first mods, catback vs axleback - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

first mods, catback vs axleback

So I was going to buy a Pypes mid muffler catback, but once I checked the forums, people were saying catbacks weren't worth it over axle backs on the newer s197 mustangs. Since the factory piping is good, the catbaacks wouldn't do anything that axlebacks could except delete resonators for a "little more" volume. I need honest opinions on catbacks vs axle backs. Also getting a JLT intake and tuner with it.

2014 Automatic V6 Grabber Blue| Roush Axle backs| JLT CAI| 93 Oct Bama race Tune| SR Strut Tower Brace| GTCS Spoiler|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015
FiK
PONY Member

Garage
Depends on your end goals. If you don't plan on doing much, axlebacks are fine. Honestly, for the price difference, I would rather get my money's worth out of the catback, since it's just a bit more, and then you are deleting the resonators and increasing the pipe diameter.

Stay away from the Roush's if you plan on doing headers at some point. Period.

2011 3.7L Performance Pack (3.31 gear); BMR Springs (1.0, 1.25), Adj Panhard, UCAM, UCA, CABs, LCAs; Tokico DSP-12s; GT500 Strut Mounts; DSS AL Driveshaft; JLT Oil Catch; TSW Interlagos 20x8.5 & Falken 255/35R20 x 4; Audio Sys; Amsoil Sig Series 5W-30/EAO17; Pypes 3" Catback;
On the shelf: H&R SS (1.7/2.4); MM 11+ CC Plates;

RICE
is anyone driving any vehicle with Race-Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015
GT Member

not sure what you have been reading, The v6 doesnt have resonators. It does, however, have flattened out pipes in some areas. I beleive the pipes are 2.25 and can go down to 2 where the pipes are flattened. This is what i did (when i had a '11 v6), and i think it was well worth it. I bought the borla axel backs and then later added the Dynomax over axle pipes (got from advanced auto for $45 a piece) and had an exhaust shop weld the OEM ball and socket type connections on the ends to i could take it all apart later on if i wanted. The sound difference was much better. There was a slight throttle responce difference but it was probably in my head.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Why do headers and Roush not mix?

2014 Automatic V6 Grabber Blue| Roush Axle backs| JLT CAI| 93 Oct Bama race Tune| SR Strut Tower Brace| GTCS Spoiler|
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thai_fighter View Post
What do you mean. People dont like them together because they are stupid loud and raspy.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpenguin69 View Post
What do you mean. People dont like them together because they are stupid loud and raspy.
SO you mean the Roush sound good alone, but when put with other mods, their sound gets worse?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Depends if your town has a noise ordinance or not

2011 Race Red GT vert, 5.0 A6
FRPP ProCal, JLT oil separator, Boss 302 quads w/ Corsa Xtreme axle backs, Koni STR.T (orange), GT500 strut mounts, Steeda Sports, Steeda billet LCAs, Steeda adj UCA, Steeda adj rear swaybar, BMR adj panhard, BMR lca relocation brackets, Boss 302 lower front fascia
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I'm just looking for sound that's loud enough but also power increase, 5+ hp is fine. I'm just pretty sure axle backs won't do that.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Does anyone know how to get the discount code on here?

GT Member

Quote:
Does anyone know how to get the discount code on here?
discount code for where?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

American Muscle. Sorry for not being clear.

Apprentice

A cat-back system will give you new mandrel bent over-axles, better flow. I don't know about yours but my 12 has two flat spots, one on each side of the over-axles you could play cards and set 40ozs on...

2008 California Special: Boss 302 stroker, KB huffer, driveline, fuel, electronics, suspension, chassis, some outdoor pretty parts, Boss 338's i.e. nothing really left that's stock. Meth injection under construction. Tuned by Chris Tuten at The Muffler Shop.
2012 California Special (DD): Minor modding, just looking for sound, throttle response, and handling from this one, nothing fancy. Tuned by Steeda.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

The stock pipes aren't mandrel bent?

GT Member

Quote:
The stock pipes aren't mandrel bent?
They are mandrel bent from factory but they have flat spots on the part by the gas tank. You can see it just by looking under your car in the parking lot. Its also only 2.25 inches

Search for AMDanBailer he is a site sponser. He is the bro you see in AM's videos.

MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Axle backs for sound....nothing will increase HP from the stock exhaust....

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page