issues!

Anyone have this issue or would be able to pinpoint the potential problem before I send it back to BBK? I checked the Drive by wire and all gears are moving and flap is operating fine and I couldn't install the throttle body much tighter to the intake manifold without stripping the screws..

BTW my only mod that would affect this is my JLT CAI, which was checked before and after every install..

2012 PP V6 6MT. Lava red interior, tails and corner lights blacked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lea3734 View Post
I just installed the BBK throttle body last night and before installing I disconnected the battery, pulled fuse 47 and 3, then began install. After install I hooked everything back up and proceeded with the idle learn procedure. It stayed at a constant idle of 1300+ but once I put it into gear it surged to 3000 rpm and would hover between 3000 and 4000 no matter what gear I was in.

For instance if I was in 5th at 40mph the engine kept pulling to get to 3000+ rpms. A code was thrown and car went into limp mode. I believe the code was IACV or something along that nature, I looked at it but figured it was some sort of vacuum leak. I then took everything apart and reinstalled making sure everything was tight and snug.... Same problem...

Soo off to old reliable, aka the original throttle body, and voila no more issues!

Anyone have this issue or would be able to pinpoint the potential problem before I send it back to BBK? I checked the Drive by wire and all gears are moving and flap is operating fine and I couldn't install the throttle body much tighter to the intake manifold without stripping the screws..

BTW my only mod that would affect this is my JLT CAI, which was checked before and after every install..
Not quite sure why this happened to you but why did you pull two fuses if you disconnected the battery anyway. If i were you i would redo it all and clean the MAF and all electrical connections with electrical connection cleaner and MAF cleaner. Make sure there aren't any leaks. Then do the idle relearn process again.

2015 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Grey
Stainless H-Pipe, Eibach Sportlines, SVE Drifts
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev6stang View Post
Not quite sure why this happened to you but why did you pull two fuses if you disconnected the battery anyway. If i were you i would redo it all and clean the MAF and all electrical connections with electrical connection cleaner and MAF cleaner. Make sure there aren't any leaks. Then do the idle relearn process again.

I pulled it just as an extra precaution. #47 for the ECU and #3 because SYNC has been acting up. I will try again but I suspect no leaks up until the throttle body since the car is running like normal again with the stock throttle body back on.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Alright guys figured I give an update after just finishing up. I installed it one more time to give it one last shot and same thing happened... After it boggling my mind for a few minutes why I had this issue I can only think of one source of the problem... The Drive by wire connection plate on the outside edge as it is the only electrical connection. I took that off and replaced it with the one from my old throttle body and Voila, fixed!!! No more issues.

The gears inside the drive by wire are exactly the same part numbers as the original "Ford" piece so I don't think I will have any issues. Nevertheless if anyone else has this problem try this. I will still be calling BBK tomorrow to get a replacement for the Drive by wire setup as I payed for a full bolt on working throttle body, not one with a bad connection plate....

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lea3734 View Post
Alright guys figured I give an update after just finishing up. I installed it one more time to give it one last shot and same thing happened... After it boggling my mind for a few minutes why I had this issue I can only think of one source of the problem... The Drive by wire connection plate on the outside edge as it is the only electrical connection. I took that off and replaced it with the one from my old throttle body and Voila, fixed!!! No more issues.

The gears inside the drive by wire are exactly the same part numbers as the original "Ford" piece so I don't think I will have any issues. Nevertheless if anyone else has this problem try this. I will still be calling BBK tomorrow to get a replacement for the Drive by wire setup as I payed for a full bolt on working throttle body, not one with a bad connection plate....
I had same issue. You can find my thread. However you dont need to change anything
there is an calibration procedure you must do with your gas pedal
here check out what I did in this thread

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...pm-issues.html

2012 v6 Tri Yellow Performance Package.
Upgrade to interior only so far.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
Justa37

Didn't you read what he posted gshabanov? He performed the idle relearn and confirmed he had a bad part by swapping in his original plate.

It makes me wonder if the BBK throttle bodies are simply remanufactured units that they modify...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justa37 View Post
Didn't you read what he posted gshabanov? He performed the idle relearn and confirmed he had a bad part by swapping in his original plate.

It makes me wonder if the BBK throttle bodies are simply remanufactured units that they modify...
YOU are WRONG. There are two separate recalibrations. One idle relearn and the other is Drive by wire throttle body recalibration procedure. You should be thanking gshabanov for his input not showing your ignorance........
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
Justa37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbago View Post
YOU are WRONG. There are two separate recalibrations. One idle relearn and the other is Drive by wire throttle body recalibration procedure. You should be thanking gshabanov for his input not showing your ignorance........
Woah, lay off of whatever is making you so cranky. There is literally no need to get this upset. You just made yourself look like an ass for something stupid and consequently is one reason why I left this forum a year ago. The OP's problem is fixed, and not by performing the other procedure posted by gshabanov after the fact.

What gshabanov did was post up a solution to a problem that's already been solved another way and clearly didn't even bother reading what led up to it.

How in anyway is insulting someone useful to the forum Plumbago? sometimes I wonder why I decided to start posting again. Between the V8 guys telling us we are ignorant for buying V6's and hot tempered ignorant babies like you...... No wonder the V6 side of AFM keeps losing members.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justa37 View Post

Yea I read that part. I did assume that it was not the same process.
But if the OP fixed it. Hurray!

2012 v6 Tri Yellow Performance Package.
Upgrade to interior only so far.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshabanov View Post
I had same issue. You can find my thread. However you dont need to change anything
there is an calibration procedure you must do with your gas pedal
here check out what I did in this thread

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...pm-issues.html
Thank you very much, I tried searching but as you know you don't always word things correctly to pull the results that you want to. I will swap the other plate and also do the idle learn procedure as u stated to see if that fixes the problem. I'm curious as to why more people don't experience this. All well, at least the answers are here for those that do.

And for the person that asked if bbk just uses remanufactured units, I doubt that because it is not the same shape and size as the ford throttle body, definitely much is copied from the design and the only thing they could reuse from a remanufactured unit is the drive by wire gears and electrical connections. Those are definitely fords exact parts, which is a great thing imho

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

So how about a review of the TB ? I've been on the fence

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA2011 View Post
So how about a review of the TB ? I've been on the fence
So I already had a JLT intake so my throttle response was already much improved but I was still lacking that low end torque, especially when the a/c was running. I felt a large dip in power from accelerating from 1-2500 rpm, almost like the car was winding a turbo to spool up which was a huge pet peeve.

Post install, the idle is smoother and I finally feel like I have a nice constant powerband starting down low without that dip in power from before. I'd say very much worth it, though not much to be had in the upper rpm range but I didn't care for that, I wanted low end drivability which is what I got. I paid $330 from autoanything plus bbk is running a $40 rebate so I'm at 290 total cost which swayed my purchase in finally going for it. Btw if you are going to get it call autoanything and request a discount.. I did and they gave me 15% off

One more note.. I saw my intake manifold opening that the throttle body was connected to contained 10 fins obstructing the air pathway to reduce the noise of air coming in. A few days after the bbk install I took the upper intake manifold off and dremeled those things out. I didn't ride with just the bbk throttle body long enough to tell you if removing the fins also made a difference but id say do that as well to get the most out of the install

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page