issues with my 2012 3.7L - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BrewGuy
  • 1 Post By B.Cooper
  • 1 Post By AMWill
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
hamza's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: Dubai
Posts: 12
 
Garage
Post issues with my 2012 3.7L

So, i just bought my car second hand and it's been two weeks now. I absolutely LOVE this car, previously i had a Mustang 2004 GT and i find it hard to tell the difference between the power of this V6 and my former V8.

Anyhow, coming to the point. I mistakenly left my headlights switched on after a long day of work. I come back the next morning to my car and boom the engine won't start. It makes that horrid tick tick noise and i see the lights switch has been left on and i knew that the battery has been drained.
Later that day i i borrowed some jump cables and jumpstarted my car, i let it sit for a while and revved the engine to get the alternator going and now it works fine i suppose. BUT one of my aftermarket installed xenon lights won't work anymore and the fuel consumption calculator is completely off. for instance in a half tank, the thing reads '190 miles TO E' and at the same time the consumption reader says 9-10 MPG which is ridiculous for a V6. Also the MUSTANG logo on the passenger door frame does not light up anymore.

Can anyone provide me with some help on this? I really dont wanna spend **** loads of money in the garage just two weeks after purchasing this car

hamza is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015
Apprentice
 
BrewGuy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: Topeka
Posts: 176
 
Sounds like you might need a reboot. Try disconnecting your battery for a little while then reconnecting it. When your battery got low, before it died, it reeked havoc on your computer. I have run into this on the locomotives I work on.

hamza likes this.
BrewGuy is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
B.Cooper's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 8,067
               
Welcome to the site! Sorry to hear about the issue you're having, I would do what BrewGuy recommend first. I'm hoping you didn't cause problems from jumping it,I have heard some nightmare stories about newer cars and jump starting them.
hamza likes this.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
B.Cooper is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
hamza's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: Dubai
Posts: 12
 
Garage
thanks for your help guys. @B.Cooper i dont know what you mean by problems caused by jump starting them but the car seemed to work fine after i jumpstarted it except for the issues i pointed out. I did the regular procedure you know; positives with positives and ground with negative, etc.
I'll try the reboot method by disconnecting and reconnecting and i'll keep you all posted about this
hamza is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015
Site Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern,
Posts: 1,817
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamza View Post
So, i just bought my car second hand and it's been two weeks now. I absolutely LOVE this car, previously i had a Mustang 2004 GT and i find it hard to tell the difference between the power of this V6 and my former V8.

Anyhow, coming to the point. I mistakenly left my headlights switched on after a long day of work. I come back the next morning to my car and boom the engine won't start. It makes that horrid tick tick noise and i see the lights switch has been left on and i knew that the battery has been drained.
Later that day i i borrowed some jump cables and jumpstarted my car, i let it sit for a while and revved the engine to get the alternator going and now it works fine i suppose. BUT one of my aftermarket installed xenon lights won't work anymore and the fuel consumption calculator is completely off. for instance in a half tank, the thing reads '190 miles TO E' and at the same time the consumption reader says 9-10 MPG which is ridiculous for a V6. Also the MUSTANG logo on the passenger door frame does not light up anymore.

Can anyone provide me with some help on this? I really dont wanna spend **** loads of money in the garage just two weeks after purchasing this car
Hey Hamza,

I think re-booting your system via unhooking the battery for a few should fix these problems.

Everything was drained and then reset when the battery died so simply driving the car and a quick restart should help bring things back into shape.

Hope this helps.

-Will
hamza likes this.

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
AMWill is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
hamza's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: Dubai
Posts: 12
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWill View Post
Hey Hamza,

I think re-booting your system via unhooking the battery for a few should fix these problems.

Everything was drained and then reset when the battery died so simply driving the car and a quick restart should help bring things back into shape.

Hope this helps.

-Will
thanks! are there any tips on how to unhook the battery. i read online somewhere that it is recommended to remove the negative side first then the positive side. Is that true? and anything else i need to know?
hamza is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015
Site Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern,
Posts: 1,817
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamza View Post
thanks! are there any tips on how to unhook the battery. i read online somewhere that it is recommended to remove the negative side first then the positive side. Is that true? and anything else i need to know?
That is correct! Simply pop the negative side off, then the positive, let it sit for about ten minutes, then re-install!

Keep me updated!

-Will

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
AMWill is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015
PONY Member
 
rangerdoc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Alamo City
Posts: 544
 
Buy one of these headlight switches. It is a direct replacement for the one you have. You can leave it in the auto position and your lights will automatically turn on/off for you. There is also a version without foglights if you want that, but either will work.

HEADLAMP SWITCH for 2012 Ford Mustang|9R3Z-11654-CA

2008 Bullitt|Roush M90 w/2.57 pulley & CAI; 90mm MAF; Steeda-UCA, LCAs, Ultralites, links, mounts; MM CC plates; Bilsteins; GT500 FCAs; Brembos; Roush shifter; GT500KR axle back; etc
1969 Coupe Restomod-never complete!
2008 Power Wheels Bullitt Clone
Mustangs from the past: 66 coupe, 69 Coupe, 69 Grande, 2001 Bullitt, 2011 V6
rangerdoc is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
Strange Mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: small town CT
Posts: 5,387
         
ignore the mpg as your computer got angry...it'll auto correct. w/o insulting I would check fuses/power/bulbs for the lights but idk. I will caution that draining a battery is hard on it and it seems Ford puts in mediocre battery's. Leave jumpers in your trunk till you determine that it will hold a charge.

enjoy your new ride.

just read "borrowed jumper cables"

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Strange Mud is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
hamza's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: Dubai
Posts: 12
 
Garage
umm it didn't really help i reconnected the battery and all it did was reset my radio, the units on the car etc.
I took it to the garage and the guy there showed me that the xenon head lights had somehow become defected since it was open for so long. all systems OK though that's a relief. The MPG calculator is still very very off but the ' MILES TO E' is showing a correct readout now after filling up the gas tank completely.
The garage guy also said there is nothing he can do about the mustang logo on the door frame. he suggested to go to an official dealer. Its kinda strange though, even the provided driver's manual makes no mention of it or of any relevant fuse(s) for its operation.

@Strange Mud LOL yeah borrowed. i was surprised too that there was none at my home. Altogether I've had a Trailblazer, Land Rover Defender and an Armada and i've never needed to jump start my car.

@rangerdoc I'll probably purchase that aftermarket auto lights off accessory, all my previous cars had that feature.
hamza is offline  
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
Strange Mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: small town CT
Posts: 5,387
         
you'll have to hit reset on the mpg calculator....I'm not convinced about the head lamps but if your mechanic is good ya gotta believe him (Mud thinks if anything coincidence) If you have a test light/multimeter I'll give hints on how to trouble shoot lights if you want.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Strange Mud is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
hamza's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: Dubai
Posts: 12
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
you'll have to hit reset on the mpg calculator....I'm not convinced about the head lamps but if your mechanic is good ya gotta believe him (Mud thinks if anything coincidence) If you have a test light/multimeter I'll give hints on how to trouble shoot lights if you want.
hahah yeah i mean i hit reset when it started giving the strange numbers. and then leave it for a while. doesnt help.

about the lights, he tried a different lights set and they worked with the same connections, i'm just going to have to change those. Anyway they were Chinese and cheap.

I can get my hands on a multimeter and i'd appreciate it if you could guide me on how to fix the mustang logo lights on the passenger door frame.
hamza is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1