Brembo Tires in Rain - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F91 View Post
I'm thinking we need to get a list of the Mustang owners on this site, get a cruise together or something. Blewitt pass to Leavenworth anyone?
Yah that would be awesome. Need an Official Washington State 5.0 Owner's Thread!

DELIVERED: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium, Kona Blue, Black Leather Interior, HIDs, 3.73, Security, 19 inch Painted Aluminum Rims - Roush: Front Valance, Front/Side Splitters

Washington State 5.0 Owner's Thread:

allfordmustangs.com/forums/west-coast/240489-official-washington-state-5-0-owners-thread.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Seattle here I've pretty much decided against the brembo brakes for a couple of reasons. First, I guess, is I've never really been able to understand why I would need them? The car will be an everyday driver for me, and sure, I'll drive it pretty spirited once in awhile, but I just can't understand why, unless I were to drive....um....shall we say, TOO spirited, are better brakes that important? It seems it has good stopping power without them. It's not like the standard brakes are inadequate, but maybe I'm missing something? I'd love to be educated more on this. Especially since I've read that with brembos, the front and rear braking seems a bit "unbalanced", if that's the right word.

Also, it just seems more prudent to have all season tires. Yeah, not a lot of snow in Seattle, but I just see drawbacks with having summer only tires on wet or "occasionally" icy roads.

Also, ugh, I really dislike the fact that Brembo-equipped cars don't have a spare tire

2011 GT premium, Red metallic, black interior, 19" wheels, manual transmission, 3.55 ratio, electronics and comfort packages, camera, HID
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_C View Post
Seattle here I've pretty much decided against the brembo brakes for a couple of reasons. First, I guess, is I've never really been able to understand why I would need them? The car will be an everyday driver for me, and sure, I'll drive it pretty spirited once in awhile, but I just can't understand why, unless I were to drive....um....shall we say, TOO spirited, are better brakes that important? It seems it has good stopping power without them. It's not like the standard brakes are inadequate, but maybe I'm missing something? I'd love to be educated more on this. Especially since I've read that with brembos, the front and rear braking seems a bit "unbalanced", if that's the right word.

Also, it just seems more prudent to have all season tires. Yeah, not a lot of snow in Seattle, but I just see drawbacks with having summer only tires on wet or "occasionally" icy roads.

Also, ugh, I really dislike the fact that Brembo-equipped cars don't have a spare tire
A man after my own heart Paul. I'm starting to think the same thing. Even on the 2010 GT (which I almost bought but decided to wait once I heard the 5.0 was coming) I loved how the car handled. I'm not sure I want to mess with that.

When I was shopping last year I drove a 2010 GT w/3.73 gears that was lowered and decided that I didnt like the way that felt. IMO, the lowering took away from how smooth the stock settings were. I read somewhere that you feel more of the road with the Brembo package/settings.

DELIVERED: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium, Kona Blue, Black Leather Interior, HIDs, 3.73, Security, 19 inch Painted Aluminum Rims - Roush: Front Valance, Front/Side Splitters

allfordmustangs.com/forums/west-coast/240489-official-washington-state-5-0-owners-thread.html

PONY Member

On the plus-side for the Brembo's....There's a reason every Mustang that Ford provided for magazine tests had the Brembo Pkg. The tires. The P-Zero summer tires contribute more to handling and braking than any other option. The big 14" rotors will fade less under demanding use.

The negatives (in addition to the $1600 option cost) is very short tire life.

If the car's a daily driver and you drive a bit aggressively, you might be shelling out close to two-grand every year for tires. Also not great in cooler/colder weather and a short 40-series sidewall is not all that comfortable on less than perfect pavement.

On the other hand, the stock brakes -are- pretty damn good; upgraded for '11 with 13.2" front rotors and 2 piston aluminum calipers and the car will still handle great. The all season 18" or 19" tires will perform well year-round ('cept real snow) give a better ride, less chance of wheel damage and last 2-3 times longer and cost 1/2 of the P-Zero's.

I'm still undecided....but -if- I do get the Brembos, the brand-new wheels and P-zeros will be for sale and replaced on my car with take-off GT500/SVT 18" wheels with some meaty 255/45-18 all-season tires. I think the car looks better w/18's and the ride should be improved on the crappy roads around NYC.

