Tranny question for anyone with an 11, 5.0, 6speed - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
S197 Member

these 11's have soft clutches and hard shifts..give it some break in time to loosen up

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I don't believe it is recommended to shift into 1st gear until you are very close to a complete stop. I know my 08 Bullitt will resist any premature down shifting to protect both the engine and tranny.

PONY Member

No real reason to shift into 1st and hold in clutch if coming to a stop. Just put into neutral and then when stopped, into 1st. Depending what gear you are in, it will slip out into neutral without using the clutch, potentially saving wear on the clutch (and old knees like mine!)

2011 GT Premium, Sterling gray/ black interior,
400A, HIDs, security , comfort
louvers, scoops, rear cover,MRT struts
19" nickel lustre wheels, GT500 mufflers
3.73, 6 sp manual, CDC Classic chin, smoked corners

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

I don't do this shifting into 1st. I wait for a complete stop before going to first. I'm just trying to explain what the shifting would feel like from my experiences with the much older trannies that I had.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavel View Post
I don't do this shifting into 1st. I wait for a complete stop before going to first. I'm just trying to explain what the shifting would feel like from my experiences with the much older trannies that I had.
I get that sensation if I try to force 2nd gear when it wants 4th, and only at lower speeds - otherwise it shifts smoothly into 2nd. That is the only occasion I get that. All other gear shift smoothly.

2011 GT Premium Manual Trans
- Performance White with Stone Leather interior
- Electronics Package, 3.73 rear end, HID, Security, 19" wheels, Backup Cam
Banned
4.6L Member

Another crappy Mustang shifter? Geez why would it be any different than the last 40 years? Get an aftermarket unit as soon as you can.
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Are they not using the same short shifter with carbon fiber clutch plate from the GT500s that came on last years track pack?

I had read they were.

The difference between my regular base mustang (truck shifter) and the Shelby GT500 short throw set up was like going from a truck to an RX8.

I miss 3rd once in a while when downsifting for an extremely aggressive pass around 70mph on the highway ..but ..if i pause a second i can hit it....

I am surprised to hear anyone is having trouble with the 11 shifters.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page