Engine oil dipstick question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Engine oil dipstick question

No matter how long the car has been parked, the dipstick has oil almost everywhere, often from the bottom all the way to almost 40% of its length. I promise that when I changed my oil, I let the last drop of oil to come out and only added 6 qts of oil to the engine.

However, if I watch carefully, I can still see that the oil level is only at the dipstick's max position. Above that, there is an area of no oil, and further above, oil is everywhere. My question is about the oil high up here. What is going on here? Why does oil gets so high above on the dipstick?

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.

Last edited by Liv4spd; 06-11-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014
PONY Member

The dipstick undoubtedly passes through the oil drain between the head and the block. i have noticed the same thing.

2012 V6 Base. 6-speed. 3.31. Roush Wheel Hop Kit. BMR 38mm Front Swaybar. Camber Modded Koni Yellow Struts. Linear Steeda Sport Springs. J&M Camber Plates. J&M Panhard Bar. Airaid Intake. 93R Bama Tune. BBK Ceramic Shorties. Carbon Fiber Trac-Lok w/ Finned Cover. Hawk SR pads. GT Rotors. Spec Al Flywheel & Stage I Clutch, 18x10.5 ET38 Enkei PF01 Wheels. 285 30 R18 RE-71r tires. Boss 302 Radiator.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740weapon View Post
The dipstick undoubtedly passes through the oil drain between the head and the block. i have noticed the same thing.
Thanks. That sounds like a stupid design.

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014
GT Member

All cars that I have had may have a thin streak on the dipstick all the way up but you should have solid oil across the stick to show true level, if not might want to bring it to a dealer.

Now: 2016 Mustang GT Fastback-Magnetic Metallic, Ford Racing Touring axle-backs, Ford Racing front strut and k-brace, K&N CAI, sound tube delete, 1975 Corvette Coupe-L48, 4-speed

Past Lives: 2001 Corvette Z51 Coupe, 2012 Mustang Grabber Blue Coupe, 2008 Mustang Torch Red Vert, 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, 1985 Nissan 300ZX, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1972 Fiat 124 Vert, 1971 Chevelle, 1970 Challenger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page