Hey, it's not a easy decision esp. if the car will be driven year-round in colder weather. If you are going to drive really hard on the street (preferably on the track) then get the Brembos. If you enjoy a sane blast on country roads on the weekends, up to 7-tenths or so with a little cool-down in between, the stock brake should be fine. At least that's my take up to now.

2011 Kona Blue/Charcoal GT, 400A Premium,6sp MT, HID's, Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.73's, Koni SRT/SteedaSports+Panhard, GT500 Mufflers
'06 Mazda Tribute,'05 Honda ST1300
'03 Yamaha FZ1000 '98 '00 '02 '04 Ford Expedition
'93 Buick Regal '90 Ford Explorer '87 F-250HD Diesel
'85 Yamaha FJ1100 '83 Honda NightHawk 650
'80 Olds Cutlass '70 Ford LTD
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2000 View Post
On the plus-side for the Brembo's....There's a reason every Mustang that Ford provided for magazine tests had the Brembo Pkg. The tires. The P-Zero summer tires contribute more to handling and braking than any other option. The big 14" rotors will fade less under demanding use.

The negatives (in addition to the $1600 option cost) is very short tire life.

If the car's a daily driver and you drive a bit aggressively, you might be shelling out close to two-grand every year for tires. Also not great in cooler/colder weather and a short 40-series sidewall is not all that comfortable on less than perfect pavement.

On the other hand, the stock brakes -are- pretty damn good; upgraded for '11 with 13.2" front rotors and 2 piston aluminum calipers and the car will still handle great. The all season 18" or 19" tires will perform well year-round ('cept real snow) give a better ride, less chance of wheel damage and last 2-3 times longer and cost 1/2 of the P-Zero's.

I'm still undecided....but -if- I do get the Brembos, the brand-new wheels and P-zeros will be for sale and replaced on my car with take-off GT500/SVT 18" wheels with some meaty 255/45-18 all-season tires. I think the car looks better w/18's and the ride should be improved on the crappy roads around NYC.

Hey, it's not a easy decision esp. if the car will be driven year-round in colder weather. If you are going to drive really hard on the street (preferably on the track) then get the Brembos. If you enjoy a sane blast on country roads on the weekends, up to 7-tenths or so with a little cool-down in between, the stock brake should be fine. At least that's my take up to now.
+1, awesome post. You've settled it for me. I'm getting the 19' aluminum wheels. Overall just a good tire/rim choice for me and where I live. I loved the ride of the stock 2010 GT w/3.73 so I imagine I'll love this one too. Ugh, wish it was here now!

F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
I want the top of the line accelerating and handling Mustang that there is. That said, I'm getting the 3.73's and the brembos. I'm never going to look back and say shoulda.

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
Apprentice

Quote:
I'm thinking we need to get a list of the Mustang owners on this site, get a cruise together or something. Blewitt pass to Leavenworth anyone?
I love that drive! I take trips to Eastern Washington all the time and when heading back on hiqhway 2 I'll usually cut over Blewitt pass. One for the scenery and two because it is actually quicker with respect to both time and miles. Back in 2004 I owned a Mach 1 and that drive was one of the ones I took. I Can't wait to do it again.

How about one around Mt. St. Helens? Or for an overnighter heading up to Republic/Kettle Falls/Colville and over to the Pend Orielle area would also be cool.

Just get me out of King County.

Greg

2011 Mustang GT Premium Coupe 6-Speed Manual
Performance White/Charcoal with 401A and Grabber Blue Stripe
HID's, Security Package, 3.55, Brembos
Ordered 5-18, VIN 5-25, Window Sticker 6-02, Spawned 06-09-10, Delivered 07-03-10
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilram11 View Post
A man after my own heart Paul. I'm starting to think the same thing. Even on the 2010 GT (which I almost bought but decided to wait once I heard the 5.0 was coming) I loved how the car handled. I'm not sure I want to mess with that.

