What are the advantages/disadvantages in 17 /18 19 in wheels? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

What are the advantages/disadvantages in 17 /18 19 in wheels?

A mechanical question from a novice who wants to learn. I was looking at the Mustang v6 premium, and they offer 17 or 18 inch wheels. The GT offers an option of 18 or 19 inch wheels (If I read correct).

My question is, is there any advantage or disadvantage or particular purpose to the three different wheel sizes?

Again, I am looking to educate myself so when I am ready to order,I know what I want, and why.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010
Apprentice

There's a lot of little factors, but larger diameter wheels are mostly for looks and to clear larger brakes.

Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver
(Note wheels are increasing in weight. This is not going from a heavy 15 to a light racing 17) Notice the decrease in speed, but increased grip pad (which is only a part of handling)

Assuming similar tires below:
Weight and psi mostly determine the size of the contact patch. A wider tire will have the same size tire patch, but the patch would be more side to side. Greater initial grip, greater side to side grip, smaller front to back contact patch so when it does break grip it'll slip more.

Larger wheels will also mean smaller sidewalls and a harsher ride.

Note this is generalities - you'll find lightweight larger wheels, tires designed slightly different based on size, and a host of other factors play into it.

On the Mustang, the difference would probably be similar to the chart. 18s a little slower, but better side to side grip and a harsher ride.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member

Wider tires grip better and give a smoother ride but they do not roll as easily meaning that its slightly harder to go the same speed with bigger tires but in your case it wont be a noticable difference.

Rip 2003 mustang
~~2004 v6 mustang~~
VAP Auto Windstar intake ,65 mm Version
BBk high flow filter ,Mac long tube headers
Mac Off Road H Pipe
Magnaflow magnapacks catback
Diablo Tune, Steeda X2 lowering Ball joints
8.5mm super conductor wires,NGK iridiumsprkplugs

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thank you!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda13 View Post
There's a lot of little factors, but larger diameter wheels are mostly for looks and to clear larger brakes.

Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver
(Note wheels are increasing in weight. This is not going from a heavy 15 to a light racing 17) Notice the decrease in speed, but increased grip pad (which is only a part of handling)

Assuming similar tires below:
Weight and psi mostly determine the size of the contact patch. A wider tire will have the same size tire patch, but the patch would be more side to side. Greater initial grip, greater side to side grip, smaller front to back contact patch so when it does break grip it'll slip more.

Larger wheels will also mean smaller sidewalls and a harsher ride.

Note this is generalities - you'll find lightweight larger wheels, tires designed slightly different based on size, and a host of other factors play into it.

On the Mustang, the difference would probably be similar to the chart. 18s a little slower, but better side to side grip and a harsher ride.

Very interesting article. It's surprising that increased wheel size noticeably reduces acceleration. Since the overall diameter is virtually unchanged (speedometer error is constant, except at 19 in), only the increased weight would account for the reduced acceleration. Shows how critical light weight is to acceleration.

Personally my main concern would be with reduced tire section heights. Super low profile tires are obviously going to be more prone to bottoming out, rim damage, harsh ride, etc. On the Mustang GT I ordered, I got 19 in wheels for looks, with P245/45R19 tires hoping they are not too low profile. The 40 profile tires on the Brembo brake pkg seem pretty skinny to me.

2011 GT Coupe - candy red, auto, all the options
Mods - Roush supercharger, FRPP Sport axle-back mufflers, Forgestar CF5 gloss black staggered wheels
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010
Apprentice

tire comparison
Tire Size Calculator | Compare Tire Sizes ๏̯͡๏
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire compare.jpg
Views:	19191
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	101185  

2011 Mustang GT
Performance White / Brick Red / Manual / 3.55
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010
Rookie
S197 Member

The other big differences are in cornering and in overall contribution of the tires to spring rates.

Shorter sidewalls are stiffer, so you get less tire squirm in cornering with a shorter sidewall.

Taller sidewalls give more room for tire deflection over bumps, so they contribute substantially to the overall spring rate of the suspension. In racing applications, a shorter sidewall is preferred so that the spring rates can be better controlled by changes to the suspension.

In my case, it came down to looks. Being old school, I like the taller tire profile in blackwall. It recalls the look of late-60s street Mustangs.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010
PONY Member

Does anybody know what the different size wheels available for the mustangs (from the factory) weigh?

2011 V6 Premium Auto 2.73
1 of 8 2011 Grabber Blue with MCA package and glass roof
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010
GT Member

I have one with 19" wheels and one with 17" wheels. The two don't compare in handling and ride (also one is '10 GT w/TrackPack and other is '06 V-6 Premium). The GT handles very well, but the ride is somewhat harsh for daily driving. The V-6 is a cruiser. Nice ride and decent handling combo. Perfect for daily driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page