Actual gas mileage receiving - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Actual gas mileage receiving

Hey guys, as you may recall, I purchased a 2017 Mustang EcoBoost almost two weeks ago. Today I went on a 400 mile road trip, all freeway, with an average speed of 65 mph, on cruise control, and I am using 91 octane fuel (the best you can get here in California), I topped out at 28.7 MPG's. Thus I am curious as to what the actual MPG's are people around the county (world) are actually getting out of their 2015-2017 Mustang EcoBoost (and heck, GT's too).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018
Rookie

The last tank I averaged 20 mpg - I drive 50 miles round trip on weekdays and itís full pedal to the floor on weekend as I zip around town.

This morning I used cruise control and it seems to really help mpg.

I also think the top down has an impact on mpg.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018
Apprentice

Iím always at 25.
I drive mostly highway; 60 miles each way from home to work and vs versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018
Apprentice

Garage
I bought my 2016 new. A larger B-W turbo with intercooler and a complete Borla intake and exhaust has been installed with the appropriate tune. I drive only about 13 miles per day back and forth to work at city speeds, but I am often on the highway or cruising through the nearby forest with the pedal to the floor. I am by no means a conservative driver and I average 25.1 MPG. I have not reset that since I first bought her. So I think that pretty great on a 357 hp, 4-cylinder sports car.
eswilly likes this.

Thom C.
Stay Tuned, Y'all...

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Although I topped out at 28.7 mpg on a 400 mile freeway drive, I typically get 22-24. I know Ford claims 30 MPG and yes, I know they are never correct. But am curious. At 22 MPG, maybe I should have just forked out the extra $10K for a GT.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018
PONY Member

I can get 24/25 on a all freeway trip in my GT.

I think overall averages are where the Eco shines though. Hope so anyways. My overall average is only 18.4, with a freeway/city split of roughly 70/30. My in town MPG kills my overall. I think I get 12/13 in town.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018
Rookie

I am currently at just over 4K km. My overall average is 9L/100km which in American is 26 MPG. The best that I have seen during a trip (top up) was 7.2L/100km or a hair under 33 MPG but then I ran into traffic and by the time I pulled in the driveway it wasn't as good as that. The trip out that day with the top down was 7.6L/100km or ~31 MPG.
ImAnthony likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybeerotten View Post
I am currently at just over 4K km. My overall average is 9L/100km which in American is 26 MPG. The best that I have seen during a trip (top up) was 7.2L/100km or a hair under 33 MPG but then I ran into traffic and by the time I pulled in the driveway it wasn't as good as that. The trip out that day with the top down was 7.6L/100km or ~31 MPG.
WOW, impressive. I routinely am getting 22-25 MPG's. I grant I was expecting a bit more on my straight highway 400 mile road trip than 28.7, as I have taken other cars on that same trip and I got the best MPG's of each respective car by making that same road trip.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybeerotten View Post

Does top down affect MPL for you?
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAnthony View Post
Does top down affect MPL for you?
I would say yes, as you would get more turbulence with the top down. When I first got the car I was doing my work commute (~25 km, mostly highway in relatively good traffic as I am going the opposite way) top down both ways, weather permitting. Then I started driving in with the top up and home down, so my overall driving is probably 70/30 top down/up. I have just crossed 5K km and am showing a lifetime average of 9L/100 km (26 mpg/US gallon). However, the last couple of tanks have crept up on consumption, the last one being 9.8 (24 mpg). I am wondering if this coincides with the change to "winter" gasoline which occurred around the beginning of October.
Rookie

Just an add to my earlier post. I am now on winter rubber (235/55-17) and did a trip from Toronto to Niagara Falls, NY on Saturday, close to 300 km in total. Some delay idling at the bridge going, less coming back and a bit of in town driving in and around NF. I was showing 7.6 on the dash, which is just under 31 mpUSg. However, I have recently put all my receipts and mileage into a spreadsheet and not that the dash is a little optimistic, by about 0.5 litres, so on that assumption the trip returned about 29 mpUSg.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Might be just me but my '14 averages about 17 to 18 lol, I think I just drive WAYYYYY too fast

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Just last week I topped out at 31.3 MPG on the freeway. But I normally get 21 City with 26 highway with a combined of 24 MPG's.
Rookie

FWIW my 2018 GT with the automatic averages 22 just driving around town and some highway mixed in. It gets 26.5 (on paper) on a road trip from Richmond, VA to central WV through the mountains so it looks like there isn't much of a difference with the 5.0 engine. I run cheap 87 octane and have never heard it ping.
Apprentice

Still driving 60 miles each way I95. Very little city driving. Just hit 100K on my 2015. Still avg 25.1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page