What's the purpose of the solid rubber on the stock muffler? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

What's the purpose of the solid rubber on the stock muffler?

For those who pulled out their stock muffler before, I am sure you've notice the cylinder-shaped brown color rubber about 2 inches in diameter, and 3 inches long.

It is attached to the rear end of the muffler. Does anyone know the purpose of that? I am thinking if I can take it off and attach it to my new Flowmaster force ii to tone it down a little bit.

Thanks.

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
That is a resonance damper. These are commonly used when the manufacturer has found that the associated part vibrates during certain conditions. By putting a small damped weight at a strategic area the vibration can be eliminated.

Keep the resonator on your spare parts shelf and don't bother installing it unless you develop a vibration in that area.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thank you for the explanation.

I just installed my Flowmaster Force ii, and find it on the loud side, and it seems to have a drone inside the cabin. I am trying to see if things like this could help reduce the volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
That is a resonance damper. These are commonly used when the manufacturer has found that the associated part vibrates during certain conditions. By putting a small damped weight at a strategic area the vibration can be eliminated.

Keep the resonator on your spare parts shelf and don't bother installing it unless you develop a vibration in that area.

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Lots of these aftremarket mufflers drone. The previous owner of my car had installed a cheap Y to Y pipe system with dual mufflers and they were incredibly annoying at highway speeds. My solution was to replace the system with a true dual, and I bought used GT mufflers off craigslist.

If you have the option to replace the mufflers then you should. You could rip out your trunk liner and install dynamat under everything, that will help somewhat, but the real issue is improper tuning of the mufflers by the manufacturer.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks.

I actually installed Dynamat about a year ago. Are there other noise reduction methods besides this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
Lots of these aftremarket mufflers drone. The previous owner of my car had installed a cheap Y to Y pipe system with dual mufflers and they were incredibly annoying at highway speeds. My solution was to replace the system with a true dual, and I bought used GT mufflers off craigslist.

If you have the option to replace the mufflers then you should. You could rip out your trunk liner and install dynamat under everything, that will help somewhat, but the real issue is improper tuning of the mufflers by the manufacturer.

===
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
That's the most common and one of the most effective. After that you could insulate behind your rear seats, but even if you could cut out all sound through through your trunk I still think you would hear the loud mufflers through the roof, sides and glass.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014
Apprentice

Ditch those Flowmasters and get a set of Dynomax axlebacks. Drone at any RPM is my enemy so I'm extremely happy with them.

Check out my post here: https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-axleback.html

2011 Mustang 3.7L, Sterling Gray, 6-speed manual, Interior Upgrade Pkg, HID's, Charcoal leather.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thank you so much.

I just watched your video and really love the sound from the interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoGuy View Post
Ditch those Flowmasters and get a set of Dynomax axlebacks. Drone at any RPM is my enemy so I'm extremely happy with them.

Check out my post here: https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-axleback.html

===
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv4spd View Post
Thank you so much.

I just watched your video and really love the sound from the interior.
Happy to help The best part about the Dynomax is that it sounds even better in person :p

2011 Mustang 3.7L, Sterling Gray, 6-speed manual, Interior Upgrade Pkg, HID's, Charcoal leather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page