What's the purpose of the solid rubber on the stock muffler? - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
Liv4spd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Rockville
Posts: 339
 
What's the purpose of the solid rubber on the stock muffler?

For those who pulled out their stock muffler before, I am sure you've notice the cylinder-shaped brown color rubber about 2 inches in diameter, and 3 inches long.

It is attached to the rear end of the muffler. Does anyone know the purpose of that? I am thinking if I can take it off and attach it to my new Flowmaster force ii to tone it down a little bit.

Thanks.


===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
Liv4spd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
Yadkin's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Yadkin Valley
Posts: 6,195
 
Garage
That is a resonance damper. These are commonly used when the manufacturer has found that the associated part vibrates during certain conditions. By putting a small damped weight at a strategic area the vibration can be eliminated.

Keep the resonator on your spare parts shelf and don't bother installing it unless you develop a vibration in that area.


2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
Yadkin is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
Liv4spd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Rockville
Posts: 339
 
Thank you for the explanation.

I just installed my Flowmaster Force ii, and find it on the loud side, and it seems to have a drone inside the cabin. I am trying to see if things like this could help reduce the volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
That is a resonance damper. These are commonly used when the manufacturer has found that the associated part vibrates during certain conditions. By putting a small damped weight at a strategic area the vibration can be eliminated.

Keep the resonator on your spare parts shelf and don't bother installing it unless you develop a vibration in that area.

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
Liv4spd is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
Yadkin's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Yadkin Valley
Posts: 6,195
 
Garage
Lots of these aftremarket mufflers drone. The previous owner of my car had installed a cheap Y to Y pipe system with dual mufflers and they were incredibly annoying at highway speeds. My solution was to replace the system with a true dual, and I bought used GT mufflers off craigslist.

If you have the option to replace the mufflers then you should. You could rip out your trunk liner and install dynamat under everything, that will help somewhat, but the real issue is improper tuning of the mufflers by the manufacturer.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
Yadkin is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
Liv4spd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Rockville
Posts: 339
 
Thanks.

I actually installed Dynamat about a year ago. Are there other noise reduction methods besides this one?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
Lots of these aftremarket mufflers drone. The previous owner of my car had installed a cheap Y to Y pipe system with dual mufflers and they were incredibly annoying at highway speeds. My solution was to replace the system with a true dual, and I bought used GT mufflers off craigslist.

If you have the option to replace the mufflers then you should. You could rip out your trunk liner and install dynamat under everything, that will help somewhat, but the real issue is improper tuning of the mufflers by the manufacturer.

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
Liv4spd is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
Yadkin's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Yadkin Valley
Posts: 6,195
 
Garage
That's the most common and one of the most effective. After that you could insulate behind your rear seats, but even if you could cut out all sound through through your trunk I still think you would hear the loud mufflers through the roof, sides and glass.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
Yadkin is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014
Apprentice
 
TorontoGuy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 242
 
Ditch those Flowmasters and get a set of Dynomax axlebacks. Drone at any RPM is my enemy so I'm extremely happy with them.

Check out my post here: https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-axleback.html

2011 Mustang 3.7L, Sterling Gray, 6-speed manual, Interior Upgrade Pkg, HID's, Charcoal leather.
TorontoGuy is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
Liv4spd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Rockville
Posts: 339
 
Thank you so much.

I just watched your video and really love the sound from the interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoGuy View Post
Ditch those Flowmasters and get a set of Dynomax axlebacks. Drone at any RPM is my enemy so I'm extremely happy with them.

Check out my post here: https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-axleback.html

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
Liv4spd is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014
Apprentice
 
TorontoGuy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 242
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv4spd View Post
Thank you so much.

I just watched your video and really love the sound from the interior.
Happy to help The best part about the Dynomax is that it sounds even better in person :p

2011 Mustang 3.7L, Sterling Gray, 6-speed manual, Interior Upgrade Pkg, HID's, Charcoal leather.
TorontoGuy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1