When I was shopping last year I drove a 2010 GT w/3.73 gears that was lowered and decided that I didnt like the way that felt. IMO, the lowering took away from how smooth the stock settings were. I read somewhere that you feel more of the road with the Brembo package/settings.
Keep in mind every rave review of the 2011 GT has been a car with the Brembo's. The compliments with regard to handling and steering have all been for cars with this package. I read a Motor Trend article at the Dr. office today and it did mention a slight concern with front brakes under continued aggressive driving which sounds like perhaps they are not perfectly balanced.

I drove a 2010 with the track pack in March and man was that car nice. I hope my 2011 is close to that. As far as the 2011 maybe being too stiff, my daily driver is a compact 4X4 truck so I am sure this car won't be too stiff. In fact, I much prefer a firm controlled ride. My 2004 Mach 1 was a mush mobile.

I agree that in casual driving you won't need them but hey they fill out the 19" wheels a lot better than the stock 12.whatevers for those who like a good looking car.

Greg

Edit: I just read the post above claiming the standard GT rotors are 13". I don't think that is right. Aren't they 12.5"?

Ordered 5-18, VIN 5-25, Window Sticker 6-02, Spawned 06-09-10, Delivered 07-03-10
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
I'm in! That St. Helens drive is great too. Heck- White Pass, Chinook, it's all good. I won't get my GT till August though, so hopefully, you guys will wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor111 View Post
I love that drive! I take trips to Eastern Washington all the time and when heading back on hiqhway 2 I'll usually cut over Blewitt pass. One for the scenery and two because it is actually quicker with respect to both time and miles. Back in 2004 I owned a Mach 1 and that drive was one of the ones I took. I Can't wait to do it again.

How about one around Mt. St. Helens? Or for an overnighter heading up to Republic/Kettle Falls/Colville and over to the Pend Orielle area would also be cool.

Just get me out of King County.

Greg

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
I'm in! That St. Helens drive is great too. Heck- White Pass, Chinook, it's all good. I won't get my GT till August though,
so hopefully, you guys will wait.
Heck you guys should start doing ride monthly during the summer. When I get mine I'll join in!

MAK
Apprentice

The PZero Nero tires are OK tires but they don't stick like summer tires.

My Brembo pack came with Goodyear Eagle F1 tires and they handle very well. I thought I was going to get the Zeros. The F1s are much better than my previous 10 with the Neros. Yes I sold it to get the 5.0 for my 50th. (nuts yes) Not sure how long they will last given how fast these cars are going in and out of corners but that is why I want them.

The 5.0 is a true muscle car! Fast and handles nice.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor111 View Post

Edit: I just read the post above claiming the standard GT rotors are 13". I don't think that is right. Aren't they 12.5"?
13.2" front, 11.8" rear

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2...g_GT_Specs.pdf

2011 Kona Blue/Charcoal GT, 400A Premium,6sp MT, HID's, Security Package, Comfort Package, 3.73's, Koni SRT/SteedaSports+Panhard, GT500 Mufflers
'06 Mazda Tribute,'05 Honda ST1300
'03 Yamaha FZ1000 '98 '00 '02 '04 Ford Expedition
'93 Buick Regal '90 Ford Explorer '87 F-250HD Diesel
'85 Yamaha FJ1100 '83 Honda NightHawk 650
'80 Olds Cutlass '70 Ford LTD
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by adspru View Post
I wouldn't swicth the tire size if you do decide to go with all season replacements, The brembo rim's are a 1/2 inch wider than the optional 19's.
The size he is referring to is the aspect ratio. I might do that myself when the Pirelli's wear out. That would help fill out the wheel well a little bit as well.

Greg

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2000 View Post
When the $400/each P-Zero's wear out in less than 10k miles, you could go with a all-season 245/45-19 like the other factory 19" wheels come with.
Does anyone else think those tires will wear out that fast?

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilram11 View Post
Heck you guys should start doing ride monthly during the summer. When I get mine I'll join in!
So far I count the following Puget Sound area guys in this thread:

emilram11 Seattle
GregorII Kirkland
F91 Port Orchard
PaulC Seattle
Ronald62 Seattle area
brycerichert Newcastle
wannapony Marysvile / Tulalip

Be happy to join in local trip, if I ever get my ride.

2011 GT Coupe - candy red, auto, all the options
Mods - Roush supercharger, FRPP Sport axle-back mufflers, Forgestar CF5 gloss black staggered wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page