Buy Back on my 2017 Ecoboost Premium - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Post Buy Back on my 2017 Ecoboost Premium

My beautiful Lightning Blue 2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium 6 speed manual had an Advance Trac warning light come on back in the first week of December. I had to go in for an oil change and tire rotation so I asked the dealer to check to see if a code would pop up That was on December 8th. That's the last time I've been behind the wheel pf the car. The dealer said that I had a bad traction control sensor but that the sensor was embedded in the steering rack so a new rack would have to be ordered. It was. Then it was again. Finally, after 50 days it came in. A day later I get a call from the service writer saying that the cars computer was not reading the new part but they were working on it. Two days later I get a call from the dealer telling me that Ford will have to write new code for my car and they had no clue how long that would take. They also gave me the number for Ford's National Customer Service line. I called Ford, explained my situation and when I told them that the car had been in the shop for 56 days they said they would investigate and initiate the Buy Back process. I got a call back the next day from someone in the buyback program and was told they'd have it processed within 7 days. Hoping to hear back next Friday. Needless to say I'm bummed. My Mustang was my dream car and I only got to drive it for 4100 miles.

Anyone in the forum have any experience with this problem or gone through a buy back?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018
Apprentice

Will they replace the car? Order one just like it? Id be bummed too. My 2015 has 75k miles. If I had that issue Im sure they wouldnt return my calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018
BOSS Member

Garage
I just went through a buyback on a 2017 GT350! I had mine in for warranty paint repair and the shop the dealer sublet the work to had the car for a month and performed an absolutely atrocious repair. It was so bad that you wouldn't have accepted it on a 10 year old Focus, let alone a brand new Shelby. Just like you I requested a buyback from Ford I had to wait about a week for a response. They agreed and sent my case to their Reacquired Vehicles group. Keep in mind that even if you do not initiate the buyback as a Lemon Law claim Ford treats the claim as if it were a Lemon Law claim made through your state so you will want to see if your vehicle meets those requirements - based on what you've shared it appears your car does but you will want to research and make sure.

If they approve of your request you will be given the option to either replace the car or have the purchase price refunded less the mileage you've already put on the car. If you choose the replacement then you go to go to a dealer agreed on with the RAV representative you're working with and can exchange for any Ford vehicle of equal or greater MSRP. If you choose the refund then you'll eventually turn the car in and receive a check for whatever equity you have in the car. The remainder of the loan balance - if any- will be paid to your lending institution. Keep in mind that some dealers may not be willing to work with you on an exchange - not because they may or may not lose money- but because it can be a slow and somewhat painful process.

I chose the refund and it was indeed a painfully slow process. From start to finish it took about two months with a lot of frustrating silence and fairly poor communication. In the end though the purchase price, licensing fees, tax and other fees associated with buying the car were paid in full less the ~$450 for the 950 miles I had already put on the car. Mileage deduction is also based on your states Lemon Law calculation.

Good luck.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018
Rookie

New to this forum and considering buying a 2018 GT but after poking around in here I'm seeing a lot of problems that I have not encountered with the 20 cars I have had in my life. I have never owned or leased a Ford product. A couple of GM products and the rest were Japanese or European. When I see things like warranty paint repair on a new car or buy backs because of power train issues that sends me the other way. I think the new Mustang is the best looking car on the road these days and the performance and handling now rival some of the pricier Euro cars but if it's not going to stay screwed together than I just can't go there.

Too bad.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing View Post
New to this forum and considering buying a 2018 GT but after poking around in here I'm seeing a lot of problems that I have not encountered with the 20 cars I have had in my life. I have never owned or leased a Ford product. A couple of GM products and the rest were Japanese or European. When I see things like warranty paint repair on a new car or buy backs because of power train issues that sends me the other way. I think the new Mustang is the best looking car on the road these days and the performance and handling now rival some of the pricier Euro cars but if it's not going to stay screwed together than I just can't go there.

Too bad.
Anything mass produced will have a few bad ones get by quality control. People with problems 'speak louder' than those who don't.

Go to the Corvette Forum and read around. You'll read stories about how the dealer treats 'some people' like crap. Dealers doing body damage by just getting their new Vette on the rack. Dealers not even knowing how to do a simple oil change Etc. etc. etc.

'Little Red'. 2011 V-6 Mustang. Automatic Trans. C&L C.A.I. Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-Pipe. Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs. 3.73 rear gears. GT 500 Lower Control Arms. JLT Catch Can. Axle Exchange Aluminum Drive Shaft. Steeda Watts Link. Several more mods...1991 F150 4X4 59,000 miles. Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018
PONY Member
2.3L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing View Post

Too bad.

Lately, every time you post, this image pops up in my head,,,,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trolling Motor.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	604381  

1989 2.3 Fastback, traded for:
2007 4.0 V6 Mustang, Victim of Black Ice

2011 3.7 Pony Package, Traded for:
2018 GT 5.0 Premium
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Up Classics View Post
...the sensor was embedded in the steering rack....
I have to wonder why a new steering rack wouldn't have solved the problem. By replacing the rack, they wouldn't be doing anything that the factory didn't do while assembling the car....so why the 'code' issue? Needless complexity backfires.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
Anything mass produced will have a few bad ones get by quality control. People with problems 'speak louder' than those who don't.

Go to the Corvette Forum and read around. You'll read stories about how the dealer treats 'some people' like crap. Dealers doing body damage by just getting their new Vette on the rack. Dealers not even knowing how to do a simple oil change Etc. etc. etc.
Especially when the quality control is being done in Flat Rock Michigan lol. As far as believing that everyone on line with an issue or problem are just blowing smoke then why are there now 2 service bulletins issued for the 2018 Mustang GT's transmission? One including the "inability to shift into 3rd of 4th gear due to a broken shift linkage" ( that's Fords language in the bulletin BTW) and one issued in May with "possible difficulty shifting into 2nd gear. With Ford currently having a recall on 350,000 F150's and Navigators for transmissions that are failing I'm sure they want to avoid another recall but were forced to issue these bulletins because enough cars were limped into dealerships and they had to. That's what has happened. I'm not trolling. I was ready to buy. Like the car a lot. Don't like new 50k sports cars that I have to worry about the transmission right out of the box. If it was a faulty airbag or a faulty hood latch I'd be driving it by now. Transmission? Not so much.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018
Apprentice

Well I have a story for you guys. I just bought a 2019 Ingot Silver Mustang GT brand new from a dealership and encountered issues on the drive home that I had not noticed on the test drive. The horn is too quiet, the screen flickers when it enters night mode, which has to do with a faulty backlight, and lastly the USB port is broken. When I plug something into the USB port and try to remove the cable, that gentle force of removing a cable makes the whole USB console come apart with wires hanging. So I mentioned all these problems to my dealership and the car has been there for a week now and they are waiting on parts to fix the car. How in the hell can Ford let a car like that at 50k leave the factory and go on sale? Well I contacted Ford about this matter on live chat from their website and I told them I want them to buyback my car and that I would consider ordering a replacement. Now I am waiting for the car to get fixed and to get a response from Ford

Retired but not forgotten
2014 Mustang V6 Performance Pack, Airaid CAI, Automatic 3.31
stock 0-60: 5.8 seconds
tune and cai: 5.2 seconds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in