Urgent help with a piece of exhaust pipe - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Urgent help with a piece of exhaust pipe

Hi Guys,

I need some urgent help from you. I wen to an outside auto show in a park over the weekend, the staff asked me to drive off road into a ditch to park my car. Unfortunately, I bent my exhaust pipe because of that.

First of all, how do you call this piece of pipe. There are two of them, this one is from the driver side:

Second, is it possible that a shop could reshape my pipe and fix that bend? Currently the pipe is not rounded any more. There are about two feet of it are squeezed flat, significantly reducing the flow.

Thank you so much.

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014
PONY Member

that is a factory bend,yes the flat spot. and its a mid pipe

2014 Black 3.7 6M. 20 inch black bullets, Pypes Axle back, matte black super snake stripes, next up JLT intake.
2011 Mustang 5.0 Race Red. gone and was sick
2011 Mustang 3.7, gone sold 3 times since, that I know of.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thank you for the reply!

Are you sure? Why is the symmetrical one on the passenger side is not bent?

What's the purpose of the bend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wblv17 View Post
that is a factory bend,yes the flat spot. and its a mid pipe

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.

Last edited by Liv4spd; 06-16-2014 at 11:01 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014
Rookie

The over axle pipes do have that bend from the factory. Did you scrape when you went in the ditch? Perhaps you busted something else.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014
KILLER

The flat spot serves to reduce drone by changing the exhaust pulses speeds so their out of sync, which quiets the exhaust note.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014
PONY Member

I'm sorry you went through so much trouble but, its normal. I freaked out when i first saw mine too

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 61,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014
MACH I Member

What these guys said. Also, the flat spot helps align the exhaust perfectly during production.

If you wish to get rid of the flat spot, gettin an aftermarket catback would be the way to go.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2VipeRS View Post
If you wish to get rid of the flat spot, gettin an aftermarket catback would be the way to go.
Or just have that section cut out and weld a new section in...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thank you all for the replies. I have put back the pipe as is.

If it is a factory bend, it must serve some purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I'm sorry you went through so much trouble but, its normal. I freaked out when i first saw mine too

===
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page