Cold Air Intake on new 5.0! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Cold Air Intake on new 5.0!

Have any of you that already have your new 2011 5.0's tried the new cold air intake from MMR?If so are you happy with it?Its the first mod im thinkin of adding.

2011 Grabber Blue 5.0=Shelby GT500 spoiler,GT500 Rear Diffuser,CDC Chin Spoiler,Billet gas cap,quarter window louvers,side scoops,19' polished aluminum wheels.
Performance mods=Magnaflow catback and C&L CAI with custom tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Fords air intakes have gotten worlds better since 09.

You may want to try a tune as your first mod, especially if you got an Auto.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRocket76 View Post
Have any of you that already have your new 2011 5.0's tried the new cold air intake from MMR?If so are you happy with it?Its the first mod im thinkin of adding.

It didnt work too good.

YouTube - 2011 MUSTANG GT MMR CAI TESTING BY WOODBINE MOTORSPORTS

YouTube - WOODBINE MOTORSPORTS DYNO TESTING THE MMR CAI FOR THE 2011 MUSTANG GT 5.0

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010
PONY Member

Too soon, I would waste my money until I knew the choices. And as mentioned, if FRPP has one, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I have a machined one from them on my 2006 and I love it.

2006 GT, FRPP drag pack, FRPP handling pack
2011 GT ordered 1/30, off the truck on 6/21

Black GT - 401a, Black/Cashmere interior
6 spd, spoiler delete, security package
3.73, HID, comfort package
Brembo brake package, Glass top
First mod - CS front fascia
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Rowdy View Post
Too soon, I would waste my money until I knew the choices. And as mentioned, if FRPP has one, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I have a machined one from them on my 2006 and I love it.
I am not getting any CAI. The best intake upgrade is a Supercharger.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Fan View Post
I am not getting any CAI. The best intake upgrade is a Supercharger.

That's even better

2006 GT, FRPP drag pack, FRPP handling pack
2011 GT ordered 1/30, off the truck on 6/21

Black GT - 401a, Black/Cashmere interior
6 spd, spoiler delete, security package
3.73, HID, comfort package
Brembo brake package, Glass top
First mod - CS front fascia
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks.Yea im probably going to wait and see what my other options are when more become available.

2011 Grabber Blue 5.0=Shelby GT500 spoiler,GT500 Rear Diffuser,CDC Chin Spoiler,Billet gas cap,quarter window louvers,side scoops,19' polished aluminum wheels.
Performance mods=Magnaflow catback and C&L CAI with custom tune.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010
Apprentice

This is what I would get.

I have the C&L with the tune from Brenspeed on my 2007 and it is great.

Suprisingly, the new 5.0 responds even better to tuning than the 3V 4.6 did. That VVCT, 4V and high flow heads leaves lots of room for improvement over the conservative stock settings.

I would wait until you can get a CAI and tuner package. 30whp would be about what you are looking at for gains. That's a lot more power for the $$.

CAI and tune alone will drop .4 seconds off your 1/4 mile time. You'll be running 12.3-12.6 @ 113-115mph all day if you can drive decently.

Throw on some slicks and you may see some 11's with the 3.73. That's pretty insane for a 30K car.
PONY Member
S197 Member

That's a good looking intake, and with the power that SCT is already getting out of the 5.0L with their initial tunes, it will be a good combination.

I learned from my current GT that it's just better to buy a supercharger in the long run if you want performance. After you spend $800 on a Cold Air Intake and Tune to get 30rwhp, you could just spend $4,000-6,000 and get a WORLD of difference.

Right now the estimated power levels of the 5.0 with Supercharger are in the 575hp - 650hp range.

2005 GT Premium - Mineral Grey 5-speed MT
Vortech Supercharged - Steeda Billet LCAs, Steeda UCA, UPR adj. Panhard bar, FRPP K-member brace, GT500 Strut Tower Brace, Walbro 255lph Dual pump, FRPP 39# injectors, AIS Water/Meth Injection, Ported Throttle Body. 440rwhp / 406rwtq
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to fox_granit
I'm not looking to modiry mine at all, but I am throwing in a K&N Air filter to help out. Other than that mabey a tuner. Not much else. This is my everyday driver. Gotta be careful with my baby (once I get her OYE)

2x 2011 GT Premiums, 401a, #4 package, tint and stripes

Yeah owning two 5.0s is awesome, but you want to know what's better?
Having a wife who knows how to drive them!
PONY Member

i would go with the c&l one. it looks way better than the mmr one. plus it does have the noise transmission tube

2013 Boss 302
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularMuscle View Post
That's a good looking intake, and with the power that SCT is already getting out of the 5.0L with their initial tunes, it will be a good combination.

I learned from my current GT that it's just better to buy a supercharger in the long run if you want performance. After you spend $800 on a Cold Air Intake and Tune to get 30rwhp, you could just spend $4,000-6,000 and get a WORLD of difference.

Right now the estimated power levels of the 5.0 with Supercharger are in the 575hp - 650hp range.
Not everybody can drop 6K (I hope nobody finances a SC or turbo) or has the desire to have 600hp.

Exhaust, intake and tune on these cars are getting it in the 460hp range and will put you in the 11's with drag tires. That's more than fast enough for the average guy who likes a fast car.

Grossly overestimating the cost of the mods is just silly. 800 for intake and tune? There will be combo packs for 600 bucks like the current '05-'10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page