Shorty install Fail - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Shorty install Fail

I knew the header install on the mustang was bad but this is my second failed attempt. Sprayed the 2 nuts near the collector with PB Blaster and left overnight but they still won't budge! Running out of options other than having a shop do it. Not having a lift and air tools blows. Anyone have any tips before I give up?

Also noticed a section of one of my exhaust piping to be slightly flattened, not sure how much of an issue this is. Probably came from the factory like this but obviously I find this out only after the warranty ran out earlier this year....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160608_131707.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	863.6 KB
ID:	523730  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

In my limited experience if a nut is that corroded it will take heat or cutting to get it off. A shop should not charge that much to do the job. Take the car to one for an estimate.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016
PONY Member

Torch it red hot.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
the flat spot is from a speed bump more than likely, didn't come from the factory that way. if you don't have access to a torch set up, you can try the butane flame canisters for a lot cheaper. they don't get as hot but still may work. I used one on the rear pinion driveshaft bolts (heated the flat mating surface) and had success. not sure why Ford chose to use star point driveshaft bolts. PITA. that was on my 93' but anyway....good luck
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl817 View Post
the flat spot is from a speed bump more than likely, didn't come from the factory that way. if you don't have access to a torch set up, you can try the butane flame canisters for a lot cheaper. they don't get as hot but still may work. I used one on the rear pinion driveshaft bolts (heated the flat mating surface) and had success. not sure why Ford chose to use star point driveshaft bolts. PITA. that was on my 93' but anyway....good luck
If I had a lift I would be good with torching the damn things but crawling under the car with a torch and with the location being so cramped it's a disaster waiting to happen. I should leave this one up to the experts as advised by Kenv.

If it was from a speed bump both pipes would be dented equally or at least scrape marks should be visible on the other. A hit like that would have made quite a noise too and no one else drives my car.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Did you buy your car new or used? Isn't that the spot that the factory resonators are normally located or do the V6s not come with the resonators?

Either way, check to see if the other pipe has the same flat spot along the top of the pipe in the same place. My guess is that the flat spots are from the factory as they are on the GT resonators.
mustang-lover05 likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl817 View Post
The Flat spot is there to make the left pipe and the right pipe different to get rid of drone in the factory system.
As for getting the nuts off of the mid pipe. I did mine in my garage with the car on jack stands, you need extension long enough to get down below the pipe and a breaker bar with an extra piece of pipe that slides over the breaker bar for a cheater. They will either break loose or break. I had to cut 1 of mine off with a 4.5 inch grinder with a metal cutting wheel.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
You're right it's by design, I see peeps on other forums worrying about the same flattened section.

I used a 10 in. extension with a breaker bar and didn't have any room to turn the bar. I'll have to buy the 20 in. extension and give it a go. Thanks!

Do you know if yours had resonators? I don't recall seeing them on mine, I'll have to check tomorrow.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterang View Post
You're right it's by design, I see peeps on other forums worrying about the same flattened section.

I used a 10 in. extension with a breaker bar and didn't have any room to turn the bar. I'll have to buy the 20 in. extension and give it a go. Thanks!

Do you know if yours had resonators? I don't recall seeing them on mine, I'll have to check tomorrow.
The Resonators are right after the bend at the bottom of the Catalytic converter.

One of the nuts on the right side is hard to get too even with the extensions, but using more than one makes it easier to get down below the mid pipe.
Masterang likes this.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
GT Member

v6 and 5.0's had different over axle pipes. V6 had flat spots and 5.0 had resonators.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Hi all,

I (barely) managed to get the 2 nuts at the collector end out with an impact wrench so that problem is solved. Torching it did not work as well, $400 later and 1,100 reverse torque impact wrench worked it's magic.

The first 13mm nut at the engine block end was ok coming out (Pic 1) the rest are all rusted tight. I took the impact wrench to the lower ones and the stem from the engine block came off with the rusted nut still in place!, see Pic 2. Can I just put some red loctite on there and thread it back into the engine block or is this a bigger problem?? Thanks.

Edit: Not an issue, the spindle comes out and new bolts from the manufacturer go in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20160611_141146 - Copy.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	566.5 KB
ID:	524049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160611_141154.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	524057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160611_141221 - Copy.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	800.9 KB
ID:	524065  

Last edited by Masterang; 06-11-2016 at 11:34 PM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpenguin69 View Post
v6 and 5.0's had different over axle pipes. V6 had flat spots and 5.0 had resonators.
V6 has resonators too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20160609_142111.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	524073  
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterang View Post
V6 has resonators too.
like I stated, v6 doesn't have them on the over axle pipe.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
Rookie

Garage
Mine has the same dent on the passenger side, in my opinion is from the factory but i could be wrong.

The Ford Mustang is more than just a car, is passion and family.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafforr2012gt View Post
Mine has the same dent on the passenger side, in my opinion is from the factory but i could be wrong.
Yes it's from the factory, not a problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page