Anyone else have bumpy ride qaulity on 19 inch tires? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Dana W
  • 1 Post By 15ecoblack
  • 1 Post By dgc333

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Anyone else have bumpy ride qaulity on 19 inch tires?

I hate the fact the mustangs come with low profile tires. The 19 inch tires seem to give way to a bumpy ride qaulity on less than perfect roads. Anyone else notice this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Any larger than 18" wheels in an overall 27"+- tire leads to stiffer sidewalls, which leads to a harsher ride. Yup, many of us noticed, and didn't buy them.

huberoy123, HuntingKy and Beechkid like this.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I didn't have much choice when buying a used mustang. Made the mistake of falling in love with an ecoboost mustang with 19s. Didn't realize how difficult these tires are. Wouldn't buy another car with low profile tires especially size 19
huberoy123 likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017
Rookie

I didn't totally notice how rough of a ride my Ecoboost was with it having 20" tires. I like a firm ride but not sure this firm.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017
Apprentice

Don't have an Ecoboost, I have a GT Premium with the 18 inch wheels, ride quality is great especially when compared to my previous car.

I had 19's on a 350z before I purchased this mustang. I'll never go to a low profile tire again, ever. The ride is horrible, the rims get destroyed and so on.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017
Apprentice

Wow!!
Mine EB came with 18s and I've been eyeing the 19s with envy. Now I'm having second thoughts.
I drive 120 miles a day back and fourth to work so I wouldn't want to jeopardize my commute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017
PONY Member

I find the ride quality of both my 15 and now my 17 Ecoboost Mustangs with the Performance Package (19" wheels) to be to be very good for a 40 series tire. I have a set of 18" wheels with 225/55 tires for my winter set and don't find the ride appreciably different.
Old Goat Ninja likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017
Apprentice

I really should know better than to believe most of what comes out of a car salesman's mouth, but after I went for a test drive in an Ecoboost with the 20" Foundry wheels on it (OMG it beat me to death) I asked if there was any difference between the Ecoboost suspension and the V6 suspension. My question was met with an immediate "no". I didn't want my V6's smooth ride (17" wheels stock) to completely disappear, so I opted for 19" with 40-series tires. I can barely feel a difference. Wouldn't this suggest that the V6 suspension is softer?

O.P., if you'd like some 17" wheels with some very smooth-riding 55-series tires, mine are up for sale. :-)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017
PONY Member

Interesting. Stock my car had 18's with a 235/50 tire and now have 20's with a 285/35 tire on back, and 255/35 on front, and honestly, my ride is at least as good as the stock set up. My ride quality hasn't suffered at all.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

As you can see from the different replies, it is a very subjective thing. Some people like "firm" and others call it "harsh."

It depends on the sidewall stiffness and load rating of the tires, and the tire pressure, too; not just the sidewall height.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member

My measure of how good a suspension is how well it handles all the broken pavement that exists in my area.

A harsh suspension is one that bangs, gives you hard jolts over broken pavement and skips around as it transverses a section of broken pavement. The performance package suspension on my Mustang handles broken pavement with a lot of composure. It does not bang, jolt or skip around, just a firm thunk thunk. When I put on the 18" 55 series winter tires I do not notice any difference in the way it rides.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by eswilly View Post
Wow!!
Mine EB came with 18s and I've been eyeing the 19s with envy. Now I'm having second thoughts.
I drive 120 miles a day back and fourth to work so I wouldn't want to jeopardize my commute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it depends on your tastes and the type of roads you drive on. Do you have any friends who have a vehicle with low profile tires and a stiff ride? You might drive around in that for a bit to try and gauge what the ride quality is going to be like. You can also always take one for a test drive and find a bumpy road to get an idea what it's like.

My experience with low profile tires on my previous car might be worse then the Mustang. The 350z had 17 inch rims, adding 2 inches to the rim and reducing the tire size so much likely made the ride worse because the 350z suspension was set up for a completely different tire size.

My biggest complaint with the low profile tires I had, was that I was constantly damaging rims. You don't see pot hole or can't dodge a road hazard and your rim is toast. When I traded in the car my rims were egg shaped, I got sick of spending replacing the rims. I don't think rim damage would be as much of an issue on the Mustang, Ford likely made sure 19 inch rims and tires can take the rigors of driving.

You should also look into performance comparisons before you do it. It would be a bummer to lose some of your lateral G capabilities IMO.
Apprentice

Interesting, my EB is the Pony Package that came with 19" wheels. Nothing has jumped out at me as being bumpy... Honestly after driving in my daily driver (Honda Fit) or occasionally taking my 05 GT out for a spin, being in the EB Mustang is like floating on air. It reminds me of my old 5.0 92 T-Bird I once had. I really love the car, love the way it drives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page